JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I'm looking into getting my first ar. I've been looking at the ruger sr556e and I like what it has to offer. But I just got back from the gun shop and I saw a either dpms or cmmg ar10 in .308 and I like that one too. They are pretty much in the same price range. Which one should I go with? Is the 308 round better than the 556? It's my first ar so I'm looking for some good advice. If any one has experience with ar let me know. Thanks

All it is going to opinions. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. Once you know them you will have to decide.

AR-15 is going to be lighter and slightly smaller. Ammo is going to be about about 40% cheeper. More accessories and generally at cheeper prices.
AR-10 in .308 is a great caliber. Every thing for them is bigger and heavier. Recoil is going to be heavier. Less rounds/mag. There are 2 main different "AR-10" so depending on what one you get you will have to make sure which parts/accessories you get.

Both are great, get both.......

Having owned both, i'll say this. the SR556 is an awesome gun, but it is a tank. by the time you add a 30rd full mag, optics, and other accessories, it it pretty heavy. Shoots awesome, never had any issues with mine.
the DPMS LR 308 with 24" bbl, is a shooter. it too is a bit heavy, but after all, it is a physically much bigger gun. I still have this gun, sub MOA groups at 100 with the pos stock trigger. Will buy a trigger kit eventually, will probably never sell this gun.

ammo comparison, you can find boxes of .223 for $300/1000 rounds. .308 can be had for as little as $400/1000, but not sure on the quality of that ammo.

If you can afford shooting .308, I would go with AR10. Though it's not going to be a dpms or cmmg if I were you.

So start with AR15, get familiar with the rifle and step up.

Is the 308 round better than the 556? It's my first ar so I'm looking for some good advice. If any one has experience with ar let me know.

7.62 vs 5.56, it's not one is better than the other, it's they are different, 5.56 lighter but less powerful, everything is a compromise.

The sr556e is a piston AR, the typical AR is a DI gas system. Each type has pros and cons.

The .308 AR's can be found in at least four different magazine requirements. The SR-25 mags are the de facto standard with the ArmaLite modified M14 mags second (Gen I and Gen II mags) There are G3 mags and FAL mags also.

I would recommend a DI AR15 to start with. Learn the rifle system and as you gain more experience you can upgrade to the different systems. 99% of the AR market is DI.

The 7.62 AR's are going to be larger and heavier than the 5.56 AR's by a considerable amount.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top