JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Need some opinions here people. I have been saving up for my first AR for awhile now. My dilemma is whether I should purchase an M&P15 sport for around $620 otd or continue saving for a higher quality build? The higher quality build would consist of either a DD or Noveske upper, and a lower built by me. I am looking at entry level DD & Noveske uppers for under $900. So looking at $620 vs $1150ish. The rifle will be used for range and possibly deer at some point. I do not purchase firearms often, nor do I sell them. I realize that for my use the sport would be more suited. However, I dont mind saving up and purchasing a higher quality product. Also in the back of my mind is SHTF scenario. Having the dust cover and a more accurate rifle would help in such a situation. Chances are it won't happen obviously, but I don't want to purchase the sport and be disappointed. Im leaving towards building as I feel that the benefits of a higher end build will be worth the wait. Sorry for the long post..just been sitting on this for awhile now.

Any responses are greatly appreciated.

The real catch here is deer. If you intend to use it for deer hunting then the M&P Sport isn't adequate as the round is not legal for deer hunting. (Definitely not in WA and I'm pretty sure not in OR but you would need to check to be certain) I personally opted for a mid level AR and then changed the barrel to a .300 blackout. This is not necessarily the best for SHTF but does provide a good brush gun which is what we encounter when deer hunting in this area more than anything and the round is legal for it. I probably could have saved a few bucks with a complete build but that is okay as I helped support a local business and friend at the same time. IF SHTF then I can swap the original barrel back on it in 5 or 10 minutes to make it easier to use ammo that may be more readily available.

Strong points. I believe it is legal to hunt deer in oregon with .223, but don't quote me on that. I like the idea of using two uppers 300BO for hunt and the 5.56 for target. Great idea

Yes, the 5.56/.223 caliber IS legal for hunting in OR. It is NOT legal in WA but no reason it should not be since it is in many areas. But I see nothing in the OP post about hunting........

One thing to keep in mind is you keep throwing "quality" out there as what you are buying. That is not a accurate assessment. Every name you have listed ARE quality guns. What you are paying for is different features and different grade on some parts.

The M&P is built with quality parts that will out last the majority of users. Think of it as getting standard parts, or Milspec, or OEM parts for you car. Then you have companies that spend more time making custom parts or using higher grades of materials and you can compare this to "premium" parts for your car. I know that is not the best comparison in the world.

Why not split the difference between a cheapo rifle for $620 and a build for $1100+ ?

You could buy a really nice AR in the $8-900 range and call it done. Building an AR is great fun, but having a quality, name brand AR fresh out of the box for your initial rifle may be a better longer term investment.

............The rifle will be used for range and possibly deer at some point. .............

Yes, the 5.56/.223 caliber IS legal for hunting in OR. It is NOT legal in WA but no reason it should not be since it is in many areas. But I see nothing in the OP post about hunting........

Thanks for the clarification on the calibers in OR. Looks like I need to read the current hunting regulations there. Not sure I would want to use a 5.56/.223 round for deer unless it was a survival situation but still nice to know.

Most of the accuracy is from the upper portion.
(Twist, Barrel, buffer, BCG)

Id go entry level and if that doesnt suit you sell the 556 upper later on and buy an upper that suits your needs.

For what its worth i built my first AR just this past december for a grand total of about $650(all mill spec parts)..i totally recommend being patient and going that route.. gives you good knowledge of what makes the platform tick. if you cant wait, theres no shame in getting the S&W, they are solid rifles.. and if you want to hunt with it, you can always save up for a .300AAC(or some other caliber whos mags fit in a standard mag well) upper down the line..

if you do decide to build your own, id recommend checking out PSA.. they have the best prices on uppers and lowers you'll find(usually).. just stay away from the Ptac line..Ammunition, Magazines, Rifle Parts, Bulk Ammo and Rifle Accessories - Palmetto State Armory

I was planning on building my first but ended up buying a rock river predator pursuit. After pricing it out the rock river was a good choice.
I'm building a pistol now.

Wow thanks for the all the responses! I think im going to build at this point. It seems that it may be cheaper in the long run to build exactly what I want. I also just read that building does save you the 10% tax on complete ARs...is this a fact?

Wow thanks for the all the responses! I think im going to build at this point. It seems that it may be cheaper in the long run to build exactly what I want. I also just read that building does save you the 10% tax on complete ARs...is this a fact?
Yes, not sure on the percentage but there is a tax on complete firearms that is already figured in the prices.

My first AR was an M&P Sport. Still have it AND still love it. Awesome rifle, and has never let me down. I will probably never get rid of it. I do not regret getting it, It is a quality rifle.

first AR? buy the cheapest one you can get. DPMS oracle would be a good choice. use it to learn the AR platform, find out what you like and don't like.

once you've done that, then build the rifle you really want.

building an AR without getting actual experience with the platform first is a recipe for disappointment and wasted time/money.

any AR is going to be far more accurate than you are, unless you are already an expert long range shooter.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top