JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
First time at this fun project and I sent the little brass takedown detents flying twice in the garage. Found them both times. Yea!

But last night the bolt catch detent spring took off across the garage and I looked for hours, the wife looked too, I looked again today and no luck finding that little item.

Soooooo................my lower build has come to a halt, for now. Put in another order for the spring, some other parts for the upper and a oops kit of springs, pins and such.

Went off to Kurts to see if they had the spring and I could not get near the place. Its a madhouse Zoo. No parking and lots double parked and a line out the door practicably. Went to harbor freight to pick up a spring kit to see if I could make one from their package. Nope....none were close to the size, plus if you drive in that roll pin the last thing you want to do is have to pull it out to replace a defective spring.

Anyone have another source for small parts that are local, not mail-order. This time of year its taking forever to get parts from the parts houses, unless you want to pay big bucks for next day delivery.

I am amazed at the traffic in the gun stores over the weekend. All the AR mags went poof at Fishermans. NW armory was packed. Its a mad race to get the guns before Feinstein or the President put a halt on the guns they don't like.

Have any spring problems on your first build??

OK For all you newbs building ARs

MAKE A FRAME AROUND YOUR WORK AREA TO HANG TOWELS to catch the springs. Use a towel on the bench to ensure they don't bounce good and maybe even on the floor.

I got lucky twice and lost parts the rest of the times I took them down to change goodies.

Hey,if you come up with a sure fire method of installing detent springs,then you can leave them down when building. But it keeps the springs and detents from going very far.

I had detents and springs flying everywhere the first time I started pulling one if my rifles apart. I don't have any magic solutions to keep it from happening but I can say that you will get better with time.

I know it's a bit of a drive but Wild Bill's in molalla has a case full of AR parts. You might try and give them a call to see if that's something they have in stock.

Update - I managed to get into Kurts today and he gave me a spring for free. Must have felt sorry for me. So............I bought some 6.8 ammo and a magazine.

By the way I only paid $89 for my lower and $80 for the parts kit. Thats $160 total in my book and others are asking $300 for a stripped receiver. Wow! Nice profit margin.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top