JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Arsenal SLR-107 series would be my first choice because 7.62x39 is the quintessential AK cartridge and the Bulgarian Arsenal AKs are pretty much the top of currently produced/imported AKs especially since we no longer have access to Russian Saiga SGL series and it falls well within your price range. They are lot more refined in comparison to the WASRs. Also, I would not buy an AK made in the US unless it was built buy one of the smaller higher quality shops like Krebs and Jim Fuller.

I bought an Arsenal 107r a couple months ago as my first AK. Knowing what I know now, I wish I would have just bought a PSA. Not that I'm necessarily unhappy with the Arsenal, it is a good gun. But at this point, the PSAs are just as good for a few hundred less.
I'm starting to hear of people having QC issues with the latest batches of Arsenals. Mines been fine for the record.

AKOU on youtube has beat the hell out of AK's of many different brands and put them through 5000 rounds to test wear and reliability. I personally would consider that to guide an AK purchase rather than personal anecdotal preferences for brands. It pretty much will tell you what to expect without having to fire 5000 rounds to find out.

Last Edited:
budget $2000 or less...
Vepr. Made in Russia by the Kalashnikov concern. Mine was great out of the box. With a slight conversion for ak mags which was required for importation, you get a Russian ak. I did put an alg in mine, but it was a fine rifle before. I don't leave well enough alone. But for me, I wanted a Russian one.

Wow I bought my WASR-10 almost a year ago now and including AK cost, sales tax, and transfer it was $635.00. My FFL got my AK wholesale and he doesn't mark the cost up that much. Wow times have changed. Mine was a Century Arms one that did not have a cleaning rod so I bought one for like $10. Since is my first AK I bought some new and used magazines as well. I also bought some Romanian wood furniture and refinished every thing. It turned out very nice. Also bought a Romanian Bakelite grip and Polish AK sling.

85AEE19B-CB97-4B13-A918-28E249976C73.jpeg

Ive got a Mitchell Arms import Zastava. My only issue with it is the lack of a chromed barrel. It is easily the most accurate AK Ive owned, and Ive had a few versions over the years. If the rumor that Z is now selling their rifles with chromed bores, this would make perfection perfect in my book at least. I wonder if they still install the tritium sights? Best Z I ever fired came with a factory-installed scope with metric range finder installed... never saw one of these in the US market tho.

Since it's show 'n' tell....

This was my....fourth?.....Rifle Dynamics build that I picked up in Sept of '17. Jim had a run of blonde wood and even my wife at the time said, "wow, that looks nice. You should get that." It's the only one I've asked Jim to sign, and he did.

He's a fantastic dude. Got to meet him seven or so years ago and he's exactly the kind of patriot I love supporting in the biz.

WP_20170922_17_37_22_Rich.jpg WP_20170922_17_37_13_Rich.jpg

Well now that I know Arsenal is in the budget, I'd change my vote to that. If I could keep just one rifle, it would be my SGL-21... of course that model specifically isn't so widely available anymore.

Another option is to find a parts kit - you can find the Romy or Pole kits relatively inexpensively - and pick up a Nodak Spud receiver and build out/have one built out that way.

IMPO get best what you can afford numerically I'll go
1 Arsenal
2 Cugir Romanian
3 Zastava
4 AKM Assemble by Atlantic Firearm

Do not buy US made

+1 on the Chinese Norinco mak 90. This was one of the highest quality firearms I have had in my hands. I shot a couple other ak's including a full auto one and to tell you the truth I wasn't very impressed by them. I shot a wasr that had so much trigger slap I could barely get through 2 magazines.

Last Edited:
budget $2000 or less...
For 2k there are a lot of options depending on mentality. Personally I would go with a 107fr or sam series if you want a milled on the used market. Use the rest of your cash on mags and ammo. But a wasr10/Galil Ace or anything combloc made, will fit the bill also. So many choices but right now is a bad time price wise but will only get more expensive in time.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top