JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sounds like your budget is well above the average AK buyer's. In fact, you mightblook at some build classes that companies do. Rifle Dynamics and Arsenal (i think) offers them. Would be an awesome way to get the rifle you want and learn it intimatly atbthe same time.

Arsenal sells AKs with folding stocks. You can put a folding stock on a standard AK. And some even use AR tubes so you can have a folding stock with any AR stock you want.

Arsenal SAM7SF is probably one of the best milled receiver rifles out there if you can find one. I got mine a couple of years ago for around $1400. They seem to have gone off the market, so I'm sure the prices are way up right now. What I like about the SAM7SF is that the stock folds to the right side. The charging handle is still accessible when folded, and since the optic mount is on the left side of the receiver, you can have an optic AND fold the stock when you want to without having to disassemble your optic. Arsenal got pretty tricky with the safety too and added a thumb switch on the left side of the grip as well as the usual AK safety on the right sided of the receiver. My only gripe is that the stock is not adjustable.

Arsenal SAM7SF is probably one of the best milled receiver rifles out there if you can find one. I got mine a couple of years ago for around $1400. They seem to have gone off the market, so I'm sure the prices are way up right now. What I like about the SAM7SF is that the stock folds to the right side. The charging handle is still accessible when folded, and since the optic mount is on the left side of the receiver, you can have an optic AND fold the stock when you want to without having to disassemble your optic. Arsenal got pretty tricky with the safety too and added a thumb switch on the left side of the grip as well as the usual AK safety on the right sided of the receiver. My only gripe is that the stock is not adjustable.

Good info and I am sure I would not be able to find a proper Arsenal. I would be nice though.

I love the AK but the market for them is haywire. A lot of low quality stuff out there, and parts don't easily interchange.

You're going to pay $800+ for a NPAP. That's nuts. I own a few and like them, but I probably paid too much at $600. The NPAPs are good rifles, but some rumors circulating about longevity issues. And good luck finding replacement stocks.

Why not an AR? About 1/2 the price for a similar quality rifle. Serves the same role. And prices today are inverse what they were 10 years ago... (e.g. ARs were $1000 and now $500, whereas AKs were about $400, and now about $800). Both are great guns. With an ambi charging handle you may find it more ambi friendly. If you require a pistol semi-auto, AR uppers are easily changed out and piston variants available. The AR is far easier to customize and parts interchangeable.

As for bolt actions, they make left handed variants. Also, allegedly right handed bolts offer an advantage for lefties. I can't confirm but apparently Oswald (a lefty) was supposedly advantaged using his Carcano over a right handed shooter. [If you buy into that myth.]

A few years ago I considered the many options for a truck rifle. I already had a Daniel Defense AR which is still a favorite. I decided to use my old Bushmaster. I put about $400 into it. It has a folding stock , carry handle , Magpul slim line and a bunch of other stuff. About 40 magazines available. I also picked up two Smith and Wesson AR's. An MP 10 .308 and a .22 LR. So I have plenty of AR's. My first one was a 1965 Colt SP101 serial number 56xx. A very early one. I considered the Galil Ace when it debued a few years ago I picked up the MP 10 instead as I had lots of ammo for it. Now I will be getting the Ace. All the modern features make it a great choice.

No! Death to Bolshevism!

Kidding. (Kind of). My father has a Krebs in 7.62x39㎜ and likes it a lot. The little I've shot it, it appears to be a solid build. Good luck. :)

A chinese by norinco (used) is about as good as you will get for the money. Everything is standard AK and has a chromed barrel. I myself no longer consider the AK my "go to" shtf rifle as it once was, in part because of the ammo, and the difficulty in adding on little luxuries. I prefer to stay STANAG i.e. "NATO standard". Good luck in your searches, all ye who seek! :s0015:

I thank you for your input. Ammunition availability was why I shelved the itch to acquire an AK five years ago. Now it is an alternative to bringing home another military bolt action that is hard for a left handed shooter to properly enjoy.

If I get a AK it will be a modern one such as the Galil Ace. $1600 is very hard to justify but my Daniel Defense was $1500 four years ago. I am more likely to experience buyer's remorse when having to upgrade a basic model .

The receiver isn't polymer, but the magwell is to your point. Many people remove those (below). The OEM stock is adjustable, but I replaced mine with an OG Galil folding stock. I also replaced the OEM hanguards for a lightweight RS Regulate mount. The below photo illustrates what I'm talking about. I think it looks much better and offers more function.

View attachment 652622

The GALIL is much better than any AK that's been built the last 5 years or so. If a guy wants something to last it's better paying up at first rather than poring money into A poor built rifle that is not trust worthy. Most the ungrades for a modern AK is finding old school surplus parts that hold up to install.forged trunnions carriers gas blocks ect. making it pretty with the latest tacticool stuff isnt going to keep it running. The GALIL will not allow the use of drums unless the plastic Mag well thing is removed .

Last Edited:
The GALIL is much better than any an that's been built the last 5 years or so. If a guy wants something to last it's better paying up at first rather than poring money into A poor built rifle that is not trust worthy. Most the ungrades for a modern AK is finding old school surplus parts that hold up to install.forged trunnions carriers gas blocks ect. making it pretty with the latest tacticool stuff isnt going to keep it running. The GALIL will not allow the use of drums unless the plastic Mag well thing is removed .
Wasrs and arsenal already use forged trunnions.

FWIW I have a shooting buddy who swears by his WASRs, good enuff for Minute-Of-Man or a bit better at 300 meters. He has scoped one and has some kind of laser thing on another. Not exactly my cup of tea these days compared to a Colt m4(civilian) but there it is... Other than for longer ranges and carry weight, the AK will never let you down... Years ago I got to try out a real Yugo (NOT a US-built parts gun) with a Yugo scope made for it. It was really sweet. Good luck, and all the best!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads