Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

First AK SBR

Discussion in 'NFA Weapon Discussion' started by SICARIO, Mar 9, 2014.

1. SICARIO

SICARIO Oregon City Active Member

I posted this in the rifles/shotgun forum, but this is probably the better place for it.

I'm a fan of AK's, and I love the look of magpul gear on them. Here is my latest build, my first AK SBR

gevu5yma.jpg turutu9a.jpg 4yhyvude.jpg

Here are the build details

-Romanian DRACO pistol (registered as an SBR)
    -Ultimak top rail shortened for the Draco
    -magpul 870 hand guard, channeled for the barrel, side relief cuts for the ultimak, aluminum rear tang insert (standard bar stock that fits the dimensions of the hand guard slot)
    -Carolina Shooter Supply AR style handguard bracket (doubles as a recoil lug)
    -magpul AK grip
    -ACE AR style folder
    -rear trunion machined and tapped to accommodate folding mechanism
    -Magpul CTR stock assembly

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  2. spectra

spectra The Couve Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

Nice looking set up!

3. .45's and .38's

.45's and .38's Happy Valley OR Well-Known Member

Nice setup, Is that a 12GA forend filed to fit the AK?

4. SICARIO

Yeah, it's the 870 Handguard. I did a similar one on my S12 and wanted to do the same for this. Only thing extra I used was a Carolina shooter supply AR style hand guard bracket to attach to the front of the handguard.

5. dirtysteve

dirtysteve Lincoln City, OR Member

Well done!! Have a Draco myself and been looking to do something similar. Love the 870 hand guard and would greatly appreciate more info on it.

6. .45's and .38's

.45's and .38's Happy Valley OR Well-Known Member

I would like to see the underside of that handguard, many people, including myself wonder how that 870 handguard goes on an AK. I sold my 870 handguard & the guy who bought it said he was putting it on his wasr & I thought it was interesting

Magpul handguards are great because now they have Sling mounts & vertical grips that attach directly to the handguard itself, no rail piece needed..

Sling mount is the MSA & the grip is the MVG

7. SICARIO

I'll pull it apart and get some pictures. What I did though was channel out the inside of the handguard, just the top portion so the so it would slip on the AK barrel.

Here's a pic of one I did for my Saiga 12
    0A4CEC87-8797-4C21-A294-4CF075A584F3-997-000001B6DAB354E3.jpg

Next I used a Carolina Shooter Supply AR Style Handguard bracket. I positioned this as far back on the barrel as I could until it made contact with the step up in the handguard, this way it will work as a recoil lug (I had a challenging time coming up with a recoil lug stop for my saiga 12, but this one was pretty easy). I was hoping to keep the stock handguard retainer in there, but to get the handguard bracket to line up right, the retainer had to go. You might be able to leave it in there with a standard length AK.
    0E5AE412-7BBB-49C7-9D8F-7647A8927DD7_zpsmtptngn6.jpg

Lastly for the rear of the handguard to fit into the receiver, I used a piece of aluminum that was the same dimension as the slot in the handguard (1/2" wide, 1/8" thick). The piece was about 3-4" long. I pressed it into the rear until there was about 1-2" sticking out of the back of the handguard, it fits tight. Lastly I angled it down roughly 10-15deg. This will cause you "cam" it in when you're installing it, and it will add tension inside the receiver so it won't wiggle around. With the Ultimak top rail in there though, it locks it in pretty dang tight. If you didn't want to use the ultimak, using a standard saiga gas tube would allow you to install the handguard with unmodified sides.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
    .45's and .38's likes this.
  8. dirtysteve

dirtysteve Lincoln City, OR Member

Sir, you are an awesome help! I will be looking for one of those this weekend at the gunshow.

.45's and .38's likes this.
  9. peetar

peetar Kitsap County Active Member

Thank you for the details. This is a really cool way to do this. :)

10. Benny503

Benny503 Grants Pass Well-Known Member

1!