Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

First AK how does 922r compliance parts work?

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by JungleBoy, Mar 15, 2011.

1. JungleBoy

JungleBoy Woodburn OR Member

So I just picked up an mac 90 today with the thumb hole stock(I got a killer deal :D ). I want to change out the furniture on it. Do I need to change out 5 parts to make it 922r compliant since I am changing it from its original configuration? Or can I just switch the furniture out and call it good? I also read that if I us a Tapco mag that will count as two US made parts.

2. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

Any modifications will require 922r compliance.

Does it have a muzzle device? If so, you need 6 US parts. If the barrel is unthreaded, and you keep it that way, you will only need 5 US parts.

A regular US made box magazine counts as 3 US parts. Assuming you have no muzzle device, you can change out just the buttstock and handguards for 2 more US parts and be legal , but ONLY if you stick with US-made magazines.

Most folks with unthreaded barrels change out the trigger group (3 parts) and the stock set (2 parts), then you are OK to use any country's magazines.

If you do have a muzzle device, make sure its US made, and you are again good to go.

Keith

3. JungleBoy

Ok thank you that helps alot.

4. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo Milwaukie Active Member

5. zane

zane Vancouver, WA Member

I was going to post the same link...

This worksheet is great for 922r compliance (they have one for SKS's too).

6. olydemon

olydemon Olympia Active Member

Congrats! I just went through the process myself, well partially. I have the trigger group and just need to install it. I did go with a couple Tapco mags for the easy initial compliance, and anything steel at shops was over 40 bucks, still havent shopped online yet. What is so bad with them? Figure for 10 bucks at cabelas its worth it for the time being to be considered legal. I wanted to keep original wood, and have a old US made pistol grip, at least according to the guy selling it at a swap meet its us made.

7. JungleBoy

I was lucky and got one with a straight cut receiver. :)

8. slingshot1943

slingshot1943 salem or Well-Known Member

I would be interested in an original Mac 90 thumb hole stock if someone has one to sell or trade.

9. olydemon

olydemon Olympia Active Member

10. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Puyallup, WA Well-Known Member