JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I just picked up an mac 90 today with the thumb hole stock(I got a killer deal :D ). I want to change out the furniture on it. Do I need to change out 5 parts to make it 922r compliant since I am changing it from its original configuration? Or can I just switch the furniture out and call it good? I also read that if I us a Tapco mag that will count as two US made parts.

Any modifications will require 922r compliance.

Does it have a muzzle device? If so, you need 6 US parts. If the barrel is unthreaded, and you keep it that way, you will only need 5 US parts.

A regular US made box magazine counts as 3 US parts. Assuming you have no muzzle device, you can change out just the buttstock and handguards for 2 more US parts and be legal , but ONLY if you stick with US-made magazines.

Most folks with unthreaded barrels change out the trigger group (3 parts) and the stock set (2 parts), then you are OK to use any country's magazines.

If you do have a muzzle device, make sure its US made, and you are again good to go.

Keith

Congrats! I just went through the process myself, well partially. I have the trigger group and just need to install it. I did go with a couple Tapco mags for the easy initial compliance, and anything steel at shops was over 40 bucks, still havent shopped online yet. What is so bad with them? Figure for 10 bucks at cabelas its worth it for the time being to be considered legal. I wanted to keep original wood, and have a old US made pistol grip, at least according to the guy selling it at a swap meet its us made.

trainsktg is spot on. Here's some more info on the subject, including a list of compliance parts.

Converting AK-47 to 922R

Another thing to be aware of before you go out and buy your furniture, Chinese MAKs have a slant receiver which requires a correctly cut stock to match. Remove your existing one to confirm prior to purchasing a new stock. The only quality one (possibly only one period) that I am aware of is from Ironwood Designs.

<broken link removed>

I would not use the mag to count as compliance parts, it is too limiting. Forget Tapco (or any US made) AK mag, they are poopoo. Stick with Steel East Euro or Chicom surplus or Bulgarian Circle 10 mag if you want polymer. The only Tapco item on an AK should be a G2 fire control group.

I was lucky and got one with a straight cut receiver. :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top