JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi All,

I figured this was the best place to post. I'm looking at compiling and updating my first aid kits, based on a couple of different criteria. What would you include for the following kit types:

1) The At Home, have everything in one place kit
2) The in car, what's required as a bare minimum kit
3) The IFAK, as it would be attached to my bug out kit.

I realize there may be some overlap in equipment, and I'm lucky enough to be able to purchase 1 pair of scissors per pack (as an example) so what would be in each of your packs for the above?
This can either be "I've compiled this list over time" or "I've bought this kit from Company ABC and it seems to fit the bill."

Assume current climate and not SHTF/TEOTWAWKI.
Maybe add things that would hedge towards the latter.

Gracias!

I've been trying to compile such a compact selection for years. Hope your responses generate the lists you ID, as my own efforts always have gotten side tracked without satisfactory kits to show. Good luck, I'll be watching.

One of the best Platoon Sergeants I ever had: "If you get shot, you better have your IFAK where I can find it, cause I'm not using my tourniquets on your stupid butt."

As an on-topic note for a change: Suture kits can be incredibly lightweight and compact, and a lot of people forget to include them in their IFAK. Some don't even include them in their home first aid kit. I've had to sloppily stitch my torn skin back together a couple times while out roaming around on foot in the wilderness, and it turned the injury from "getting back to the truck is going to be difficult" to "minor annoyance." Butterfly bandages just won't do the trick if you need to be active.

A first aid kit is just that. It's the assistance that you render if you are the first person on the scene. Bleeding is the first thing that needs to be addressed. Most first aid kits have something to do that with. After that, it will generally need a doctor to do whatever is needed. In the military, we all had a huge "battle bandage" in our little first aid pouch. If you haven't taken a good first aid course then I would suggest that you do. They are very informative and helpful. Learn CPR too.

One of the best Platoon Sergeants I ever had: "If you get shot, you better have your IFAK where I can find it, cause I'm not using my tourniquets on your stupid butt."

As an on-topic note for a change: Suture kits can be incredibly lightweight and compact, and a lot of people forget to include them in their IFAK. Some don't even include them in their home first aid kit. I've had to sloppily stitch my torn skin back together a couple times while out roaming around on foot in the wilderness, and it turned the injury from "getting back to the truck is going to be difficult" to "minor annoyance." Butterfly bandages just won't do the trick if you need to be active.
In my day, we didn't have suture kits. I guess anything would work in a pinch. I have a large assortment of butterfly bandages and a suture kit. I can't think of a situation (other than an emergency) where I would have to be active, so I'd be looking for my easy chair.

In my day, we didn't have suture kits. I guess anything would work in a pinch. I have a large assortment of butterfly bandages and a suture kit. I can't think of a situation (other than an emergency) where I would have to be active, so I'd be looking for my easy chair.
Hoorah Gunny. Suture kits weren't normally included in the IFAK list in any of my units' SOP, but I always threw one in there anyway. Sitting on a Fuel Depot in the middle of the desert can be made a little more bearable with some nice relaxing needlework. ;)

Hoorah Gunny. Suture kits weren't normally included in the IFAK list in any of my units' SOP, but I always threw one in there anyway. Sitting on a Fuel Depot in the middle of the desert can be made a little more bearable with some nice relaxing needlework. ;)
The best job in the Marine Corps was being a Warrant Officer in charge of a fuel depot, at least it was to those that did it. I find it fascinating that during WWII, all fuel was sent to the European Theatre from Great Britain via hoses! They were laid across the English Channel after D-Day and there were bulk fuel depots on the British side as well as the French side. My dad was pressed into tanker truck driving after his tank was knocked out by a German anti tank gun. He drove in want they called the "Red Ball Express." It was a continuous circle of trucks hauling everything from fuel to mattress covers to the troops that needed them.

I carry a first aid kit in every vehicle, and one in my pack. In addition to the standard bad-aids, and single use anti-bacterial packets, alcohol wipes, I have Closex, or Zipstitch, or Dermaclose, and some Quick Clot gauze and good electrical tape (3m Scotch Super 88), for wounds, as some places we go are a day or two from medical services. I also carry Ibuprofen, and asprin.

Also consider that multiple kits with multiple physical locations might be a good idea. A low common denominator (Murphy's Law) will dictate that most of what you have stashed will be lost one way or another. In other words in a real crisis if you can not hump it out on your person or pack it might as well be written off.

The multiple locations must be secure and retrievable. What works for a Earthquake may not work for a fast moving wildfire that burns everything. What works for forced civil relocation may not work for a big tsunami. Which is worse? People problems or Mother Nature? Pick your poison. Hard and expensive to do.

Condoms. It's a good idea to carry condoms in your first aid kit. If you shoot yourself in the personal part, a condom will help to hold a badge on until you can change your name and have the rest of the surgery completed.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top