JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I found myself moving around my primary first aid kit when I go hunting/hiking (moving between car, GHB, hiking backpack, and hunting daypack). Then I decided to do something about it. I was able to make another first aid kit just from what I already had in my home. I wasnt looking forward to purchasing another shrink wrapped first aid kit and then having to supplement it with other things that they left out. This way I was able to put in exactly what I wanted. Hopefully this motivates someone to do the same. Two is one and one is none.

Tallfoo

Good idea. We stash med packs around too. In the kitchen, where the primary supplies are, we have a big one in a metal chest, and ancillary supplies. There are other ones in the vehicles, in the MULE (a utility vehicle for working on the land), at the work places, and an additional kit in each bathroom under the sink. The Bug out Bags (BOB) have much smaller kits, but they are still there. :)

I run into this problem too, and I hate it. But a good IFAK is also expensive!

I have 1 primary, 1 in my wife's vehicle, and I am building a dedicated one for a war belt.

Aside from that, I have considered an ankle kit that is on my all the time so I don't have to think about it!

Main one travels with me. Bag to bag like all my other EDC stuff.

I have an essentials smaller one that I send with the daughter when she goes on hikes etc.

And one in the wife's rig.

Our hall closet is half first aid stuff of every kind - I prefer it consolidated in one place at home.

Every truck and ATV has their own. Each of our harnesses have a IFAK and we have a medium sized backpack that is dedicated as a med bag. Since we live at our BOL we have several extra large sized totes full of medical supplies in the room designated by the wife(Nurse with trauma experience) to handle those types of issues. We also have a doctor and his wife(another nurse) that will join us here when SHTF and will bring more supplies with them.

Many of us here are licensed medical people. For us the distinction between legal first aid and second aid becomes thin at times. Our first aid kids contain only the first aid stuff. This is not good but it relates to the current legal malpractice environment. As a citizen first responder were are pretty well exempt. As a licensed professional it gets tricky and sticky. Sad.

Ex PM, RN.

Having any first-aid kit is better than none. The pre-packaged IFAKs are good, but you pay for stuff most of us will never need or don't have training to use safely, and they also lack a lot of commonly-needed stuff. The Red Cross's website has a list of basic supplies for your kit: Make a First Aid Kit | Supplies & Contents | American Red Cross. They also sell individual supplies, as do chinookmed.com and lapolicegear.com, among many others.

It was hard for me to find the perfect bag for my kit, and I ended up buying a couple. My favorite that's handy-sized for my war belt and my car is the ITS Fatboy: ITS ETA Trauma Kit Pouch (Fatboy) | ITS Tactical Store. They also make a tall-skinny one called the "Tallboy". They aren't inexpensive, but the design is very handy –– one-handed opening; everything right where you can see it, no digging –– and they're made in the U.S. by Zulu Nylon Gear, and actually come with a warranty.

Mystery Ranch also makes good bags that are similar in design and quality, and are also U.S.-made:
RFAK | Mystery Ranch Backpacks
VLAK | Mystery Ranch Backpacks

Don't underestimate training. Make the time and allocate the money to take a Red Cross or wilderness first-aid course. They ARE worth it! It's far better to half-remember what to do correctly than to fumble around guessing while the clock's ticking.

Narescue.com Currently have their Stop the Bleed kits for $49. It includes a Gen 7 CAT tourniquet, Quickclot, ETD dressing, Pair of gloves and trauma card. I think this is a smokin deal considering the tourniquet is $30 and quickclot is $40 individually. Also, if you go to bleedingcontrol.org you can find a free stop the bleed class near you.

I found myself moving around my primary first aid kit when I go hunting/hiking (moving between car, GHB, hiking backpack, and hunting daypack). Then I decided to do something about it. I was able to make another first aid kit just from what I already had in my home. I wasnt looking forward to purchasing another shrink wrapped first aid kit and then having to supplement it with other things that they left out. This way I was able to put in exactly what I wanted. Hopefully this motivates someone to do the same. Two is one and one is none.

Tallfoo

C'mon, finish it.... three is glee, four is adored, five saves lives!

:s0155:

Last Edited:
I don't even remember all the places I have one. One in wifes rig, two in the house and the main on lives with me in my truck. I'm pretty sure I have more but would have to look for them.

The main one in my truck is a complete combat medic bag minus the IV :( giving yourself an IV to stay awake in the Army kinda brings back memories! :D

I don't even remember all the places I have one. One in wifes rig, two in the house and the main on lives with me in my truck. I'm pretty sure I have more but would have to look for them.

The main one in my truck is a complete combat medic bag minus the IV :( giving yourself an IV to stay awake in the Army kinda brings back memories! :D

Sheeet..., we were tappin' veins to mainline whiskey!! :s0032:

Very important....

Emergency beer.jpg

Wife just got back from Japan this morning. She hands me a bottle of old 43 and a bunch of Cubans.
Talk about a medical kit. It'll cure what ails ya'.

IMG_20180406_122150.jpg IMG_20180406_130107.jpg

I was just looking for supplies for a second kit.

I try to keep the following:
Tourniquet
IDF bandage
Clotting sponges
Bandaids
Emergency blanket
Tape
Ace bandage

I started with more, but for hunting, hiking, EDC, I don't need to become a nurse, just triage.
Keep someone (hopefully not myself) alive long enough to get help.

Is it the combined wisdom of NWFA to have a "big" kit at each of your main places
Home, Work, your bug out to location

A reasonable kit in each daily vehicle

A kit for purpose - you may have one to take shooting, a different one to go fishing,

Or something else??

Would you buy a pre-assembled kit? Or only build your own?

I have been trying to get a good kit for my motorcycle. Limited space is the overriding concern. But if you go down, you need to be able to stop bleeding.

Nut'N
nutnfancy first aid kit - YouTube

PatriotNurse

Would you buy a pre-assembled kit? Or only build your own?

I've done both.
In the past while working in the oilfield often I lived in my RV for months at a time. It was my home and office. At the time I was able to purchase industrial type kits at a discount so I went that route. It's still mounted to the wall in one of the closets. I also bought the smaller type that you often see in company trucks for my welding trucks and for each of the quads I had bought for my daughters. Steel cased with a rubber seal I figured they would hold up a bit better to living in a bag on a 4wheeler.

Now that I'm married to a nurse and have another nurse/doctor as part of our team we(actually they:) make up all of our medical kits. It's cheaper and easier to tailor make them to suit a specific purpose if needed.
My :s0159:

I didn't like the options I was seeing out there so we made our own. Any of you guys care to share pics of your home brewed kits? Ours is a bit on the portly side and I still wish I had more in it!

This kit is what I carry everywhere. Well almost everywhere it travels in the rig full time. When we go for a hike or take the stroller out it comes along. I need to buy another bag or 2 and make up a couple more. I also need/would like to have something smaller that I can shove in a pocket. I already run around with 2 pistols, 2 mags, 2 flashlights and a phone. So it would have to be something small and simple.

As far as our medical experience my wife is an RN and I don't claim to be......anything. I figure if nothing else I'm the pack mule that has a few items on hand that might help save someone.

I keep meaning to add some Benadryl and NSAIDs.

The bag came from Amazon (we are done supporting Bezos within the month when the Prime membership expires)
Orca Tactical MOLLE Rip-Away EMT Medical First Aid IFAK Blowout Pouch
And the stuff inside is just things I decided we needed. I got her input and advice but she just kinda let me do what I do for the most part. IIRC she said "what are we trying to do with this bag"? And my response was "whatever we can."
Anyhow whats inside:
4 - 5"x9" Abdominal Pad
5 - 4"x4" Gauze Sponge
2 - 6" 12 Hour Red Cyalume SnapLights
2 - 6" 8 Hour White Cyalume SnapLights
1 - SOL Survival Blanket 58"x98"
1 package - QuickClot Advanced Clotting Gauze (contains 2 - 3"x24" strips)
Assortment of bandaids
2 - Rolls of 3M Transpore Medical Tape
1 - Dry Sterile Burn Dressing "Super Combat Cravat" 45"x45"x63" (can be used for tons of stuff, its a big triangular bandage)
1 - Gerber Multi-Tool
1 - Pair Medical Shears
1 - Pair of wife's recent (but old) prescription glasses
Bag of dryer lint for fire starter
1 - Doan Magnesium Fire Starter
2 - 4.5"x4.125yd Kerlix Bandage Roll
2pkg 6ea - .5"x4" Steri-Strip
2pkg 3ea - .25"x3" Steri-Strip
6pkg - Hand Cleansing Wipe
1 - 4oz bottle of Betadine
28 - Large 2ply 70% Alcohol Prep pads
1 - Streamlight Sidewinder Compact II w/headband
2 - Duracell AA batteries

I'm not in love with this bag, but all of the options seem either just okay or really expensive for........not a whole lot.

I also keep thinking about a tourniquet that I could attach to the PALS webbing outside as this thing is stuffed full.

I'd really like to see other setups and get ideas if anyone feels like sharing.

20180410_112606.jpg
20180410_112612.jpg
20180410_112621.jpg
20180410_112700.jpg
20180410_113939.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR