Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

First Aid Kit

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by spectra, Dec 25, 2010.

1. spectra

spectra The Couve Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

Ok have been searching out on line a few kits. My question is it better to piece one together or just buy one in kit form and also add to it? I know that there is not the perfect kit or at least I have not found one. If you think you have the perfect one please add a link or also if you have a nice site to get supplies:thumbup:

2. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

I normally say build your own. There might be some good ones out there to start from and add too. Problem is most kits come with stuff you will never use and not enough stuff you will use. Then what you get for what you pay for is usually more expensive them piecing one together.

Depending on how much time, access and knowledge you have buying one and adding to might be the smart move.

Sorry I cant recommend one since I have access to medical stuff and more stuff then I know what to do with most of the time before it expires.

3. hyejinlove

hyejinlove Tacoma Member

I second NWCID! I stock a few standard First Aid kits plus trauma supplies.

4. odiesplace97301

odiesplace97301 silverton area Member

+1 build your own to your needs

5. terrylf72

terrylf72 Portland, Oregon, United States Member

+2 I had the help of a Ranger and a friend that is going through EMS training to build mine.

6. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

Tactical Trauma Kit #3, Military Surplus, Elite First Aid at Sportsman's Guide
    There are several here but I think if you want an excellent start this would be it and just add to the high use items.
    or here this one has a little less but mostly the same.
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MHR333-1.html

7. EZLivin

EZLivin SW of PDX Well-Known Member

I think it is best to build a kit from the ground up to fit your personal needs and training. Seems like one kit never holds enough stuff, so we put our main trauma/medical kit together using a box similar to this Amazon.com: Plano Double Cover Two Sided Tackle Organizer: Sports & Outdoors , and a smaller survival/trauma kit for ATV/shooting using a 3-section waist pack that folds for storage or carrying in a pack. Filled them with supplies bought mostly on sale at Walgreens and REI, but added additional things like several QuikClot, suture materials, airways, etc. (things we have training to use). Ended up with good kits at reasonable prices.

(That kit Deadeye linked to has a pretty good list of supplies.)

8. spectra

I really like the Trauma Kit but I am in need of a little more supplies. With a family of 4 I wanted more of a bulk product so ended up purchasing from a first aid company here in WA. I still need a few things but I see those on other sites and also need to pick up a nice pack to put it all in. I figure also if I buy in boxes of 50 or 100 I could break them up and make muliple kits for differant uses.
    Thanks for all the links and hey keep them coming as I am sure someone else could use them:thumbup:

Here is who I bought from First Aid Kits | First Aid Supplies | CPR Supplies | First Aid Kit | First Aid Supplies Online they have free shipping on orders over 50 bucks easy to spend that:laugh: Also they have a promo of 15 dollars off your order over 50 bucks:thumbup:

9. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Duct tape and super glue

Yes,seriously.

Have used both at work,and electrical tape.
    Maybe some gauze pads too.

Or that kit above :thumbup:

10. elsullo

elsullo Portland Oregon New Member

A lot of us old farts were trained ages ago and still think adhesive tape and gauze pads are the main ingredients of a first aid kit. Utility technology has developed a lot of wonderful things in the meantime! A couple of inexpensive things can now replace a lot of old stuff for first aid:

Self-stick sanitary panty pads (unscented is best). These are thin, flat ovals of absorbant cotton inside of perforated plastic membranes with sticky edges. For deeper wounds ordinary unscented sanitary napkins are great too. Wonderful things, cover with........

"Coban" self-stick wrapping tape. It's like a thin rubber gauze tape that breathes well and only sticks to itself. Great for wrapping over cotton on fingers and limbs or even around the trunk. Incredibly useful; get several big rolls.

Cotton balls, sterile and very cheap and usefull. Wrap down with Coban tape.

Butterfly stitches are very good for pulling a cut closed and keeping it secure. Sweatproof and highly sticky for a long time.

And finally, micro-thin mylar foil blankets to cover the person and help protect from going into shock. This keeps them warm, or protects them from hot asphault roadways or even the rain. Cheap and folded into compact packs, easy to carry for any emergency.

Good, cheap stuff to add to any first aid kit!........................elsullo

11. nubus

nubus Guest

I got this Condor bag and it works really well for me.
    Enough room, but not huge w/MOLLE II loops.
    +1 Super Glue and Duct Tape.
    I carry an EpiPen as well.

medkit.jpg

12. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

I like the mini trauma assortment these guys sell - and then I add stuff from there.

One thing you didn't specify in your post: what's the purpose of this kit? To support you? Multiple people? Home? Bug-out-bag? Car? I've got different kits depending on my space requirements, type of incident I might expect, number of people I'm supporting, etc. Some of the large kits mentioned by others are nice, but if it's just to support you & you're traveling light, they may not work.

On the question of piecing together vs. buying a pre-made kit: the one thing I've found on piecing kits together is that it's sometimes hard to buy just a few things (like, say butterfly bandages) - so, if you just need a few of something for your kit, you may end up with a box of 10+ (more than you need). REI, while not the cheapest, does sell some of these items in smaller packs. I normally buy their "small packages' to augment my kits or replace items that have expired.

13. mjbskwim

OK Hollywood,"The Shooter"

Marky Mark takes that stuff and jams it into the bullet cavity in his shoulder to stop bleeding.

Such a goo?
    Powder I guess.

14. receo

receo Sandy, Oregon Active Member

15. spectra

Post #8 I stated I had a family of 4 and that I ended up getting things in bulk. I can now make a few kits for differant scenarios. I just figure with kids you can never have to many things. I like those kits you linked also and the price is not to bad:thumbup: Thanks! Will be oordering from them for a few more things once they open back up.

16. Bam

Bam Portland Member

hemostatic dressings should be a must in any first aid kit.

17. simpleguy

simpleguy Clackamas Active Member

My vote will be piecing it together. I have a smitter smatter of all kinds of things, but here's a partial list.

Excedrin, Ibuprofen, Bayer Aspirin(granulated), tums, bandaids, neosporin, burn gel, sun screen, mole skin, isreali bandages(got them from OFAgear.com), Celox(it burns less than QuikClot), dental floss, anbesol, prescription stuff(eye drops, inhaler, percocet(kidney stones), non-latex gloves, tweezers, scissors, dental kit, duct tape, super glue, CPR mask, flashlight.

18. The Cheese

The Cheese somewhere special Member

Since I don't have the patience to put stuff together, I just got a few (and was gifted a few from my folks) kits from Adventure Medical. Prices aren't terrible and they seemed to have most of the stuff for common issues. I probably could have pieced them together, but in the 2 instances I have had to use them (at church) I am glad they were commercial otherwise I think some folks might have freaked out a bit. you never know with some.

One thing I am glad these kits have is those afterbite/sting ammonia wipes. Really helps with the bee stings. I wouldn't go too over board with the heavy wound stuff. Its the little, common things that you will want to have a bunch of. And look at the kits like they are for a certain number of hours or days till you can get to proper medical help or home to you med supplies. If you look at it like that it will save you from getting alot of unnecessary things given the size of the bag or duration it was intended to be used for. And I would say, never tap into them at home if it can be avoided. Have bandaid in the cupboard? Use those instead of the ones in your kit. Nothing worse than being out in the wherever only to find you have no advil left in your kit. Oh, and don't forget the womenz products. Some of them can be used for other stuff. Just sayin.

19. isher

isher Clallam County Member

A very good starting point is something called a "Commercial Fishing Vessel First Aid Kit" - (meets the requirements of 46C FR Part 28.210).

The commercial guys play rough, and the kit is a pretty good all-rounder as a result.

You can trick it out according to your specific needs.

Isher

20. mjbskwim

Biggest difference there would probably be some dikes or cutters to cut hooks you have through your hide.:D