Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

First Aid kit

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by Kimber Custom, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Kimber Custom

Kimber Custom Vancouver, WA Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

I'm in need of a quality first aid kit. My only real requirement is that it needs to have supplies to treat a gun shot wound.

I remember seeing AMP3 at a gun show once so a little googlefu got me to the site but I'm choking on the price: Amp-3 Range Medic (RED, BLACK OR COYOTE BROWN) - AMP-3

I can save a few bucks and get just the IFK & BSK but it seems like for not much more I can 'have it all'.

Do I just need to pull the trigger or is there something else worth considering?

2. Nick Burkhardt

Nick Burkhardt NE Oregon Well-Known Member

3. parallax

parallax eugene, or-gun Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

north american rescue makes ifak that straps to your leg. Can be opened with one hand.
    S.T.O.R.M. Operator IFAK

4. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  5. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

There are some dependency issues here... do you want a kit for treating gunshot wounds (like for a shooting range, or firearms training) or as a SHTF bag? If you're looking for the former, I would suggest buying the ready made kit as a "CYA" starting point.

If you're putting together a SHTF kit, I would start with abdominal pads, occlusive dressings, tape and tourniquets. I would also recommend training, as much as you can get.

6. MikeE

MikeE Portland Well-Known Member

Any training suggestions?

7. AMProducts

Getting training specifically for GSW's is a bit difficult to come by, however most general traumatic puncture injuries are addressed in the CERT class, and occasionally by the ARC "first aid" classes.

If you have/can make the time, I HIGHLY recommend taking the EMT class offered by most community colleges, it is a hard core class that you should not take lightly otherwise you won't pass.

Generally speaking, if you're dealing with someone who's been shot, minimizing bleeding, maintaining airway and getting them to ALS (advanced life-saving IE a doctor/surgeon) is the best you're usually going to be able to do. Arterial bleeds in the legs and arms, sucking chest wounds and digestive tract injuries (gut shots) almost always end in death. You really need a doctor to put humpty dumpty back together again, especially given the damage that most modern bullets do.

If SHTF, the level of medical care for every combatant is going to look a lot more like the civil war, where limbs are sawn off. Reconnecting severed arteries, rebuilding nerve networks, and putting muscles back together simply won't be possible.

8. CoastRange57

CoastRange57 Western Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Field medicine always takes more than one person. If trauma is involved, 3 people is going to be required to effect any kind of repair, and then you have to move that person to a trauma facility in less than one hour or they are going to die. Simple as that.

EMT Basic will not really even prepare you to handle trauma. You have to get deep in the training now to gain the skill sets you need. The average person who has not been exposed to field trauma is going to have a very hard time dealing with GSW's, traumatic amputations, massive closed head injuries and the other trauma mentioned above.

My son is finishing paramedic school right now, and is doing fine, he saw some trauma medicine in Afghanistan that makes most domestic things tame. SHTF will resemble/ be battle field injuries, and EMT Basic trained is going to get you basic ABC care, nothing more. You are simply not going to be able to set up field trauma care and removal to deal with SHTF injuries.

I was an EMT II back in the early days of trauma medicine in the field. It has come a long ways, but the basics remain consistent.

9. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

10. Sgt Nambu

That's a very attractive price! I'm going to get a few. Thanks rick!

11. Sgt Nambu

I'm afraid that you are right, AMP'. That's how I see it.

12. Nick Burkhardt

Nick Burkhardt NE Oregon Well-Known Member

Sgt Nambu and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Lange22250

Lange22250 Milwaukie Active Member

QuikClot is less effective and has more potential side effects than Celox. You should be aware that both require direct pressure after the administration and since direct pressure, when done correctly, is very effective on it's own.
    Due to the potential complications of CuikClot it would have to be the gravest extreme before I would use it, and I spent 15 years on an ambulance in a 911 system.

14. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Ben wants:
    quality first aid kit (I assemble my own, cheaper, less crap)
    treat a gun shot wound
    but, is choking on the price.

Gloves, pvc, non-sterile (several pairs) harbor freight
    Safety glasses (keeps blood spatter out of your eyes)
    Shears
    Band Aids for the little issues
    Trauma dressings for bigger stuff how to apply
    Tape bandage, adhesive
    Tape, electrical sticky, stretches, rebounds (restriction band)

More links
    Army Military First Aid / Survival Kits - Charleyssurplus
    Battalion Military First Aid Kit

I've not stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, yet.
    But i've triaged, bandaged, boarded, bagged, transported folks.

Call for help
    Stop the bleeding
    Start the breathing
    Protect the wound
    Treat for shock

Stand by
    Semper Gumby

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  15. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

Rule #1
    a gun shot wound to the torso or to the arterys in the lower limbs means massive bleeding.
    Injuries to Upper Limbs is slightly less OMG!! but only due to smaller arterys, you are still facing a 3 minute bleed-out. This is why machetes are so effective as a weapon of terror, one cut, you will most likely die (same as fear of Zombie).
    So, Stop Bleeding no matter how painful, stop the flow of blood.
    Treat for shock by infusing liquids to stop drop in blood pressure or use a pressure suit to compress lower extremities but keep heart beating by opening chest and sqeezing heartt to pump blood, insert Large needle into center of femur bone and sqeeze bag of whole blood/ricter's fluid into the body to stave off shutdown until you arrive at hospital/MASH
    Clear?
    This is not something I'd do for someone that was a stranger mind you, You'd have to be a personal friend for me to reach into your guts and squeeze your heart like that because it is a very weird procedure and there have been instances where the patient died, and then came back, and wanted more

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  16. Mycoffee11

Mycoffee11 springfield New Member

Here are a couple of good IFAKS that have the essentials for what you may be looking for.

http://www.itstactical.com/store/medical/its-eta-trauma-kit-pouch-tallboy-coyote/

What I like about ITS kit is it zips open so you have access to all of your medical at once and it also has additional space to add a couple of other items ( ie Chest dart, Israeli bandage )

Dark Angel Medical also makes a kit . Pretty similar to ITS with pretty close to same content. There pouch though does not unzip. It has a opening at the top and the content is vacuum sealed. Both have there Pros and Cons.

http://www.shop.darkangelmedical.com/DARK-Gen-3-Complete-Kit-Civ-LE-Multicam-01-0001.htm

Both companies also carry just the medical pouch if you would like to make your own setup.

Phillip Boisselle likes this.
  17. Phillip Boisselle

Phillip Boisselle Oregon city Member

Dark Angle and Rescue essentials will allow you to build your IFAK piece by piece.

18. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Josephine County Active Member

Don't forget the needle and thread,

19. AMProducts

I think a lot of people are under the impression you just cover that gunshot wound in some kind of clot aid, put on a tourniquet, shake it off and get back in the fight. As hunting is becoming more and more of a niche activity even within the wider gun community, few people have seen any kind of interaction between modern bullet and meat.

It's not like you see in the movies with a small entrance and big exit.

20. Fisher Bill

Fisher Bill Tigard Member

I have a couple of these staplers in my big bag;

lg-78726-62522-dog-supplies.jpg
    They're sealed and good for only one use but should do in a pinch.

Sabertooth and Peteralexander78 like this.