JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think this is one aspect of prepping that gets overlooked a lot. Everyone talks about guns and #10 cans. When you're doing a lot of manual labor for shelter and heat and hunting and gathering to survive, someone's gonna get hurt or sick. Even in my day pack I carry ibuprofin, immodium, antiseptics and bandages. Gotta think about long term situations also where the injuries and illnesses will be far worse

Looks like a good site! Thanks for sharing.

I'm a firm believer in having alternatives to the 911 system. I'm a firefighter and it doesn't take much to overwhelm the system. Luckily, in a normal day, neighboring jurisdictions provide automatic aid to cover a department that's on a large response. However, in a regional disaster ALL agencies will be overwhelmed and unable to assist their neighbors.

First aid is just one of the areas we need to train in to be able to provide for our communities. Consider other training like the CERT programs that are available through the local fire departments.

Building slightly on what Fyrediver said, if you have the time and inclination, I highly recommend signing up at your local community college for an EMT course. Even if you don't go on to get your EMT certification it will do a lot to expose you to the procedures, liabilities, techniques, and skills that you may need when dealing with different types of injuries.

The thing I've noticed is many "preppers" who do have a medical focus worry more about traumatic surface injuries, things that are easy, and obvious to treat. As far as traumatic injury goes, knowing things like the use of a back-board, traction splints, could very well save a life during an emergency. The same thing applies to recognizing signs and symptoms of a pneumothorax, pre-eclampsia, femoral or brachial hemorrhage. Having a BVM, knowing how to use one, and in some cases having to use devices like the combi-tube, or apply supplemental oxygen.

Another thing to be aware of in our current environment are chronic health conditions like type 2 diabetes. Sometimes these conditions can be maintained with some diagnostic tools and diet.

First aid doesn't end at band-aids.

I don't mean to cramp the guy's style, but if you havn't already heard of it. Check out "where there is no doctor" and the whole series of books put out by the same organization. The book focuses entirely on treating common to serious ailments and injuries in austere situations.

Books and Resources | Hesperian Health Guides

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top