JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
RBid, well yes. You're right.
If they thought 147gr would work better, for a short barrel? That's what they'd be making and trying to sell for this application. It's not like 124gr is all they make.
FWIW, they also said of all the "Short Barrel" loadings they offer. 9mm is the only one they didn't have to alter. No bullet redesign, no different powder, it already worked. So if one can't find a box marked "Short Barrel?" A standard box of 124gr +p, odds the same product.

I'd like to add...I'm not saying Gold Dots are the best. Most all modern JHP's should be fine. I was just explaining why I went with 124gr. Even though my inclination was 147gr.
I do feel that Speer makes a good product, that I can (at least before the panic) find locally, at a good price.

147 is less snappy than 124 (even standard pressure), generally speaking.

As to which is a better stopper... Both. Given the same product line, the difference is going to be something like .02" expansion traded for .5" penetration or similar. The 147 will usually expand marginally less, but penetrate marginally more.

I favor 147gr Gold Dots, but acknowledge that it's splitting hairs.
My take precisely. I use either Gold Dots or HST , 147 gr in my Nano, and feel confident of both expansion and sufficient penetration. I'm surprised how much I like the Nano and how well it shoots. I carry it more than any other of my options. :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top