JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
First, we need to know what it will be used for;

Daily carry? Occasional trips to the range?

Light use or hard use, meaning you're planning on putting a lot of rounds thru it , or just every now and then.

Possible carry (although, I'd probably stick to something lighter for carry). I wouldn't own a weapon that I wouldn't put a fair amount of rounds through. I am a shooter, and anything I own will see regular use at the range.

I've been kinda thinkin' about pickin' up my first 1911 also. After lookin' into this alot it seems Taurus PT1911 and Kimber Custom II are both good ways to go. The thing about the Springfield GI is I don't think (correct me if I'm wrong) it comes with all the extras on board that the Taurus and Kimber do, but it is a Springfield so it's got that going for it, which is nice.

Here's what seems to me a good deal on the Kimber Custom II...maybe somebody who owns one on this board can weigh in on the quality:
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/copy_of_Kimber_Custom_II_.45acp_1911_Pistol.html

They've also got a blued one for like 700. The Taurus is probably a little less expensive and easier to find a good deal on. I think there's a stainless pt1911 on this board in OR for 600.

Any 1911 fans have recommendations for a 1st .45 1911 that won't bankrupt me? Thanks.:huh:

I may possibly bring a Taurus PT1911 that you may borrow at a shoot, whenever that may be. It's a recent addition by an associate, who absolutely loves it. If I bring one, you have my permission to fire it as much as you'd like.

FYI - Taurus will send you 75$ back, if I'm not mistaken. It's what happened with one I know of, at least. I saw the check myself. Call Taurus to confirm before listening to me, though. I don't know if this rebate is still in effect.

Possible carry (although, I'd probably stick to something lighter for carry). I wouldn't own a weapon that I wouldn't put a fair amount of rounds through. I am a shooter, and anything I own will see regular use at the range.

I definitely need more time at the range, the most simple cure for my problems. I'll be the first to admit that I'm a terrible marksman, but I never have time to practice. Whether it's my weapon or an associates, I do much more cleaning, if anything else.

i had a well customized springfield armory and recently purchased a taurus pt1911 at a show in eugene for $539 with more bells and whisles and i really like the taurus more. spent close to 1500 on the springfield and still like the taurus better.

I'd advise against a Kimber or Taurus, as they have many sub-par quality parts in them, and have inconsistent QC problems...mostly being out of spec, or just the assemblers inattention to detail.

Even Springfield has sub-par parts, but theirs doesn't seem to break like Kimber parts do.

I have made much money with those guns on my bench, changing out parts & fixing what the manufacturer should have before it went out the door.

i had a kimber custom ll it was by far the best 1911 i have owned and i kick myself daily for parting with it
that being said the newer ones are nothing like what mine was

so look for an old used one ?

I'd advise against a Kimber or Taurus, as they have many sub-par quality parts in them, and have inconsistent QC problems...mostly being out of spec, or just the assemblers inattention to detail.

Even Springfield has sub-par parts, but theirs doesn't seem to break like Kimber parts do.

I have made much money with those guns on my bench, changing out parts & fixing what the manufacturer should have before it went out the door.

Sounds like you have experience, Wichaha. You said what you don't like, but didn't say what you DO like.

The older Kimbers before the Series II's, were very good guns. Since then they have been plagued with numerous parts breakage and inconsistent quality, even rust forming on their barrels.
Before anyone chimes in with the "....have had mine for sometime now, and have never had a problem." Yes, there are many that do not have problems. But compared to other makes, they have a higher amount of problems.

I would suggest Colt first, as long as it's not a new one. The new models coming out are having issues with slide/frame alignment. I would suggest a model a few years old, or older. They have the most solid steel parts in them, compared to other makes.
Dan Wesson, is another that has a pretty good track record. Springfield is also ok, but as I said before, they do have junk made parts in them, but it appears whoever their vendor is, is making them right...they're not breaking.

The 1911 has taken a bad rap the last few years, as it can be a toss up with taking one out of the box, and it running properly. It's not the design, so much as the makers have got away from the original specs.

Hilton Yam said it best;

"It is not the same as the GI issue gun that was carefully handcrafted at the Colt factory nearly a century ago. When Colt first started producing the gun way back in the day, they were the only ones making it - their parts, their mags, ammo to their spec.
The design has been around for so long that any particular 1911 is now made with parts made to various specs that have wandered away from the original for one reason or another, and is fed with ammo and mags that have similarly changed or evolved. This is the reason why the 1911 does well with tuning by a skilled hand, something that it typically does not receive at the modern factory. The gun also needs proper cleaning and maintenance to reach its full potential. Take care of your 1911 and it will do its job for you like nothing else can."

I'm surprised my husband hasn't posted here yet, but he has a Springfield Armory and -loves- it. He uses it for his daily carry gun, with an In-waist-band holster. (Also, Hogue grips added were awesome and worth the 20 bucks)

We've also heard of people having great experiences with Springfield's warranty.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top