JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I want to buy my first 1911. My budget is $750. What will give me the most bang for the buck?

1.) Study your preferences and the marketplace carefully. If you want a showpiece your budget will get you into the game on a fairly low level.
2.) If you want a dependable carry weapon you should do well at that price point.
3.) If you are not familiar with the 1911 get with someone who is and let them clue you in on the characteristics of this classic.
4.) If you buy a USED weapon, get some advice from an experienced 1911 hand to clue you in for things to watch for.
5.) Enjoy shooting one of the finest designs ever made!!!!

Be careful of any "advice" offered by gun shops. There out to make a buck and will try to move guns that have been on the shelf for some time. Do your research, there are two excellent 1911 forums full of info and fianlly here us a link to really give you the low down on how to get a great 1911. It's written by Hilton Yam who is considered a 1911 authority.
http://www.10-8consulting.com/article_page.php?articleID=13

I think you will find a good 1911 for that price. I own colt's, para's and auto ordnance and none is particularly better than the other. I also owned a PT1911 and it shot ever bit as good as my Colt! Happy hunting and enjoy!

You can pick up a new Springfield gi for about $500. The colts are good but in my opinion you paying for the name. The Taurus pt1911 is a nice affordable option.

If it were me, and I didn't already have too many 1911s, I'd pick up a new springfield.

A lot of folks will recommend you go cheap on your first 1911. For example: Mil-Spec and GI models from Para, Caspian, Rock River Armory, Taurus, and many others. What you will get is a basic/classic 1911 with fixed sights (terrible). I have a Springfield 1911 MC Operator (MSRP $1100+ new) and my wife just bought a Taurus PT1911 (Paid $589). Comparing the two I can say that Taurus is filthy out of the box, no night sights (my operator does), does have ambi-safety, front checkering, cheap plastic grips, better sights .vs GI style BUT it shoots great. Great value. Taurus has a Lifetime Warranty and that was why I even let my wife get it but customer service is hit or miss. For your budget of $750, you can go with a PT1911 and spend the rest on ammo. I'd recommend Springfield Armory 1911 Loaded (Around $650-$750), there are parkerized and stainless versions, also I hear good things about the new Range Officer model which is a bit cheaper i think. Make sure you shop around for the best deal. Springfield has a Lifetime Warranty with excellent customer service record, even if the gun you bought is used. Take it for what it's worth.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top