Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

First 1911

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by 17hornet, Feb 24, 2011.

1. 17hornet

17hornet Aurora New Member

I want to buy my first 1911. My budget is $750. What will give me the most bang for the buck?

2. MA Duce

MA Duce Central Oregon Well-Known Member

1.) Study your preferences and the marketplace carefully. If you want a showpiece your budget will get you into the game on a fairly low level.
    2.) If you want a dependable carry weapon you should do well at that price point.
    3.) If you are not familiar with the 1911 get with someone who is and let them clue you in on the characteristics of this classic.
    4.) If you buy a USED weapon, get some advice from an experienced 1911 hand to clue you in for things to watch for.
    5.) Enjoy shooting one of the finest designs ever made!!!!

3. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

Get a Colt the first time. Then, you can decide if you want something better or with other features. Or, you might be happy the way it is and not regret not buying a Colt... :)

4. torrejon224

torrejon224 Springfield, OR Member

Be careful of any "advice" offered by gun shops. There out to make a buck and will try to move guns that have been on the shelf for some time. Do your research, there are two excellent 1911 forums full of info and fianlly here us a link to really give you the low down on how to get a great 1911. It's written by Hilton Yam who is considered a 1911 authority.
    http://www.10-8consulting.com/article_page.php?articleID=13

5. absoluterik07

absoluterik07 Salem, OR Member

link not working

6. MA Duce

MA Duce Central Oregon Well-Known Member

Hilton Yam is a legend.

7. torrejon224

torrejon224 Springfield, OR Member

Link has been fixed

8. Quick_Draw_McGraw

Quick_Draw_McGraw Burien, WA Member

im quite happy with my Taurus PT1911 and they are around $550 new depending on caliber and finish

9. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

10. SteelyDan

SteelyDan Junction City Active Member

I think you will find a good 1911 for that price. I own colt's, para's and auto ordnance and none is particularly better than the other. I also owned a PT1911 and it shot ever bit as good as my Colt! Happy hunting and enjoy!

11. Benny503

Benny503 Grants Pass Well-Known Member

I am surprise noone recommend Kimber... I just wondering why?

12. 22many

22many PNW Well-Known Member

You can pick up a new Springfield gi for about $500. The colts are good but in my opinion you paying for the name. The Taurus pt1911 is a nice affordable option.

If it were me, and I didn't already have too many 1911s, I'd pick up a new springfield.

13. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

You've got a number of options both new and used. Do some reading, figure out what you want then start looking at guns.

14. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

A Kimber Compact Series I is my carry piece, never a problem and I trust my life with it. I also own 2 Colts and a couple Springers all great 1911s, but I carry the Kimber....:thumbup:

15. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

I would find a nice used Colt. Colt well cost a bit more but have better resale.

16. Dell_dude

Dell_dude Vancouver, WA Member

For that money, I'd start with a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec.

They start @ about $600.

Shoot it a bit, then decide what, if anything you'd like to change or upgrade.

I went that route and I love my SA 1911.

17. andreys21

andreys21 Milwaukie, OR Active Member

A lot of folks will recommend you go cheap on your first 1911. For example: Mil-Spec and GI models from Para, Caspian, Rock River Armory, Taurus, and many others. What you will get is a basic/classic 1911 with fixed sights (terrible). I have a Springfield 1911 MC Operator (MSRP $1100+ new) and my wife just bought a Taurus PT1911 (Paid $589). Comparing the two I can say that Taurus is filthy out of the box, no night sights (my operator does), does have ambi-safety, front checkering, cheap plastic grips, better sights .vs GI style BUT it shoots great. Great value. Taurus has a Lifetime Warranty and that was why I even let my wife get it but customer service is hit or miss. For your budget of $750, you can go with a PT1911 and spend the rest on ammo. I'd recommend Springfield Armory 1911 Loaded (Around $650-$750), there are parkerized and stainless versions, also I hear good things about the new Range Officer model which is a bit cheaper i think. Make sure you shop around for the best deal. Springfield has a Lifetime Warranty with excellent customer service record, even if the gun you bought is used. Take it for what it's worth.

18. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

I will. I picked up a used Kimber Custom II a few years ago for $550 and it's been great. Accurate, reliable, smooth.

19. zane

zane Vancouver, WA Member

Colt, Kimber, or Springfield will all treat you well. A basic 1911 from them will get you familiar with the platform but will last forever.

20. zane

zane Vancouver, WA Member