JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ordered it via Gunbroker on 14th of May and was finally able to pick it up today.

It was worth the wait. Absolutely floored by the fit and finish. Slide to frame fit is superb and the slide racks like it's on ball bearings. Exceeded my expectations for a 1911 at this price point.

It's a Remington 1911 R1 Limited in .40 S&W.

Remington doesn't offer them anymore and instead has the "Enhanced" model. A gun shop had a bunch of them in stock and the MSRP was $1200. Found a few for around $900 on Bud's Guns and other places. This shop was getting rid of them for $549. Plus there is a current rebate for $50, so $499 for a loaded up 1911 that appears to be as nice as those costing twice as much.

There is no rattle like I recall with the old GI models and virtually no play in the slide to frame fit. Trigger is a little heavier, but no creep and breaks like glass. Probably around 5 lbs, but will have to get it home to test it.

Haven't shot it yet, since I literally picked it up on my lunch break, but will do a proper range report on my next day off, which is Sunday.

IMG_20200603_193919462.jpg

IMG_20200603_193935065.jpg

Very nice!

The CNC method of making a 1911 is very precise.
My CZ CCO is very tightly made. And a different 1911 than the guns I shot in the military.

Remember the old 1911A1's were machined using many individual cuts, processes and jigs.. They realy were a bit of a piece of art.
That being said they didn't rattle when they were new. Only later when they were all clapped out and rebuilt/repaired many times.

Those Remmy/Para Ordnance 1911's are pretty damn nice for the price, especially when measured against much more expensive "Fashion Bland Labels" that don't really run any better! Nice score, should serve you well the rest of your life, and it will always be there for you like a faithful friend!

Those Remmy/Para Ordnance 1911's are pretty damn nice for the price, especially when measured against much more expensive "Fashion Bland Labels" that don't really run any better! Nice score, should serve you well the rest of your life, and it will always be there for you like a faithful friend!
I was inspecting the target rear sight to see what kind it was and it has "Para-Ord" stamped on it. I'm sure most of the pistol has Para-Ordinance parts in it.

i have a colt competition, a remington r1 enhanced/threaded and a springfield loaded. my remington is the smoothest BUT its also has WAAAAY more rounds put thru it than the other two. you're gonna enjoy that r1. congrats!

Finally had a break in the weather and was able to run out to the "range" for some impromptu plinking between errands today. Sunny but very windy. I normally go to my dad's place with an indoor bench and official targets, but didn't have time and just wanted to verify functioning, so gravel pit outside of town it was.

Good news is that the pistol functioned 100% both with factory Mecgar mags and Wilson Combat mags. Recoil was of course, mild.

Initial 5 rounds using Speer Lawman 180gr .40 S&W were disappointing. At 10 yards offhand, pistol was shooting about 3" high and the group was all over the place.

New gun with completely different system than I've been shooting for decades, so some warming up is to be expected.

Fired a second group using my reloads with 180gr XTPs that are a bit hot. Grouped better, about 2 1/4".

Fired more groups using some American Eagle 180gr and 155gr and the Speer stuff. Didn't bring any more flavors of reloads since no bench and really wasn't going for groups just yet; just a function check.

Adjusted the sights a few times and the last group was fired aiming at the bar code on the box. Just about perfect point of aim and a decent 1 1/4" 5-shot group.

Overall it was OK. Recoil was noticeably less than my other .40 S&W pistols, but this one is not as accurate as my other defensive pistols.

Perhaps with some more load development and trigger time, it will improve, but overall, I really wasn't that impressed with the accuracy or handling. Maybe too many decades with Glocks and M&Ps.

IMG_20200608_195609284.jpg

Finally had a break in the weather and was able to run out to the "range" for some impromptu plinking between errands today. Sunny but very windy. I normally go to my dad's place with an indoor bench and official targets, but didn't have time and just wanted to verify functioning, so gravel pit outside of town it was.

Good news is that the pistol functioned 100% both with factory Mecgar mags and Wilson Combat mags. Recoil was of course, mild.

Initial 5 rounds using Speer Lawman 180gr .40 S&W were disappointing. At 10 yards offhand, pistol was shooting about 3" high and the group was all over the place.

New gun with completely different system than I've been shooting for decades, so some warming up is to be expected.

Fired a second group using my reloads with 180gr XTPs that are a bit hot. Grouped better, about 2 1/4".

Fired more groups using some American Eagle 180gr and 155gr and the Speer stuff. Didn't bring any more flavors of reloads since no bench and really wasn't going for groups just yet; just a function check.

Adjusted the sights a few times and the last group was fired aiming at the bar code on the box. Just about perfect point of aim and a decent 1 1/4" 5-shot group.

Overall it was OK. Recoil was noticeably less than my other .40 S&W pistols, but this one is not as accurate as my other defensive pistols.

Perhaps with some more load development and trigger time, it will improve, but overall, I really wasn't that impressed with the accuracy or handling. Maybe too many decades with Glocks and M&Ps.

View attachment 708196

For 30ft with irons that is not what I would call bad at all. figure if that was on the center of someone you wanted to stop? Looks good. Certainly need to test with some kind of rest, see how much is the pistol and how much is the operator. Suspect with more range time the groups will shrink for you. Damn nice looking pistol.

View attachment 708196
That's good enough for minute of snot locker... You did good!

Upgraded the grips to some slightly less aggressive and really like them. Looks better, too. Would love to go to wood, but they wouldn't look right on a more "tactical" themed 1911...

IMG_20200610_181002963.jpg

Wait, there's not even screws in them thar grips...

Didn't even need to put them in to realize I like the other ones more. But, I put the new grips on and tightened the screws and everything looked and felt great.

Picked up the gun a little bit ago and discovered that the safety wouldn't budge. New grips were clearanced on the right side for an ambidextrous safety, but not enough. Will have to break out the dremel tool and remove a little bit more material.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top