JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So ten years ago I purchased four Firestone winter tires, studded for my Tacoma. Since these were mounted on a set of spare wheels I only run them in the winter months (Dec. to March, sometimes mid April) and in some cases not at all. Total miles on the tires are way less than five thousand and they are stored out of the sunlight in an insulated shed. Decided to do the change over this year and was informed of the Firestone policy of not installing ten year old tires despite the fact they looked new and had no sign of cracked sidewall or other deterioration. Firestone now recommends that tires be replaced every three to five years. Have to wonder about the mileage sales pitch and why bother getting quality tires (supposedly) if you have to replace them that often. Walmart looks like a good option since you don't have to pay for all the marketing. This is first time in forty years of swapping between all seasons and winter tires that I have heard of the ten year deadline. I was informed of this by my local Firestone dealer!

Here is the clip from the Firestone warranty--it does NOT require replacement of 10 yr old tires.

"Make sure your tires, including the spare tire, continue to be regularly inspected after 5 years of service to determine if they can continue in service. Even when your tires appear to be usable from their external appearance or the tread depth may have not reached the minimum wear out depth, it is recommended that all tires (including spare tires and "temporary use" spares) more than 10 years old be replaced with new tires"

Your tires on your rims----if they won't swap them find a different tire store or do it yourself.

I've sworn off all tire stores.

All they do is push you to buy more stuff you don't need.

I really like Firestone All Terrains. I just don't buy them directly from them anymore.

My last time in a Firestone store was a few years ago.

They were messing with my brakes, I never told them to touch my brakes, they stripped a screw. Took me forever to get them to replace the entire assembly since they should not have touched it in the first place.

Don't even get me started on Les Schwab.

I will never buy Firestones again.
Had a new set of 'Stones back in the '80s. Within the first year, three of them developed bubbles in the sidewall. Only found out after a blowout on the freeway. Took them to Firestone dealer and they refused to honor the warranty. Later a recall letter came out and the company offered a pro-rated compensation. I remember it being something insulting like $10/tire for tires that cost >$80 apiece.
Won't ever get Michelins again either, but that's another story.

From what i remember. The 10 year thing is something that D.O.T. recommends for replacing tires. Being firestone is one of the bigger companies (that also has install shops) that diesnt really surprise me. My place of work has the same policy.
Old tires get brittle and hard, negating positive effects of tires being made out of rubber compounds.

But....go to a small shop and im sure theyd put em on. Or if you have jackstands and (preferably) a torque wrench.

Did accident reconstruction in a previous life and still very involved in traffic safety. You will get different opinions everywhere you turn on this. Honestly, 10 years is getting a bit old for tires. Congrats for storing them well as this will definitely extend the life. From some of the experts I have worked with in this area (including attending a few tire failure specific classes...yes they exist) the materials age in areas we cannot see. Just like cracking of the sidewall does not mean the tire is bad, seeing no damage does not mean a tire is good. This is something we all need to consider for our spares (myself included). If they have ever been plugged, it is possible water can get in this area and seep into areas that causes unseen damage.

Keep in mind, I'm just another one of those opinions. :D

I'm still miffed about four studded tires or no studded tires being a law?!?! Especially considering most cars (at least at the time it became law) have one wheel drive. It is not a law to put chains on four tires, Yet!
I believe these laws are lobbied for by tire dealers and manufacturers to sell more tires.

I'm still miffed about four studded tires or no studded tires being a law?!?! Especially considering most cars (at least at the time it became law) have one wheel drive. It is not a law to put chains on four tires, Yet!
I believe these laws are lobbied for by tire dealers and manufacturers to sell more tires.
I remember the first year I was told they wouldn't sell me only two snow tires back in Nevada. I was pissed. Thankfully, here in Oregon, where I'm at, I no longer need snow tires.

I will never buy Firestones again.
Had a new set of 'Stones back in the '80s. Within the first year, three of them developed bubbles in the sidewall. Only found out after a blowout on the freeway. Took them to Firestone dealer and they refused to honor the warranty. Later a recall letter came out and the company offered a pro-rated compensation. I remember it being something insulting like $10/tire for tires that cost >$80 apiece.
Won't ever get Michelins again either, but that's another story.

I had 4 Yokohamas on my Highlander. One developed a blem/bleb/bulge in the sidewall and had to be replaced, but Schwab wouldn't install a non-matching tire. Grrrr.

Also, I had a set of six very expensive load rated tires on my 36' 5th... after my right eye went bad the trailer sat for a few years. The tires weren't in the sun, yet they developed extensive sidewall cracks while still having good tread. After some research I found that due to the nature of rubber, tires need to turn/rotate/spin to keep the compounds physically intact. It's weird. A chem scientist could probably spell it out properly...

Blame the lawyers, probably.

I got tired of being a customer so I bought a tire machine and a balancer. Amazon and Ebay deliver right to my door.

In mostly 14 years and 200,000 miles I went thru 10 (2 sets and spares) tires, all trouble free Firestone AT Revos on my SUV. One set was new around 2006, the other set new in 2009. I just rotated thru all of them, kept the extra set in the garage. I only retired them due to a combination of age and them being near the end of their life and the rims were getting ugly from wear so I upgraded to a great deal on a set of new takeoff rims and larger tires. I had the two overlapping sets for years and am pretty sure at the end there I was driving on tires from 2009. I wasn't really aware until recently that tires over 6 years old are recommended for replacement, and over 10 years strongly recommended, and that many shops won't touch old or used tires.

The 1 time cost of a jack will be about the same as paying someone else each time so may as well just do it yourself going forward. Or set this set aside as spares and get a new set.

Good luck!

Bring them to my place i'll swap them out for you charge is a box of KIRKLAND Dog Cookies $13.00

Kirkland used to make a gingerbread dog cookie. I bought them all the time for my dog and she loved them. I started kinda sharing them with her and then realized I had a problem when I was putting them on the grocery list. For me. :D

Some won't even patch a 10 year old tire . I to also keep my winter TIRES mounted on extra rims . It's better than paying for mount ball every winter Not to count the wait time for the panic mounting at the last minute .I have extra sets on rims put away. The last set I pulled out to run where 90 % and cracked to the point of DOA what a waste .They don't make stuff the way they used to. And they were higher end speed rated tires.

Kirkland used to make a gingerbread dog cookie. I bought them all the time for my dog and she loved them. I started kinda sharing them with her and then realized I had a problem when I was putting them on the grocery list. For me. :D
@Kruel J
Your a good man Mister
Lincoln gets the Kirkland
Ruby My Golden is allergic to seems like everything, So she gets holistic cookies no pork fat or chicken or by products she seems to be doing good with the peanut butter ones for now

@Kruel J
Your a good man Mister
Lincoln gets the Kirkland
Ruby My Golden is allergic to seems like everything, So she gets holistic cookies no pork fat or chicken or by products she seems to be doing good with the peanut butter ones for now

I always figured if I expected her to eat it then it's only fair for me to try it as well.

Problem was, I started really liking them and found myself snacking on them with her.

@fredball your OP made me think of her today. She's been gone 12 years........

Thank you. :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top