JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am to the age starting to think I can't take them with me. My kids do not have the interest in them. I don't need or use all of them. Still, it is hard to let go, even though my drive to shoot bullseye has waned. I think I would sell off my 41s and HS pistols before I sold the last MarkII. I think I would sell off all the old Remingtons before the last M70.

Last Edited:
I kind of agree that everything has its price. But, my Dad's .30-06 that he customized, my Granddad's Model 12 would likely be the last to go because nobody would pay me what they are worth to me. I have a baseball from the late 30s signed by both DiMaggios, Lefty Gomez, Tony Lazzeri, and a few others. Like the guns, nobody will give me what its worth to me. The rest of the guns, make me an offer. But, for now, I will more likely sell only to "trade up". If there is something I really want, I'll start at the bottom of the desirability list and work up.
That baseball would retire you a millionaire!

Great grandfather's restored rolling block.
RRB Restore - 11.jpg

Mother's Colt 1903.
colt32b.jpg

S&W (Howa) 1500
S&W1500 - 3.jpg

I took this rifle out to the range to sight it in for deer season the other day. I had not touched it in probably 10 months. I fired 3 rounds and got a 1" group, dead center, 1" high at 100 yards, which is perfect for a .30-06 to be dead on at 200 yards. That's exactly as I left it last year. After those 3 rounds I put it away. Clyde, the range master, asked if that's all I was going to shoot and I told him I was going down to the pistol range to try out a new pistol. Why screw with it when it's dead on? He just chuckled and nodded.

My guns are in a trust and will go to my son and son-in-law. I'll enjoy them as long as I'm upright.

I gave my son-in-law one of my pistols. I've given woodworking tools and reloading equipment & supplies to family and close friends. I don't need the money, and like to help the young guys [with less discretionary income] further pursue shared interests.

It's all stuff and I worked hard to afford it originally. I'm retired now and feeling my age [70], so passing things along to family and close friends is a gentle way of letting go.

If you can't buy ammo...why have the gun? These days it's like owning a car, but no gas stations.

I can't imagine being too attached to firearms when the rent is due, and millions are underwater on rents and mortgages.

When I inherited my late friend machine guns this year, I also share them in a family gun trust with a total azzhat from Chicago.
He owns a half share interest in them, but since he can't have machine guns in Illinois, they are permanently in my possession until I decide to sell them.
If that occurs, he would be due 1/2 of the money.
I detest this guy so much, I would be tempted to just cut the receivers into little pieces and send him his half of them, before I send him any cash.
My biggest worry is Oregon State changing the laws pertaining to private ownership of tax stamped machine guns.

Last Edited:
If you can't buy ammo...why have the gun? These days it's like owning a car, but no gas stations.

I can't imagine being too attached to firearms when the rent is due, and millions are underwater on rents and mortgages.
That's the thing.

I don't own a single gun I don't have ammo for - most of them at least a thousand rounds per.

Also, I wouldn't buy guns & ammo, or make any other discretionary expenditure, if I felt that I would EVER need those $ to pay the non-discretionary bills.

So no, I won't sell any of the guns I have just to pay bills. For the foreseeable future, I would only sell a gun if I don't like the gun - and at this point I like all of my guns.

When I owned a business I learned the difference between expense money and capital money. You NEVER spend capital money on expenses. That's like cutting off your hand so you'll have something to eat for lunch. Having to sell firearms in order to pay the rent means that whatever you're doing, career-wise/income-wise, it's not working. It solves the problem for 30 days, but then next month you have the same problem.

Aside from that, how does the fact that other people can't pay their rent or mortgages affect my financial decisions? I don't owe them anything.

I've had an LE6920 for years that I shoot very well, in every drill and at every distance. It's like an extension of me.

The truth is right now I can't bear to part with anything. My small collection is exactly how I want it. I love them all.

When I owned a business I learned the difference between expense money and capital money. You NEVER spend capital money on expenses. That's like cutting off your hand so you'll have something to eat for lunch. Having to sell firearms in order to pay the rent means that whatever you're doing, career-wise/income-wise, it's not working. It solves the problem for 30 days, but then next month you have the same problem.

Aside from that, how does the fact that other people can't pay their rent or mortgages affect my financial decisions? I don't owe them anything.
And when you were in business did it make sense to keep any capital around that couldn't be serviced, fixed, moved, sold, or used? So keeping a gun around with no ammo equates to pretty much having a rental car business but no fuel to put in them.

And when you were in business did it make sense to keep any capital around that couldn't be serviced, fixed, moved, sold, or used? So keeping a gun around with no ammo equates to pretty much having a rental car business but no fuel to put in them.
There are no guns in my safe that I don't have at least a few hundred, if not thousand rounds for. When I was in business one facet of that business was a rental fleet. When, due to Jimmy Carter, fuel became "impossible" to buy I discovered that if I paid an extra 5¢ per gallon, and had it delivered at 3 am in an unmarked truck by a guy named Guido, I could get all the fuel I needed.

I would never sell the 4 that I inherited when my dad passed away. In fact, I've already gifted them to my son.

:D

Uh
Rental car customers are the ones who pay for fuel.

Btw , you never came down to gas up my car, bro.

You're not really into firearms that much then.....not sure why you would join a firearm forum if you don't find any "attachment" to them.........like owning a car but hating to drive........

Several. Old man passed and left me a safe full and don't see myself parting with anything that was his. Got other stuff that would go first thats for sure. And if ya tell her I said that I will definitely deny it!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top