JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They aren't really sure what is causing the bullets to jump. They figure the bullets are loosing most of not a sizable portion of their energy, the problem is bullet containment. Lots of ranges have environmentalists on their butts. So they are concerned that if bullets are not impacting the berm in a way that the berm can stop and hold the bullet, they need to figure out something else.

You are correct about the type of shooting adding to the problem. I imagine during a mag dump 1/2 of the rounds hit the ground before the berm causing them to ricochet upwards in an arc with or without a good amount of energy.

Simple geometry it seems, an excessively tall berm is needed when idiots are allowed to use the facilities. The local range I attend mandates 1 round loaded, 1 shot, 1 round loaded, 1 shot. It's unbearable for people who want to mag dump. They have an action bay where fast shooting can be done with rifles and pistols. Once participation in a action shooting sport is well established, access to the action bay can be granted. The process seems to do a great job of weeding out the people who could ruin it for everyone else.

Simple geometry it seems, an excessively tall berm is needed when idiots are allowed to use the facilities. The local range I attend mandates 1 round loaded, 1 shot, 1 round loaded, 1 shot. It's unbearable for people who want to mag dump. They have an action bay where fast shooting can be done with rifles and pistols. Once participation in a action shooting sport is well established, access to the action bay can be granted. The process seems to do a great job of weeding out the people who could ruin it for everyone else.

You know your'e just sending them out into the woods by doing that. Better place to shoot anyway but that one round in the mag crap is for the birds.

You know your'e just sending them out into the woods by doing that. Better place to shoot anyway but that one round in the mag crap is for the birds.

Ok, lets think about this for a moment. At the range I attend, houses have been built in the surrounding area where there once was no houses (old range) Although the natural landscape of the range is preferred leaving the shooting direction pointed at a natural hillside. If a incompetent shooter had an errant shot over the natural hill it could easily end up hitting someone's house less than a mile away. Such an errant shot could very easily be cause for the range to receive strong legal challenge to be shut down. This rule is easily bypassed by becoming a member of the club and demonstrating basic proficiency in being able to consistently hit the target. Even then, mag dumping is limited to the action bay where distances are much shorter and the angle of the backdrop is much steeper providing for increased precautionary measures.

Saying that a range and their rules that support the survival of the range into the future is causing idiots to go out into the woods bringing with them appliances and mag dumping leaving garbage wherever they go is rather absurd. Those types of gun owners are complete trash and it is unlikely that their perception of 'target shooting' would lead them to want to participate at a local range where they must pay to abide by basic safety rules and are limited to what targets they can shoot. Some people are simply too committed to their douche baggery.

Not at all. If I wanted to go shooting and the only ranges around were the one round in the mag type I'd pack my stuff out and go out into the rock pits and forest. I clean up my stuff and pack in what I pack out but theres no way in hell I'd pay my good money to shoot at any range regulating how many rounds I put in a magazine especially if that amount is one. I went to your range. Once.

One of the things I enjoy about Eastern Washington is the virtually unlimited open range area where you can shoot what you want how you want without range nazi's breathing down your neck. One round in the mag. Meh.

Not at all. If I wanted to go shooting and the only ranges around were the one round in the mag type I'd pack my stuff out and go out into the rock pits and forest. I clean up my stuff and pack in what I pack out but theres no way in hell I'd pay my good money to shoot at any range regulating how many rounds I put in a magazine especially if that amount is one. I went to your range. Once.

One of the things I enjoy about Eastern Washington is the virtually unlimited open range area where you can shoot what you want how you want without range nazi's breathing down your neck. One round in the mag. Meh.

Your reference to shooting on federal and state land is a strong example of what I just discussed. You are indicating that you enjoy the limitless opportunities that shooting unrestrained offers.

It's great for sure, but it's the same reason why there is a trash pit out in the woods at effectively every well known shooting spot. People who don't operate like you (and me) and make it as clean as the way they found it leave the land littered with trash, start fires with irresponsible practices, and ruin it for everyone else. And what I will continue to reiterate is, that someone who is that irresponsible is primarily not going to bother going to a range in the first place where rules do exist that conflict with the majority of everything they do with a firearm.

Even if at RFGC the rule of one round at a time were lifted for the general public, it still wouldn't attract the 'problem people' because of the other rules regarding safe firearm handling, cost to utilize the range, and rules regarding the cadence of fire (no rapid firing on the rifle line) would leave 'problem people' happy to go elsewhere where such rules not apply like they already do.

Last Edited:
La grande in the winter vs Hillsboro you can see cultural differences big time. Also Here you get the cops called and walk out to a mob if you leave your dog in the car while you pay for gas. In la grande half the trucks at Walmart have dogs in the back regardless of time of year. I should be moving back that way soon.

Mmmm, I think you are misberemembering. BTW I don't leave my, or even take, my dog in the car unless it's within 10F either side of 65F.

If you are ever out east and want to see what a good range is like stop by Sun Valley.

Will do, but as someone who lives in this state you probably already realize that the type of people you encounter on the eastside compared to the westside are also a contributing factor why range rules exist the way that they do.

I'm going to be at the local outdoor range in Missoula soon. Membership only $50 annually, no public access. Standard safe firearm handling rules but nothing like what is over here. It's refreshing, but they don't have to put up with a lot of the bologna over there and can more safely have less restrained operating procedures. The level of firearm 'common sense' is much greater there.

There was a news article some time ago indicating exactly that... one of the microbrew places was using recycled waste water to help prove that modern sewage treatment plants are doing such a fab job. o_O:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

One of my responsibilities is managing a modern waste treatment facility..... yeah, no.

The BLM every summer closes shooting of tannerite type targets and anything with a steel core bullet and tracer rounds as fires around my area in Idaho have been started by these methods through the years...The black powder club that meets in Vale only meet in winter months for shooting...And yes...a couple fires have been started in the forest also by sparks from bullets hitting something hard...but also catalytic converters from vehicles, cigarettes thrown out into dry grass, camp fires, lightening etc....However...I used to fight forest fires and an interesting thing I learned was that cigarettes cause .01% of all forest fires...so makes you wonder what % is actually caused by firearms as less people are probably using them than smokers smoking....Seems to me just another liberal agenda to limit our freedoms...

I'm goin' shootin' this weekend! Got me a pile of tracers and some of those explodin' targets and me and the boys is gonna have some fun! If we sees any little fires pop up from the tracers we'll just use some whiskey to put them out!

Common sense isn't so common unfortunately. :rolleyes:
Some idiot did that in the hills behind Pedee yrs ago. Shooting tracers into a hillside in late August. The Monetary cost in lost timber
IIRC was a couple million. He did time over it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top