JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have started a fire in Washington this time of year shooting on public land. Luckily it was a small grass fire and burned less than an acre but it was started by me no doubt from ricochet. You don't realize how much ricochet you get until you shoot with silencers attached. It just take one piece of metal smacking a rock at 500 miles and hour to spark. It is BONE DRY in eastern Washington right now and I'm not sure folks on the west side appreciate how much of a tinder box it is right now.

=https%3A%2F%2Fpics.onsizzle.com%2Fextreme-fire-danger-dont-even-fart-in-the-forest-via-27658376.png
Seriously like others have said why is this even being discussed.
Just wait it out, in a month or so it will be all back to normal.
Why give the antis any more excuses, starting a fire thats on us as well as its prevention.

I know what I am talking about, I used to watch Emergency and Adam12 in the 1970's and I used to live a mile away from a fire station that makes me an expert :p

And people gave George Bush crud over "the 1 percent doctrine"... I supported it. Heck I support this as long as we come to agree that the likelihood is extremely low. I wish I had a smart phone to show where I shoot. I know not everyone is as careful as me; therein lies the problem I guess.

I wouldnt say the likelihood is low at all. It might be low in Hillsboro but on the East side ANYTHING will start a fire right now. Its not a question of you being careful. Your bullet goes places you never imagined. If you think that when you shoot into a dirt embankment it stays there you are sorely mistaken. Put a silencer on sometime. You'll hear stuff you never imagined.

I wouldnt say the likelihood is low at all. It might be low in Hillsboro but on the East side ANYTHING will start a fire right now. Its not a question of you being careful. Your bullet goes places you never imagined. If you think that when you shoot into a dirt embankment it stays there you are sorely mistaken. Put a silencer on sometime. You'll hear stuff you never imagined.
100% truthful. Bullets do funny things. They go in weird directions and act unknowingly odd.

Talking with a range designer/expert he was talking about the recent uptick in AR15s and how they are having a really hard time finding a way to control bullet loss. In other words, even with a superior backstop, ranges are still finding bullets well past the backstops by hundreds of yards. The velocity alone is causing bounce and such.

I'm goin' shootin' this weekend! Got me a pile of tracers and some of those explodin' targets and me and the boys is gonna have some fun! If we sees any little fires pop up from the tracers we'll just use some whiskey to put them out!

You don't live East enough to sound like a real redneck. Nor south enough. :p:p;)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdQMWL5jSeyAk2KPx7jpi40ec53petIYGepsuwH10WWCyHZ_jm.jpg

You don't live East enough to sound like a real redneck. Nor south enough. :p:p;)

View attachment 486178
La grande in the winter vs Hillsboro you can see cultural differences big time. Also Here you get the cops called and walk out to a mob if you leave your dog in the car while you pay for gas. In la grande half the trucks at Walmart have dogs in the back regardless of time of year. I should be moving back that way soon.

Last Edited:
Indeed. Last weekend I took a look at the dry conditions and decided to turn back around from my shooting trip, no signs posted.

It sucked, but something that would have sucked more would have been igniting a grass fire that turned into a forest fire because I wanted to do a little target practice.

Heaven help us if the USFS ever reports the cause of a large fire up here is firearms related.

"Guns now indirectly killing people and burning down homes" would be the headline.
You mean like this fire?
Yakima ordered to pay $157,227 over fire caused by police officers' negligence

100% truthful. Bullets do funny things. They go in weird directions and act unknowingly odd.

Talking with a range designer/expert he was talking about the recent uptick in AR15s and how they are having a really hard time finding a way to control bullet loss. In other words, even with a superior backstop, ranges are still finding bullets well past the backstops by hundreds of yards. The velocity alone is causing bounce and such.

That sounds hokey, the AR15 is not the speed king, it's also so light that it dumps major energy into anything it contacts. The .270, .30-06 and .308 all achieve as fast velocities as the .223 with standard ammo, especially when fired from 16 inch barrels which is the most common AR length barrel.

The larger issue with the AR15 is a preponderance of idiots who shoot faster than can conpetentently control the firearm and because the AR15 allows such firing, it will be common for most all ranges to experience such problems if yayhoos are allowed / can do that. Rapid firing of a .270, .30-06 or .308 bolt isn't common compared to the vast array of noobs who think mag dumping requires any amount of skill while they mostly miss the intended target entirely.

This post isn't meant to be inflammatory, the culture of firearm ownership has simply changed, there are seemingly a lot of people who are 'into guns' but have little or no understanding of bullet drop, or offset compared to various distances with their zero.

Going to any public rifle range and observing targets will confirm this, lol.

It's actually rather sad what groups some people leave the range with saying "oh yeah, I know how to shoot" while their 24" group at a hundred yard target looks like it was hit by multiple 00 buck rounds.

That sounds hokey, the AR15 is not the speed king, it's also so light that it dumps major energy into anything it contacts. The .270, .30-06 and .308 all achieve as fast velocities as the .223 with standard ammo, especially when fired from 16 inch barrels which is the most common AR length barrel.

The larger issue with the AR15 is a preponderance of idiots who shoot faster than can conpetentently control the firearm and because the AR15 allows such firing, it will be common for most all ranges to experience such problems if yayhoos are allowed / can do that. Rapid firing of a .270, .30-06 or .308 bolt isn't common compared to the vast array of noobs who think mag dumping requires any amount of skill while they mostly miss the intended target entirely.

This post isn't meant to be inflammatory, the culture of firearm ownership has simply changed, there are seemingly a lot of people who are 'into guns' but have little or no understanding of bullet drop, or offset compared to various distances with their zero.

Going to any public rifle range and observing targets will confirm this, lol.

It's actually rather sad what groups some people leave the range with saying "oh yeah, I know how to shoot" while their 24" group at a hundred yard target looks like it was hit by multiple 00 buck rounds.
They aren't really sure what is causing the bullets to jump. They figure the bullets are loosing most of not a sizable portion of their energy, the problem is bullet containment. Lots of ranges have environmentalists on their butts. So they are concerned that if bullets are not impacting the berm in a way that the berm can stop and hold the bullet, they need to figure out something else.

You are correct about the type of shooting adding to the problem. I imagine during a mag dump 1/2 of the rounds hit the ground before the berm causing them to ricochet upwards in an arc with or without a good amount of energy.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top