JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'll be flying cross country this summer with my pistol, so I conducted some research regarding flying with a firearm. Hope this is useful to others:

Here is a link to a reciprocity map for concealed handgun licenses across the U.S. Click on the state in which you hold a CHL and it will show which other states honor that license.

Other useful links:
<broken link removed>
<broken link removed>
Delta Airlines policy
<broken link removed>
<broken link removed>

Most airlines appear to have the same policy regarding procedure:
1. Firearm must be declared when checking in
2. Firearm must be unloaded and secured in a locked, hardshell container
3. The key must remain in your possession at all times except during inspection of the firearm by a TSA official when you first check your luggage (this will happen in your presence and the key will be returned to you immediately after the visual inspection)
4. Maximum 11 lbs. of ammunition, must be secured in its box or a container designed for carrying ammunition; if ammunition is being transported in a magazine then the magazine must be secured in a proper pouch/holder such that the ammunition is not visible when the pouch/holder is closed.

You will also want to verify the carry restrictions in the state to which you are traveling, or ANY state in which you will be retaking possession of your firearm from the airlines and whether or not you can carry, transport, or possess in that state.

This info is based on one passenger traveling with a single, personally owned firearm. Other laws may restrict travel with multiple firearms.

If anyone else has useful info, please add links in here.

I've flown Alaska Airlines to numerous USPSA matches and I have to say it is one of the easiest airlines to fly with guns. Unlike the other airlines...Alaska doesn't have a 11lb restriction on ammo. Alaska simply has a 50lb weight restriction on baggage...and if you can cram 50lbs of ammo in there....go for it.

When flying with a pistol I run a heavy wire ty (12 inch) in through the chamber and out the muzzle letting the action trap it in place. Also with rifles I remove the bolt and wire ty it to the sling so it doesn't get lost. TSA has thanked me a few times as it makes it quicker to determine everything is unloaded.

Sweetbread,
I think that Front Sight or similar such training range operates just
outside of Vegas in the town of Parump, Nevada. It been many years
since I have been there (late 60s) but its on the edge of Death Valley
contains many dry lake beds, flat for that type of shooting. Downside
will be summer day time temperature may be a bit much for ya:s0155:
It is located west of Vegas over the top of Spring Mts. Guess timate is
about 70 miles or so.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show