JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm good. I guess when I read "Since you know everything already, it doesn't matter to me...." and "I am sure your more skilled in firearms than I" I'm just smart enough to smell the patronizing scent of a poster trying to make a point of discontent with what I've said, although long-winded and contrived. I'm an educated man, and as I said before I don't claim to know everything or quite frankly anything regarding firearms training.

I digress. I'm also smart enough to appreciate the offer of continued education along with the sincerity of some of the statements made by Clint. For that, thank you.

Let's just let this one go. As the old saying goes, "That dog won't hunt".

Jason

Jason, I am accessible if you ever want any home study materials, related to any courses. Or access to any firearm related products as well. I have two FFL dealerships in Oregon so I can get you some good pricing and I stock and sell ammo., reloading and ar-15 lowers stripped, a few good complete uppers and all firearms are new from distribution. I do not have a online store, and I have regular public walk in hours at either store. We are commonly known as Country Hardware and Market stores.
Thanks for the compliments as well!
Clint

Glad to see all the drama go away. Thanks for the lost time I will never recover reading about all the angst expressed...hope everyone's feelings are assuaged.

But I too, digress. When I took the Oregon and Utah courses, I had all I could do to stay awake. I hung in for the certificate, but to be honest, the bar is set pretty low to obtain a permit. But being a responsible gun owner and one very interested in protecting myself and my family, I have over the years taken classes offered by the local gun club and participated in bullseye and IDPA disciplines, all in an effort to become safer and more proficient.

While I hope to God I will never need my weapon, I train and practice in an attempt to use wise judgement and survive an armed encounter.

My thanks to all who contributed to this thread...your thoughtful comments give me much to think about.

tacticool-magazine.jpg :confused:

I definitely agree that many "firearms certification courses" are not really up to par when it comes to what they should be. Many years ago I took the NRA certified pistol instructor course, my intent was to get all of the certs for it (at the time I was on a real binge of collecting certs). However I was really underwhelmed with the curriculum that it stressed marksmanship with zero emphasis on gun handling beyond the safety aspects anyways. To this, I developed some of my own curriculum with an absolute focus on gun handling, followed by some marksmanship that all falls into place once the handling skills are there. I havn't done a class in quite a while, I might start it up again. Typically I do this only for family and friends. For a while I was doing the "team teach" with a few of the LAPD swat guys, those guys need tons of remedial firearms handling classes. It was a lot of fun...

For many years the Oregon CHL classes do not involve any guns, gun handling , or shooting. I've been told it's more about the responsibilities of carrying and using a gun. That's important stuff, for sure, but seems to be seriously lacking in the most critical area, the use of a gun.
Way back when, I took an Oregon CHL class. It was held at a range and we had to shoot 50 rounds to demonstrate "proficiency". Two of my classmates were older guys (70-ish) and they shared a pistol. The one that brought the gun did well. The other? Well, let's just say that I was glad to be done shooting and was away from the firing line when it was his turn to shoot. Still, he got his permit...
I've always felt that like a driver's license test where you have to prove that you know the laws and can drive a car safely, the CHL testing should verify safe use with a handgun.

The Classroom was actually an indoor range
For the third time this year, Atlanta police say they've had to launch an investigation into an officer possibly under the influence of alcohol at work.
Channel 2's Jessica Jaglois received a tip about the incident and was able to confirm it Friday.
A spokesperson for Atlanta police told her Officer Adam Lee is under investigation "following an allegation that he showed up at the training academy with alcohol on his breath."
They said the sworn officer was inside a classroom at the academy gun range at the time.
It is the third time an on-duty officer has been accused of being under the influence.
In January, Officer Joel Priest was fired after he showed up for duty smelling of alcohol, according to police.
A test showed his blood alcohol content was 0.11, more than the legal limit.
In February, another officer was investigated for being under the influence after hitting a mailbox with his patrol car.
Atlanta police wouldn't comment further on Lee's case. Some who live near the academy say they are concerned by the allegations.
"Right now it doesn't look like anyone's stepping up and addressing that and taking control over this matter. It's just getting worse," one resident said.
Officers say they have confidence in the police force.
"I think it's inevitable in any department or large organization that you're going to have people who try to bend the rules or think they can get by," another person said.
Atlanta police would not comment on Lee's status within the department but stressed that he is under investigation for allegations made against him

CCW permits/lisc as well as mandatory training are infringements of the 2nd Amendment. But this guy was still doing it wrong..

I'm all for training, just not via government force

Another veteran who thinks we owe him a living, and he is above the law. Not cool.

Has not got anything to do with his veteran status.
He is just a lazy con man.
Not one damned thing to do with being a veteran!

Pretty sad to try and pin it on being anything to do with being a vet.
Where did you get that ???

There should be some way to scrutinize the levels of various people before they are entered into a class if that class is mandated. Frankly classes being mandated are against the 2nd, but seemt to be what this society sucks on.
But taking someone that has knowledge levels exceeding the instructors, is wasting time for both and takes up room for those that truly need serious training. To date no one had developed any accepted way to split the levels of classes up.

Last Edited:
What the bubblegum does being a vet have to do with anything?

---

I'm afraid I can't get on board with mandatory classes, licensing, certification, or costs for exercising a right.... so I don't really care if this guy was exploiting that unconstitutional/corrupt system or not.

He didn't make a mockery of the system, all he did was demonstrate the mockery that it currently is.

I'm all for training, just not via government force

I'm afraid I can't get on board with mandatory classes, licensing, certification, or costs for exercising a right.... so I don't really care if this guy was exploiting that unconstitutional/corrupt system or not.

Gotta agree with both of these points.
I don't believe that we should have to be "licensed" to carry, it's supposed to be our right.

However, I've seen enough people handling guns at the stores that scare the hell outta me, too. I guess if society didn't have the break down long ago, guys and gals would still be taught safe handling at home when they were young.

It's all F-ed up...

Nevada requires a couple of hours I guess, but they do stipulate you be taught the Nevada laws. There is a written test (30 questions if I recall) and a performance test. You have to score 70% hits into a area a little smaller than a small pie plate, 6 rounds from 3 yards, 12 from 5 yards and 12 from 7 yards. Most pass.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top