JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So....
Since I started buying my own firearms back in 1997 or so I've always kept them stored in a conditioned space (inside the house) since I figure there is less moisture inside a home.

But . . . we're always a little tight on space in our house. And the location I have the safe is a bit awkward. It works but I wouldn't mind having it in a better location.

Is it ok to move the gun safe to the unheated garage? Or am I risking rust and corrosion out there? It's just a basic heavy gauge sheet metal safe. Nothing fancy or insulated.

I have a dehumidifier in my safe and have had them stored in unheated garages for years without any rusting.. I think a dehumidifier is the best option. They sell dehumidifiers that are specifically made for safes. You can probably just google "safe dehumidifier". Perhaps you can run a larger dehumidifier in your garage if moisture is a big problem. I heat my garage when I workout, as I have a weight room in my garage, but it doesn't seem to help with all the moisture that seeps in there.

I have my safe in an unheated shop building inside of a plywood cabinet that I built. There are electric dehumidifiers in both the safe and the cabinet. It's been there for a year or so and I haven't had any problems with moisture or rust yet.

Heated for sure, keep the condensation away! I have a network hard drive in my safe where we backup all the computers and it also keeps the safe nice and tosty :)

First thing is to find out what the relative humidity is in the location your thinking of placing the gun safe.
I bought two small LCD temp / humidity monitors on eBay for less then $5.00 each, and placed one in my unheated shop and the other inside the safe.
My safe came with a Golden Rod heater and it keeps the interior at a steady 49% moisture and the internal temperature a couple of degrees higher then the outside. 45% to 50% is optimal for wood stocks.
If you have wood stocked firearms, you don't want to dry out all of the moisture and have the wood shrinking and cracking.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top