JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Funny you mention it, because it was the rifle I was thinking of when I posted. It was ahead of its time, but didn't go much further due to Axis defeat. I know the Argentinians made a reverse engineered copy* in the late 40s and early 50s, but dumped it for the FN FAL pattern rifles. But that isn't much in the way of further development.

* These.
View attachment 1034669

Agreed. Naturally, the concept was popular in the 19th and early 20th century. And it lingered on with our British allies in the form of the Webley and Enfield wheelguns. But there isn't much in the way of them now. It would be great to see some modern designs with such. :)
I ran across this photo this morning. Free Syrian army 2013 attached to computer aided remote aiming (edit: and firing) device.

1632052180974.png 1632052180974.png

Last Edited:
I'm going to go a different direction, likely an unpopular one as well.

All Glocks that fundamentally have not changed besides minor "Apple iPhone" type changes over the many years. Imagine what they could produce if allowed.

MP5 and all of its clones. Outdated design, outdated ergos, hasn't changed or moved on into the modern world. Imagine an updated one!

Ruger 10/22. Hasn't been updated in forever. We "put up" with the lack of more modern features. I imagine Ruger has some prototypes lying around that would be amazing replacements/updates.

The Ruger 96 lever action series of rifles and the Marlin Camp Carbines.

I understand that the Marlin's were plagued by issues , such as internal workings...and the Ruger 96 series , just didn't sell well.
But both are neat designs in my eye...and if better made in the case of the Marlin and maybe better marketed...might have done better.
Andy

The Gyrojet was a flawed concept from start to finish.
In a conventional firearm the bullet accelerates rapidly until it leaves the muzzle. The Gyrojet projectile accelerates slowly since it is not driven under pressure and continues to accelerate after leaving the gun, going supersonic @ about 1m in front of the gun. Given the glacial lock time and the low velocity of the projectile in the 1st few feet of travel accuracy was on a par with the Brown Bess.
"In 1965, the manufacturer of the pistol claimed 5-mil accuracy (about 17 MOA, or about 4.5 inches at 25 yards), worse than conventional pistols of the time." I think we can assume the manufacturer exaggerated the merits of its product like everybody else.
The Gyrojet offered no advantage over conventional guns, and significant disadvantages.

SIG 227

SIG should have fixed the 14 round mags with a better spring - easy fix

Should have made an all steel version and offered it in .40 and 10mm.

Should have added a .22 LR mag and sold it with the P220 rimfire slide kit.

Should have offered it in the many variations they have for the other classic "P" series pistols; Legion, Elite, etc.

But noooo - they dropped it when it could have been a very good all around multi-caliber pistol.

Lack of vision, all they saw were the $ signs from LE and military contracts for their plastic striker fired guns.

I understand that the Marlin's were plagued by issues , such as internal workings...and the Ruger 96 series , just didn't sell well.
But both are neat designs in my eye...and if better made in the case of the Marlin and maybe better marketed...might have done better.
Andy
Sure glad that Ruger now owns Marlin line so you may actually get your wish!

I'm going to go a different direction, likely an unpopular one as well.

All Glocks that fundamentally have not changed besides minor "Apple iPhone" type changes over the many years. Imagine what they could produce if allowed.

MP5 and all of its clones. Outdated design, outdated ergos, hasn't changed or moved on into the modern world. Imagine an updated one!

Ruger 10/22. Hasn't been updated in forever. We "put up" with the lack of more modern features. I imagine Ruger has some prototypes lying around that would be amazing replacements/updates.
Per the 10/22
The sights alone could be done way better, and would probably reduce costs.

Andy
Haven't had any trigger time with the Ruger 96, but always thought they were neat. The Marlin Camp-45 broke my heart though; light, handy pistol caliber carbine, with wood stock, and fed from 1911 magazines, but was a disaster with execution. I too think with a little more debugging it could have worked great, but Marlin discontinued the line quite a while ago. :(

Haven't had any trigger time with the Ruger 96, but always thought they were neat. The Marlin Camp-45 broke my heart though; light, handy pistol caliber carbine, with wood stock, and fed from 1911 magazines, but was a disaster with execution. I too think with a little more debugging it could have worked great, but Marlin discontinued the line quite a while ago. :(
A friend has a 96/44 and it is very smooth and accurate with the peep sight he has one it.
A neat looking carbine in a potent cartridge for sure.

The Marlin I would love to have..but yep...with "disaster with execution" I wouldn't buy a old one.
One would think that with all the 1911 type pistols out there...a Carbine that took 1911 mags would be available.
( As in one that works....LOL )
Andy

Needs 2011 style mags and support for all the 2011/1911 calibers: 9, 45, 38, 10…

1632075304749.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads