JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For entertainment, I read Guns, American Handgunner, Shooting Times, Gun World, Guns & Ammo and Rifle Shooter. For ad's I read Shotgun News and Gun Digest. For actual reviews, not 4-page ad's purchased by the manufacturer(which is what every afformentioned magazine does. You will never read a bad review in a magazine that has 3 full page ad's purchased by the manufacturer of the gun being reviewed. It's kind of the way our political system works. You can't police those signing your paycheck without bias. It doesn't work.) I read Gun Tests. Gun Tests is a paper magazine that has never had, nor ever will have an advertisement. When they tell you that your Kimber Solo isn't worth the price, they don't have to worry about Kimber pulling that back cover ad we see on so many mag's. I enjoy all of the magazines that I mentioned. If you want unbiased info and fair gun-to-gun comparison's, Gun Test Magazine is where it's at. Also, read any old stuff you can get from Elmer Keith, Jeff Cooper, both of the Skelton's and John Taffin. Good stuff. Kip.

I read Shooting Times and Rifleshooter magazine. Seem to be a minimum of fluff and promotional piece and good reloading and smithing advice and articles. I feel the writing is a bit more real world and enjoy both greatly.

I read Shooting Times and Rifleshooter magazine. Seem to be a minimum of fluff and promotional piece and good reloading and smithing advice and articles. I feel the writing is a bit more real world and enjoy both greatly.

I kind of like a little bit of fluff rather than hardcore facts. Looking at ads from time to time is fun too :)

Thanks for the info, will check it out.

Started with a gift suscription to Guns and Ammo a couple of years ago, so now I subscribe. I also get Shooting Times, and American Handgunner.

I'm just not into long guns, don't know why, so if a mag doesn't have a fair amount on handguns I'm not interested.

Funny you guys mention GUN TESTS. You know how if you order Guns and Ammo that you get advertising for ALL things/magazines/catalogs guns? Well, I've got a demanding letter from a collection agency telling me that I'd better "Pay or Else" for the GUN TESTS that I NEVER ordered! They sent me an issue, and now claim I ordered it!

Mike

I have a subscription to G&A but won't renew it. I cannot take any more 1911/AR15/Kudu hunt/ancient relic gun/overpriced lever rifle/30 cal wonder load and other redundant articles that they have been rehashing for 30 years. There is NOTHING new in the firearm world and hasn't been for a long time.

If you took away all the advertising and complete B.S. from gun magazines, and distilled it down to ONLY the gun related content, what you'd be left with is a gun pamphlet. This is why I do not subscribe to any gun related publications.

Since my tastes run to the "semi-conventional" (not much into the tactical end of things), my current favorite magazines are the Wolfe Publications products, Rifle Magazine and Handloader Magazine. These are also exceptions to the rule where "comparisons and evaluations" are concerned. The authors for these magazines are on a payroll for the magazine (not freelance), and therefore tell it like it is. It is never the case that I do not read EVERY article (even if not toward my interests), as the writing is top notch and skillful, with always something to be learned. Worth every penny spent if one seeks education.

Started with a gift suscription to Guns and Ammo a couple of years ago, so now I subscribe. I also get Shooting Times, and American Handgunner.

I'm just not into long guns, don't know why, so if a mag doesn't have a fair amount on handguns I'm not interested.

Funny you guys mention GUN TESTS. You know how if you order Guns and Ammo that you get advertising for ALL things/magazines/catalogs guns? Well, I've got a demanding letter from a collection agency telling me that I'd better "Pay or Else" for the GUN TESTS that I NEVER ordered! They sent me an issue, and now claim I ordered it!

Mike

Tell them tom show you a signed copy of the order....That shuts them up....

I like handloader.They do a good job writing about some real oddballs and populer calibers.They also do an article on a different powder every new issue.

I pick up a copy of Handloader every once in a while. I don't feel like i am into reloading enough to get a subscription, but i typically look over the new issue and if it has something useful I buy it. I have yet to spend enough to cover a subscription, but I will eventually pick one up.

Tell them tom show you a signed copy of the order....That shuts them up....

Funny you should mention that. There are two phone numbers on the "Early Warning Notice" letter the North Shore Agency sent me. Neither number will put me through to speak with a person. I punch in an extention number at one 866# and get a message saying the ext number is invalid. At the other 866# it gives me the choice to say "YES" to pay a bill, not going to do that.

Flakey bastages!

Mike

I was somewhat disappointed in the (at least two) contributors here who said they do not subscribe to any magazines for the reasons that (paraphrasing here) there is no new information in the firearms field, and/or all gun articles are by default advertisements. I will leave the statement, "there is nothing new in the firearm world, and there hasn't been for a long time" to its own merits.

A purveyor of such might certainly be justified of that opinion if he had not availed himself of information readily available.

Even in a truly "shill" article, patent-paid to promote a firearm new on the market. there can be (and is most often is) some information that is new and useful. I admit, I have canceled my subscriptions to nearly all the "shill" publications (even Shooting Times that I enjoyed, especially articles by Rick Jameson and Jim Wilson and such), but I always found something that I didn't know. I would encourage those of closed minds to open them a bit. Certainly to recognize that indeed, MUCH is new in the firearms world.

I appreciate those who have chimed in with a recognition of Handloader magazine. The Wolfe publication company sometimes I think is operating a charity organization for those of us seeking real and hard information on guns and loading. At the very least it might be a labor of love with some profit involved (that's how it looks when you read an issue).

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top