JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Maybe you should look into the NRA insurance policy for your firearms. At the very least have pictures of the firearms with corresponding serial # in a safe, secure location for future claims (hopefully not). I didn't because my renters insurance covers more than the amount of bubblegum I own, plus all i really care about is the dog. LOL. ^^I too have Allstate and they said the same thing about just to document them, never asked for serial #.^^

Last Edited:
Allstate here as well, I was never asked for serial numbers, nor that i had even documented them. I did have to increase my premium so that the total value was not more than 25% of the policy.

Of course they want the serial numbers and detailed notes and photo's why would they insure something they have no idea how to get back or prove value on should a loss take place.

I'm about to upgrade my insurance on a number of items and I'll list serial numbers identifying marks and take detailed close up photo's. Along with estimated values based on internet sales and current collector value books. The insurance company will have a copy I will keep a hard copy at home as well as in my safe deposit box. a 4th copy will be kept in a secure manor online.

ALMOST ALL HOME OWNERS INSURANCE ONLY COVERS BETWEEN $1000.00 and $2500.00 for firearms TOTAL not per firearm. I have a single rilfe that would take care of that.

Project cars not carring their own insurance are also not covered by your home owners. So if your Hot rod burns with the house your screwed. Best look into comprehensive insurance for any Vehicle or RV on your property.

Think its time to say "Shop around and talk with an agent". In my case I asked if the guns would be covered under "sporting equipment" in my policy. [The agent] had to go off and double check with corporate, but eventually came back with a yes- so long as the combined value was not more than 25% of the total policy- hence the increased policy limit.

Last Edited:
Tell 'em they can suck it! We need to dictate to these places, not the other way around! YOU are paying for the service!

I told our "agent" that we would provide photos and that is all when they asked for the serial #'s. He argued a bit then when I said, nevermind then we will go elsewhere he suddenly changed his tune!

Same with places that insist you come in for appt's during working hours. I work 7-5 so if you want my insurance business, mortgage, retirement fund, etc then you will hang around until I get off work. It's amazing what you can get done with a little abrasive attitude!

When we became foster parents they wanted all the s/n's and a listing of a our guns. My wife told em forget about and they couldnt provide any valid reason for asking for it (other than being nosey) so they dropped it.

Insurers are required to have sn's for firearms or else they can't insure them. They are not allowed to disclose info to anyone so I am not sure why everyone would be so concerned. So what if people had your sn's anyways, if you're not doing anything wrong or you're legally allowed to own a gun then what's it matter? Just my opinion but I'm sure all you survivalist, worlds crashing and govt is coming after my weapons kind of freaks are still going to lose sleep over it anyways lol...

Of course they want the serial numbers and detailed notes and photo's why would they insure something they have no idea how to get back or prove value on should a loss take place.

I'm about to upgrade my insurance on a number of items and I'll list serial numbers identifying marks and take detailed close up photo's. Along with estimated values based on internet sales and current collector value books. The insurance company will have a copy I will keep a hard copy at home as well as in my safe deposit box. a 4th copy will be kept in a secure manor online.

ALMOST ALL HOME OWNERS INSURANCE ONLY COVERS BETWEEN $1000.00 and $2500.00 for firearms TOTAL not per firearm. I have a single rilfe that would take care of that.

Project cars not carring their own insurance are also not covered by your home owners. So if your Hot rod burns with the house your screwed. Best look into comprehensive insurance for any Vehicle or RV on your property.

Amazing what a bit of common sense will do for you. I not only have individual policies for the expensive stuff in my safe, I've got picture & SNs of each item in my safety deposit box at the bank. Peace of mind.

Ya Allstates renters/homeoners covers 2 Grand cumulative without any further coverage. i had to have My AR appraised to bump up the coverage to include it as it put me enough above 3G to where I actually wanted to be covered for it. I have 4 Gs (2 over the given 2Gs). Cant remember how much extra it is a month, but it wasnt bad..As mentioned, Allstate as well. I went with them as they gave me a policy on one of my cars I couldnt find anywhere else... So decided to keep it all in the family.

I too have all my SNs documented on everything ive bought, own and have sold, in addition to pictures... Better to CYA

Yeah, better to just give your DNA to the police too, that way it's easier for them to id your body! Maybe I will just leave my bank acct number out for the store clerks so it's easier to rip me off? Give me a break folks!

Insurers are required to have sn's for firearms or else they can't insure them. They are not allowed to disclose info to anyone so I am not sure why everyone would be so concerned. So what if people had your sn's anyways, if you're not doing anything wrong or you're legally allowed to own a gun then what's it matter? Just my opinion but I'm sure all you survivalist, worlds crashing and govt is coming after my weapons kind of freaks are still going to lose sleep over it anyways lol...

I am an insurance agent and our agency specializes in insuring antiques/collectibles and gun collections. We are not required and do not require serial numbers to insure the guns. You estimate the value of the collection and only list guns worth 5k or more (no serial numbers). We ask information regarding what kind of records you have in case of a loss. The carrier validates the value of the gun (s) at the time of the loss. I reccomend keeping a list and pictures of the guns in safe deposit box or somewhere else away from the home (in case of fire or some other total home loss).

We have been in business since 1966 and started insuring gun collections in the 1990s.

You can also check out:
NRA program through Lockton Risk
Corevens Insurance
Safari Club Internataional program
Eastern Insurance

Thanks for all the info wacky and good!!!
I always have pic's and pic's of the serial # in 2 places on CD and on a flash drive
I understand their position, Fraud is rampant in the USA
After spending some time with the agent (pro gun) She assured me it stayed in house.
I got the coverage all is good.
I did like the lockton risk NRA coverage also

I am an insurance agent and our agency specializes in insuring antiques/collectibles and gun collections. We are not required and do not require serial numbers to insure the guns. You estimate the value of the collection and only list guns worth 5k or more (no serial numbers). We ask information regarding what kind of records you have in case of a loss. The carrier validates the value of the gun (s) at the time of the loss. I reccomend keeping a list and pictures of the guns in safe deposit box or somewhere else away from the home (in case of fire or some other total home loss).

We have been in business since 1966 and started insuring gun collections in the 1990s. Collectibles Insurance - Protecting Books, Stamps, Antiques and other Rare and Vintage collections in Baltimore, Maryland

You can also check out:
NRA program through Lockton Risk
Corevens Insurance
Safari Club Internataional program
Eastern Insurance

Are you in Maryland? Maybe the rules are a little different? Both my insurance agencies will not insure the firearms without sn #'s. Not arguing with you, just stating fact on my end.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top