JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have worked with and known instructors at OFA for several years and can recommend their program/courses without reservation. Facility and content are top notch. At OFA you get truly "big school" (Gunsite/Thunder Ranch) level instruction, at a small down cost and you get to use LEAD ammunition. I have been lucky enough to attend several schools there, including guest instructors Farnham and Clint Smith.

Does he still teach locally in the Portland area? I have not trained with him since the 1990's, but I would surely see him again if he were still training! He is a friendly, very down-to-earth real-world kind of guy, totally unpretentious.

He became an international sales representative and trainer for Crimson Trace Lasergrips and was engaged full time in training law enforcement agencies all over the world. I am grateful that I knew him before he became recognised as a world resoruce!....................elsullo :s0155:

For those who are seeking training in Portland to save some gas and hotel room expense, you might want to check InSights out. It is not often that they come down and offer a two day defensive handgun in the Portland area. You usually have to drive and stay the night somewhere up north if you live in the Portland, Salem, Vancouver regions. Just something I would throw out there... They are offering a Gen. Defensive Handgun Class April 25 & 26 (two day class) at "The Place to Shoot" located in N. Portland. Here are some basics:

InSights General Defensive Handgun Class

Dates: April 25 & 26, 2009
Times: 9:00 AM-7:00 PM (both dates)
Location: The Place to Shoot, 904 N Hayden Meadows Road, Portland, Oregon
Cost: $350.00 (Pre-registration with deposit required)
Pre-Requisites: Conceal Weapons Permit/License or documentation of good character.
Bring: Reliable, functional handgun; belt holster(rigid) with sturdy belt; 600 rounds (min.) of jacketed
ammunition that must be purchased at the facility; 3 magazines or speed loaders; hearing and eye protection.
Enrollment: http://www.insightstraining.com/view_course.asp?courseID=146

Insights provides excellent training and I don't want to take anything away from their course (which incidently I've attended)...however if you want to support a NWF Paying Sponsor you can also attend a one-day OFA Defensive Handgun 1 course at the Tri-County Gun Club in Sherwood, Oregon (Southern Portland) the same weekend! Incidently, successful completion of this course qualifes TCGC members access to the TCGC Action Bay!

Oregon Firearms Academy Defensive Handgun 1

Date: April 25, 2009
Time: 7:30 AM-5:00 PM

Cost: Discounted tuition for TCGC members @ $180.00 ($45 savings) & $225 for Non-Members
(Pre-registration with full payment required)

Pre-Requisites: Concealed Handgun License, LEO ID, or background check provided by OFA Office
Bring: Reliable, functional handgun; belt holster(rigid) with sturdy belt; 350 rounds of ammo which you bring yourself, hearing and eye protection.

Enrollment: http://www.oregonfirearmsacademy.com/schedule.htm

You can contact Vivian, OFA's Office Manager, at 541-451-5532 or [email protected]

I'm delighted to answer questions via email/PM but please direct all registration related inquires to Vivian at our office.

Liberty Training Center based in Salem is relatively new but has several firearms instructors with years of experience in the real world. They also have dedicated classes for self defense and for woman only.

Give them an email or call to help with your training needs.

http://www.libertytraininggroup.com/

The shooting classes are based at Albany Rifle Pistol Club and the self defense classes are based in Salem.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top