JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Curious as to if anyone has experienced anything like this ? Was at a prominent LGS in Tualatin last November trying to trade in a pistol . A police check came up that the pistol had been stolen 15 yrs ago even tho I had owned the pistol for over 30 yrs .Long story short ,the pistol was confiscated and I have spent 7 mos trying to get it back with little to no help from the police . Has anyone had an experience like this with a firearm being incorrectly confiscated ?

Curious as to if anyone has experienced anything like this ? Was at a prominent LGS in Tualatin last November trying to trade in a pistol . A police check came up that the pistol had been stolen 15 yrs ago even tho I had owned the pistol for over 30 yrs .Long story short ,the pistol was confiscated and I have spent 7 mos trying to get it back with little to no help from the police . Has anyone had an experience like this with a firearm being incorrectly confiscated ?
Sadly it sounds like maybe the Serial # was incorrectly entered at one time. So now local Police are pretty much standing there hands tied. They did not, I am assuming put the wrong # in? So they got a call from I am guessing Feds, saying pick up this gun it's stolen. So now they of course are not going to spend all kinds of time trying to fix someone else's mistake sadly. Suspect it may cost far more in legal fee's to really do something than the damn gun is worth.

Sadly it sounds like maybe the Serial # was incorrectly entered at one time. So now local Police are pretty much standing there hands tied. They d Gid not, I am assuming put the wrong # in? So they got a call from I am guessing Feds, saying pick up this gun it's stolen. So now they of course are not going to spend all kinds of time trying to fix someone else's mistake sadly. Suspect it may cost far more in legal fee's to really do something than the damn gun is worth.
Yes , the serial # was in question . Fortunately the gun was an old S&W breaktop of which lgs was going to give me a minimal amt but that doesn't make it right. Coulda been a Kimber or such . OUCH

Yes , the serial # was in question . Fortunately the gun was an old S&W breaktop of which lgs was going to give me a minimal amt but that doesn't make it right. Coulda been a Kimber or such . OUCH
Yes sadly it's you who takes it in the shorts but, you are correct. It could have been far worse. I feel for the local Cops. They don't have the people or time to try to get some paper pushers in the feds to fix this. Chances are that gun will sit in limbo for decades while everyone tries to pretend it's not their problem.

If it was an older gun, possibly even a duplicated serial number. The feds didn't get strict about serial numbering of guns until the GCA in 1968.

Does saving reciepts from LGS help correct this sort of thing? I save my reciepts so I can later cry about how much money I spent on guns over the years.:rolleyes::oops:

Does saving reciepts from LGS help correct this sort of thing? I save my reciepts so I can later cry about how much money I spent on guns over the years.:rolleyes::oops:
I not only keep receipts, but I keep an acquisition/disposition log with make, model, serial number, date, time, location, individual name, ffl details and buy/sell price. It's easy enough to maintain and gives me all the details necessary to trace any firearms that have passed through my hands over the past 3+ decades... Hope I never need it, but it's there should the need arise...

Years ago, I had a Ruger single six I took on trade and asked the local PD to run a check on it. She said it came back stolen years ago, but then said "oh wait, same serial number but the the stolen gun was a Savage Rifle, your good !" there is so much cross-over in serial numbers on guns older than '68.
I think Mausers might be the worst, some countries Mausers only have 4 digits, and when they got to 9999 they just started over again !

What agency took the weapon and gave you a receipt. That is where you start. If no help there a walk in to ATF in PDX. No phone stuff. They should be able to provide you with some answers

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top