JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If I have a concern,I tell the buyer to bring 2 copies of their carry permit and their DL.
Then we both sign and date them.
Oh and include the SN's of the guns.

Mostly I buy and sell with cash and a hand shake.
I did ask the last buyers if they were felons.

do you really think they would say yes if they were :s0002:

I am not usually over concerned, however I am giving this to my son it is a 357 magnum that he paid for and I bought three years ago.He lives with his girlfriend and people come over. I know my son is safe, but if some one got their hands on it I could not be responsible so I need the bill of sale more then him. I think anytime a family member over 21 is involved get papers it saves hardship later on. Just my two cents.

PS sold a gun two weeks ago private party on here, hand shake and we were done !

This is the bill of sale format I use. It did not copy over very neat but the info is what is important: The Bill of Sale title is supposed to be centered and the seller caption is under the other line and that line is over to the right side of the form. Don't have a clue as to why it copied over the way it did. But you get the idea of what information has to be on the form.

BillOf Sale

Soldto____________________________________on this date_________________firearm model________________________serialnumber____________________.Sale Amount____________
I certify as the purchaser that I wouldmeet all the legal requirements to allow me to purchase a firearmfrom a licensed gun dealer in my home state.

______________________________ ______________________________
Purchaser Seller

Accessories Included

There is no requirement for a Bill of Sale, for someone that is purchasing a pistol to be 21 or have a CPL/CHL.

What is required is that the person is a resident of the state the trasaction takes place, and is not a prohibited person. The LAW states that you may NOT KNOWINGLY sell to a non-resident, or a prohibited person. The minimum age for private sale of a handgun is 18, not 21.

There is NO requirement that the purchaser must have a CPL/CHL, there is NO requirement that the weapon go through a licesed dealer, be checked out by the state patrol or any other such as long as both parties are residents of the state where the transaction takes place.

I find you BoS and must have a CPL/CHL guys to be hypocrites...you would all be the first to holler if LE randomly asked you for your CPL/CHL and then siezed your pistol to check it against their database...

You do what makes you comfortable when you sell a weapon, but there are no requirements beyond KNOWINGLY selling to a prohibited person, or a person that is under 18, or not a resident of your state.

Me, I'm a collector, so by definition I only buy and never sell...but should it ever happen that I did need to sell, I would just ask, "are you a prohibited person", or if the person appeared to be very young "how old are you" and that is all. we are "presumed to be innocent until proven guilty", NOT "guilty until proven innocent"

As for your fears as to being responsible for the actions of others...you are not. When you sell a firearm you are no longer responsible for that firearm...no mare than when you sell an automobile, you are no longer responsibile for that car. That has been held up as true by the courts many times.

There is no requirement for a Bill of Sale, for someone that is purchasing a pistol to be 21 or have a CPL/CHL.

What is required is that the person is a resident of the state the trasaction takes place, and is not a prohibited person. The LAW states that you may NOT KNOWINGLY sell to a non-resident, or a prohibited person. The minimum age for private sale of a handgun is 18, not 21.

There is NO requirement that the purchaser must have a CPL/CHL, there is NO requirement that the weapon go through a licesed dealer, be checked out by the state patrol or any other such as long as both parties are residents of the state where the transaction takes place.

I find you BoS and must have a CPL/CHL guys to be hypocrites...you would all be the first to holler if LE randomly asked you for your CPL/CHL and then siezed your pistol to check it against their database...

You do what makes you comfortable when you sell a weapon, but there are no requirements beyond KNOWINGLY selling to a prohibited person, or a person that is under 18, or not a resident of your state.

Me, I'm a collector, so by definition I only buy and never sell...but should it ever happen that I did need to sell, I would just ask, "are you a prohibited person", or if the person appeared to be very young "how old are you" and that is all. we are "presumed to be innocent until proven guilty", NOT "guilty until proven innocent"

As for your fears as to being responsible for the actions of others...you are not. When you sell a firearm you are no longer responsible for that firearm...no mare than when you sell an automobile, you are no longer responsibile for that car. That has been held up as true by the courts many times.

Good points, and I mostly agree. I guess what some people want is *proof* that they sold the gun in case LE comes asking (if the gun is used in a crime, etc).

Good points, and I mostly agree. I guess what some people want is *proof* that they sold the gun in case LE comes asking (if the gun is used in a crime, etc).
Don't know how they would come asking since there is no gun registration. Now, if the gun is reported stolen, the owner who reported it stolen would likely be contacted. But the "proof" fear is quite unfounded UNLESS <tin foil hat on> there is a conspiracy and the background checks being done someone is keeping unauthorized records and then ...<tin foil hat off>. I don't worry about them. If someone insists, I will do it if I really want the gun. But I don't worry about them generally.

Don't know how they would come asking since there is no gun registration. Now, if the gun is reported stolen, the owner who reported it stolen would likely be contacted. But the "proof" fear is quite unfounded UNLESS <tin foil hat on> there is a conspiracy and the background checks being done someone is keeping unauthorized records and then ...<tin foil hat off>. I don't worry about them. If someone insists, I will do it if I really want the gun. But I don't worry about them generally.

The only scenario I can think of is the cops track the gun to you via the chain of sales originating from the FFL through any private sales that kept contact information until they find you, then they ask you who you sold it to. I assume you would be fine if you simply say you sold it and you don't have any information about the buyer.

As for keeping records on background checks, you do know that the Oregon State Police *does* keep a record of all background checks, right? NICS doesn't keep a record, but Oregon State Police do.

EDIT: Records are kept by OSP for 5 years (according to them).

The only scenario I can think of is the cops track the gun to you via the chain of sales originating from the FFL through any private sales that kept contact information until they find you, then they ask you who you sold it to. I assume you would be fine if you simply say you sold it and you don't have any information about the buyer.

As for keeping records on background checks, you do know that the Oregon State Police *does* keep a record of all background checks, right? NICS doesn't keep a record, but Oregon State Police do.

EDIT: Records are kept by OSP for 5 years (according to them).

WA keeps sales records done through licensed dealers also...but so what. I sold the weapon...that is all you need. I don't rememeber his/her name. End of conversation.

This thread makes no sense. It doesn't matter if your selling a car, trailer, couch, or gun. It's just a piece of property that you own.

When was the last time you sold a dining room table (or whatever else) on craigslist AND ask for ID? It's no different than selling a gun.

This thread makes no sense. It doesn't matter if your selling a car, trailer, couch, or gun. It's just a piece of property that you own.

When was the last time you sold a dining room table (or whatever else) on craigslist AND ask for ID? It's no different than selling a gun.

when was the last time you heard of someone using a dining room table to hold someone up :huh:

The bill of sale protects you as the seller and maybe origional purchaser in the event the gun is stolen and used in a crime and the paperwork is tracked back to you. If you have the bill of sale you can show the trail to the new purchaser. Many criminals choose to buy guns on the used market to avoid that trail for some unknown reason.

Same thing with cars. If you sell a car in California, for example, with the plates and the new owner refuses to get new plates or register the title in his/her name you can and will be dragged into court if that car is used in a crime. Prove that its not your car???? Of course the way you prove it is to get a bill of sale and or go into the DMV data base and record the sale/transfer.

So my point, if you don't record the sale or transfer of your gun or car you may be in for a lot of hassle until you can come up with some proof the gun or car has been sold.

Guns are cash deals so there is no money trail. So how do you prove to the DA when he hauls your sorry butt into court that you did not toss that gun into the river after you committed a crime. Ha!! You pull out your Bill of Sale and your are good to go.

Remember, this is not are recorded document. Its only buried in your file cabinet to protect you its not a risk to anyone except someone who is intent on doing evil deeds maybe.

A copy of a bill of sale given to the purchase can protect him/her from a unscruplious seller from selling the gun and then claiming it was stolen to get it back and sell it again. Unlikely, sure but why not do the simple piece of paper and protect all parties.

The bill of sale protects you as the seller and maybe origional purchaser in the event the gun is stolen and used in a crime and the paperwork is tracked back to you. If you have the bill of sale you can show the trail to the new purchaser. Many criminals choose to buy guns on the used market to avoid that trail for some unknown reason.

Same thing with cars. If you sell a car in California, for example, with the plates and the new owner refuses to get new plates or register the title in his/her name you can and will be dragged into court if that car is used in a crime. Prove that its not your car???? Of course the way you prove it is to get a bill of sale and or go into the DMV data base and record the sale/transfer.

So my point, if you don't record the sale or transfer of your gun or car you may be in for a lot of hassle until you can come up with some proof the gun or car has been sold.

Guns are cash deals so there is no money trail. So how do you prove to the DA when he hauls your sorry butt into court that you did not toss that gun into the river after you committed a crime. Ha!! You pull out your Bill of Sale and your are good to go.

Remember, this is not are recorded document. Its only buried in your file cabinet to protect you its not a risk to anyone except someone who is intent on doing evil deeds maybe.

A copy of a bill of sale given to the purchase can protect him/her from a unscruplious seller from selling the gun and then claiming it was stolen to get it back and sell it again. Unlikely, sure but why not do the simple piece of paper and protect all parties.

Please spare me the dramatics. You don't get soley convicted on anything just because you owned something at some point. If you sell your car and someone does a hit and run you don't get convicted for it. You didn't do it, simple as that. Same as if someone shot someone with a gun you previousally owned.

As far as paper trail, yeah there is one. If police showed up at my door wanting info about a gun I sold used in a crime i would tell them I sold it sometime ago. If I had info then fine. But if I didn't then oh well. It's not my responsibly to do law enforcements job or keep a track of what and when I sold said gun. Then wanna try to strong-arm and bully me into anything then that's when they get my front door slammed in their face. Again, simple as that!

Please spare me the dramatics. You don't get soley convicted on anything just because you owned something at some point. If you sell your car and someone does a hit and run you don't get convicted for it. You didn't do it, simple as that. Same as if someone shot someone with a gun you previousally owned.

As far as paper trail, yeah there is one. If police showed up at my door wanting info about a gun I sold used in a crime i would tell them I sold it sometime ago. If I had info then fine. But if I didn't then oh well. It's not my responsibly to do law enforcements job or keep a track of what and when I sold said gun. Then wanna try to strong-arm and bully me into anything then that's when they get my front door slammed in their face. Again, simple as that!

bet there a bunch of bg's going to use that one :s0114: yea i owned it but sold it

[/COLOR]
when was the last time you heard of someone using a dining room table to hold someone up :huh:
You dont think people have been bludgeoned to death with baseball bats, golf clubs, tire irons etc.? The point is, its an inanimate object subject only to the whims of its user. To apply any diabolical value to an inanimate object, weather it be a table or a firearm, is submitting your will to the programming being dished out by the media.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top