Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Firearms at campgrounds

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by jfort, Jun 30, 2010.

1. jfort

jfort Salem Member

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me out. Will be at a BLM campground over the Fourth. As a CCL holder, are there restrictions against my ability to carry a firearm, or even have one in the campground? Any help appreciated, thanks.

2. Gunner69

Gunner69 Hillsboro Member

Not sure about BLM camgrounds but I know that both at Ft. Stevens and Silver Falls they have changed the wording on their signs from where it used to read that it was "Illegal to possess" to "It's illegal to discharge". In both cases all they did was place a sticker over the old wording rather than having a whole new sign put up. Again those are State parks not BLM so YMMV

3. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

what sign?

Concealed is concealed. The old saying: "I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6" holds true!

4. Taurus 617 CCW

Taurus 617 CCW Northern Idaho Member

I always take some sort of gun when going camping. AFAIK, it's up to the state you reside in to determine if it's legal. In my previous state, Oregon, BLM land was prime shooting territory.

5. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

+1

If it's concealed no one knows, Right?

I carry a NAA Super Companion all the time.

6. theorren

theorren Medford Member

IIRC BLM is Federal land, (if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will come along and correct me) being that it's Federal owned, you are allowed to carry. Just as you are allowed on any Federal land (minus govt. buildings and other restricted sites).

quote from BLM site: "BLM one of the top revenue-generating agencies in the Federal government."

If you're unsure, you can call BLM and ask ...here's a link to the site.

Personally, I don't worry too much about carrying, I do it concealed. I would probably worry it if it was a privately owned campground.

Here's a link to the law that passed for National parks (measure 279-147) which in the artilce states that people are allowed to carry in National Parks just as they are on Federal lands.

link1(MSNBC)

"Hastings and other Republicans said the bill merely aligns national parks and wildlife refuges with regulations governing the national forests and property controlled by the Bureau of Land Management."

Hope that helps.Have fun camping!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  7. chemist

chemist Beaverton OR Well-Known Member

8. SICARIO

SICARIO Oregon City Active Member

You are good to go:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/oregon.pdf

From Page 4 (BLM Land is not a problem):

Carry In State Parks/State & National Forests/WMA/Road
    Side Rest Areas
    Carry Allowed in these Areas:
    State Parks: YES Admin Rule736-010-0040
    State/National Forests: YES Per OR Dept of Forestry
    WMA’s: YES Per OR Dept of Forestry
    Road Side Rest Areas: YES 166.37

9. pease

pease Stayton Member

thats the way I feel

10. phathom

phathom Vancouver, WA Member

Anything on parks/campgrounds in washington? I have my washington CPL and am heading up camping this weekend. I think the place is owned by the power company up there or something like that. I don't ever remember seeing any signs against it, but then again I wasn't paying attention because I wasn't carrying back then.

11. DERGLOCKINMEISTER

DERGLOCKINMEISTER SPRINGFIELD OREGON Member

Concealed means hidden from the view of others . The only people that should be aware of your armed status should be the folks you want to protect and in the most extreme situation , the unfortunate idiot that made it necessary for you to protect them .

12. Rik

Rik Beaverton Member

An exception I found this last weekend was at Kah-Ne-Tah camping. That was because it is an Indian Reservation. :( For some reason they must have a problem with white guys with guns... :paranoid:

13. LibertyorDeath

LibertyorDeath Western Washington Member

Keep in mind any structures on those lands are prohibited due to being Federal buildings.

14. phathom

phathom Vancouver, WA Member

I was asking because typically I open carry. Wanted to make sure it was legal to have it there or not.

15. m1gunr

m1gunr Tacoma Member

You may carry CC or OC in any park in Washington State. Washington has preempted all firearms laws regarding possession. You may carry in any city, county, state, National Forest or National Park in Washington State (National Parks are under Federal Control however, you cannot carry in a building even though there is an exemption in the USC).
    RCW 9.41.050 covers concealed carry in Washington. RCW 9.41.060 covers the exemptions (see specifically section 8) on having a CPL.
    (8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area.

As far as National Forests in Oregon and Washington I have a letter from the Regional Forrester covering weapons in a National Forest. You can download a copy here:
    http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;id=41