JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
When I signed up with my policy through Liberty Mutual, I was told that while there is a limit on firearms, they are still covered under the general property "umbrella".

I went to verify that today and found out otherwise. Well, it depends on who I talked to....But if you believe some of them, they (firearms and accessories) are only covered under general property in the event of loss for perils that my home is covered under such as fire, earthquake, etc. For theft there is only a 2K coverage (and a $1,000 deductible!).

I can of course raise that for a fee but I'm generally unhappy with my insurance company because they have a 20% deductible for earthquake coverage, and most places I got quotes from only have 5% deductible. But some of them have strict or vague proof of ownership requirements. Some demand receipts for everything (who has that) and others say it's not black and white, they decide when the adjuster looks at a claim.

Hmmmm...I don't know about you, but I don't want to pad the pockets of an insurance company and HOPE that if I ever have to file a claim that I'm protected. Most I've talked to accept photos and video as proof.

So I'm curious who you guys are insured through and how you like them. Some things I'm looking at are:

-Earthquake deductible. 5% seems to be common, though my current insurer is at 20% :-(

-Firearms coverage in the case of theft, fire, earthquake, etc. I don't like the 2K limits, but most I spoke with had this limit for THEFT while they were all covered up to you general property maximum in the event of loss of your home.

-Proof of ownership/inventory of personal property. No, I will not be providing serial numbers or quantities of anything to anyone. I will take photos and video for proof of ownership/inventory and if I ever have to file a claim I will submit them, but not before.

Please let me know who you are insured through that has good coverages/policies in the above categories. I'm not concerned with the cheapest price. I'd rather pay more and have the peace of mind knowing that I'm covered if I ever have to file a claim, rather than save a few hundred bucks and hope/pray that they smile down on me and replace my posessions...

I have USAA insurance and I was able to by a Valuable Personal Property policy for an extra 350.00 per year that covers fire arms at all times in my home or car while camping for 10k worth of loss. I don't know if all insurance companies offer this but they may. I had to provide all SN to them and to collect they must have been destoryed or stolen with a police report. My reg home owners did not cover much at all like yours.

I have State Farm. They cover up to $5000 replacement value on firearms in the normal fire and theft homeowners policy. Deductable is the same as what you purchased for everything else. Everything on the policy is replacement value rather than what you paid.

Basically what you have run into is an Insurance Rider. And for an Insurance Rider they need proof of ownership prior to coverage. This is like high end jewelry, art work, rare cards, comics books, baseball cards, etc.

They do it to prevent fraud of course. As far as I know (please someone correct me if I'm wrong), they are not allowed to share your records without a court order. I know many companies require a Make, Model, and S/N of each firearm so you are covered. It isn't a bad idea to have this information anyway.

I understand the thought about sharing that information, but to get coverage those are the normal rules. I current have one insurance company which I liked, but I'm on the market for another currently. So no guidance on good ones out there.

I have a policy I obtained through the NRA Endorsed Property & Casualty Insurance Program a few years ago. The company that it is with is Lockton Risk Services, Inc. It is called ArmsCare Plus Voluntary Excess Firearms (Excess of any other coverage/subject to $100 deductible), $10000 Unscheduled Property limit. It has held at $189($174 +$15 Admin. fee) for the past few years. I just have regular off the shelf firearms, nothing unique, custom, or very valuable, so no make, model, S/N has been needed.

I have a rider for all my guns added onto my homeowner's policy. I think the total cost was something on the order of $100 per year and covers current (at the time of the loss) replacement cost of all the guns. Your homeowner's insurance should offer the same thing. If they don't, I'd switch to another company.

The cheapest firearm I own would cost me $400 to replace to replace them all...I don't even want to think about it.

I had looked into the armscare with the NRA but their premium is almost as much as my homeowners insurance. It is kind of nice that I don't own any single firearms that would cause them to require an appraisal or schedule. But the premium is a bit hard to swallow.

Most of what I have is actually ammo and mags. That stuff get's expensive over time, I mean a case of 9mm is going for $400 right now, and I bought most of mine when it was $100 a case...Coudn't store anywhere near what I have in a gun safe...

My renter's insurance covers up to $2500 in firearms from damage/theft from the home. I called them and they offered a program with comprehensive coverage (damage or loss while hunting/camping/etc.) and potential increased coverage amount. The rate was reasonable, but they require serial numbers up front. No thank you.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top