JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So here is a question to all the folks here at NWFA. A friend of mine told me the other day that the apartment complex he lives in does not allow any firearms at the complex period. Is this the right of the complex? I can understand not allowing firearms in the common areas but restricting your right to bear arms in your personal residence? That seems a little much. Just curious if anyone has experience with this or knows the rights of apartment complexes. Also what about CCW? Is a holder of a CPL also restricted from concealed carry on these premises? By the way, this is in Washington State. I look forward to your input. Thank you.

Dennis

Owners can request you not bring firearms into your own apartment but you dont have to listen to their request. If you have to defend someone and its a lawful shooting the only thing the owner can do is force you to move. Otherwise they'll never know you have firearms

Well im glad my landlord is a horse wrangling cowgirl soccer mom. She knows i have a firearm and she is just fine with it. And my good friend upstairs has way more than i do.

I think she actually likes having us around we do live in a low income area.

This is pure discrimination, like not renting to a person because of race or religion and is a crime. Even the fed has tried doing this in the projects and has been overruled buy the courts. Sounds like your friend could sue and possibly become the new owner of the apartment building, or at least get a big payday from the owner.

This is pure discrimination, like not renting to a person because of race or religion and is a crime. Even the fed has tried doing this in the projects and has been overruled buy the courts. Sounds like your friend could sue and possibly become the new owner of the apartment building, or at least get a big payday from the owner.

There's a big difference between PRIVATE and PUBLIC property. Look at all the Business that say NO GUNS. Can you SUE them for Discrimination. If it's your Private Property you have full control over it unless there is a LAW that Specifically says different.

There's a big difference between PRIVATE and PUBLIC property. Look at all the Business that say NO GUNS. Can you SUE them for Discrimination. If it's your Private Property you have full control over it unless there is a LAW that Specifically says different.

Sorry, the is a big difference between your personal private property and is not open to the public, and private property that is open to the public. A business owners property that he has opened to the public, can be, and is very regulated as to who that business owner can exclude, and who they must allow on their property.

Get it out of you head that property that is open to the public is the same as your home when it comes to governmental control. There are not the same. Look up, and read, the Americans with Disabilities Act...pay particular attention to busness and places of public accomidation.

appt managers can make any rule as long as it is in lease you sign no pets,no smoking,55 and older,no guns,no high risk dogs(shepard,rott,pit,dobie,)about 10 years ago befor i bought my house i was told i couldnt rent a place cause the guy didnt know what a ridgeback was thought it look like it might be part pit

Not true in the case of guns. Heller says you have a RIGHT to have arms in your Abode. When you lease an appartment, it becomes your (leased) property within the term of the lease. You have no obligation to accept a restrictive lease, you just line out the offensive section, initial and date, and have the landlord initial and date, buth his copy and yours. If he won't, you just to lease that appartment...it is a buyers/renters market right now...not like there are no appartments/houses available.

If you have a lease, and it is for 1 year, they cannot change the terms within that year, even if the building is sold. Make sure that you have lined through any restriction you don't like...then you won't have to go to court to push for your rights.

BTW: rental law is very restrictive on what you can and cannot do as a landlord. Don't ever think they have the upper hand. For WA it is HERE: Chapter 59.18 RCW: RESIDENTIAL LANDLORD-TENANT ACT

You are dealing with 2 VERY different things as hermannr states below.

According to what you posted here I would be able to legally I could put "no black renters" and I would be perfectly legal. How about "no handicap"? Well it is "private property" see how far that gets you............

Apartments I previously lived at stated simply that firearms must be locked and kept away from children. (duh) I'm sure that was there for legal reasons.

WHILE that was stated I always kept everything in a safe anyway because:
.... I cannot count how many times I would walk THROUGH the parking lot holding a gun in each hand and one on my hip while getting ready to go out to the range.

Odd.. now that I reflect upon that nobody ever said anything to me while I was transporting them back and forth across the parking lot. Actually nobody ever really came to my door to greet us.....

oh well.

as long as it's not clearly posted that it's an anti-firearm property, fair game to me.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top