JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What is the current state of affairs for hand gun transfers since I-1639? On a person to person transfer does the FFL take possession of the the gun until the waiting period is done? Has this raised the price of the fee charged? Who in the Vancouver area has the best price for a transfer. The place I used to use before 1639 upped their fee by 33% shortly before the law went into effect. I haven't purchased any handguns since before 1639.

The only FFL (with a reasonable fee, $25) I know of that will hold a gun while BRC clears is NW Custom Firearms.
RW Pawn ($20) and Tropics ($29) will not hold. Tropics did up the fee and requires appt.
I don't know if Sporting.Systems will hold, but I do know their fee is $50.
Safe Fire will not hold and has a $40 fee for non members.
CC Gunsmithing is now by appt only, has increased fees, and will collect value tax.
All semi auto rifles now have an additional sin tax of approx $18-25 anywhere.
Only way out of that is to buy/transfer a lower, and that ends 7-2020.

Last Edited:
What is the current state of affairs for hand gun transfers since I-1639? On a person to person transfer does the FFL take possession of the the gun until the waiting period is done? Has this raised the price of the fee charged? Who in the Vancouver area has the best price for a transfer. The place I used to use before 1639 upped their fee by 33% shortly before the law went into effect. I haven't purchased any handguns since before 1639.
It's a real PITA any more. All you can do is stop in and or call the locals. See what they will do and for how much. The one big problem now is it often takes far more than the 10 buis. days too. There is a couple places up my way that will sell on consignment. The one I go to all the time said 10% up to 1K. If I sell any now this is the way I will go. If you can't find any down your way to do it easier see if they will just sell for you.

The current state of affairs over handguns is due to the FBI, after several years of warning the State of Washington, finally stopped doing courtesy BGCs and required the state to use their local resources. This new reality we now face (waiting times) would have happened even if I-1639 had failed.

It was just coincidental that the start date for both issues happened on the same day.

I bring this up because there is a movement afoot to repeal I-1639 (you all have signed the recall petition right???). If this is successful we still will have the handgun wait issue in place. As shooters we need to pressure our legislators to either fund the BGC systems to the level that checks can be instant or reinstate the waiver for CPL holders. We should not lose sight of one over the other … we need to be pressing forward on both!

Last Edited:
So... if you buy a gun from an individual/private party and the FFL doesn't want to hold the gun for 10 days does the seller retain possession of gun until the waiting period is over or what?

So... if you buy a gun from an individual/private party and the FFL doesn't want to hold the gun for 10 days does the seller retain possession of gun until the waiting period is over or what?

Can't possibly imagine that would occur.

Firearm would be recorded in the FFL's bound book & in the FFL's possession until the transfer were complete. Or transferred back to the seller (same legalities would apply), in the event of a buyer background check failure.

"CC Gunsmithing is now by appt only, has increased fees, and will collect value tax.
Value tax???? What is this? Before there was no sales tax charged on person to person sales. Is this a different type of tax?

The last time I sold one this is how it was done. Buyer and I met, he got a Delayed, so the shop he chose sent us both on our way with me still with my gun. So it would be the same if I was to sell a Hand gun now I would have to guess. On that gun the shop contacted the buyer a couple days later, told him they now had the Proceed, so buyer contacted me and both of us went back to the shop. The new wait should be no different and the way it's going now it's very often far more than 10 days for hand guns. I would have to guess some shops will take the gun in and hold it. When this new law went in (that all sales had to go through an FFL) I heard some saying they had FFL's who did just that. Let the seller take his money and walk. Then buyer had to wait till shop got the Proceed to take his gun. To do this the Shop of course has to be liable for the firearm while they are waiting for the Proceed which for a handgun is now often several weeks.
This is one of those things buyer and seller of course need to find out up front before starting the who mess now. Same for the buyer asking, "so if at the end of the 10 Buis. days if you do not have a Proceed from my CLEO, do I get to walk with my gun, or do you make me wait till you get the Proceed no matter how long it takes?". This too is often found out the hard way. Some FFL's will let the gun walk. Many say no, the gun does not walk until they get the Proceed from the CLEO. Often buyers are now mad, so time to make sure of this is before you start and money changes hands.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top