JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi guys,

Recently in my local there has been a rash of B&E and theft. I live in a relatively private area, so I haven't been terribly concerned. However, a couple very close, very recent issues have raised some concerns.

At the present, I have photographs and personal documents regarding serial numbers, and my collection is stowed away in a bolted down safe. However, I often take extended trips away from my home, leaving ample opportunity for thieves to strike. Other than the precautions I have taken, what else can I do to ensure that any stolen items are returned to me with the least amount of hassle?

Are my personal photographs and lists of serial numbers enough to facilitate the expedient return of any items removed without authorization? Or are there further legal steps I can take?

Thanks!

Even with photos and serial numbers if they are stolen they have to be found before those things can help. There is nothing that can help with your guns being found other then not having them missing in the first place.

If you have a cheep safe get a better one. If you have someone that can stop by the house and check it out every few days that is good. Another option might be is an alarm system for the house.

Oh yes, I am aware they must be found to be returned. I am thinking of the ideal theft scenario where the stolen items in question are found at a later date.

I do have a friend stop by and water the plants/feed the animals when Im going to be gone for a bit, as well as inform some friendly neighbors that I'll be out. However, when the crackheads do finally breach in my absence, I would like to have all my ducks in a row. Proper Planning Prohibits/Prevents a Poor Performance! An alarm, unfortunately, is a bit outside of practical.

Whee. Claymores! If you have a few extra, you can send them to me. Im fresh out..

An alarm, unfortunately, is a bit outside of practical.

Not sure why you say that it is not practical. Many homes have security systems in them. Here is one example that cost about $400 to install and about $40/mo to monitor, Home Security Systems, Burglar Alarms - ADT

I guess it just depends on how much stuff you are trying to protect and how much it is worth to protect it. If you have 2-3 guns worth $1000-$2000 probably not worth it. If you have a dozen guns worth close to $10k it might be worth it.........

Again was just a thought.

I suppose 'impractical' maybe a bit of a stretch, but not alot.

Because of where I live and my local LEO's work load, response time for any legal authorities (let alone corporate rent a cops) in my area would pretty much negate having an alarm. A neighbor may hear and come to investigae, but thats a long shot. It is definitely something to think about though. Perhaps some research may turn up a viable alarm option.. Some sort of CCTV maybe of help in recovery, I suppose.

Honestly, if someone is going to break into your house, they are going to succeed.

Best bet is to make your house as much of a PITA as you can but I'd still rig up some game cameras outside and some nanny cams inside.

If you've never seen the Discovery Channel show It Takes a Thief you should. <broken link removed>

Very enlightening.

-d

We have a modest security system that monitors all doors and windows and has panic alarms in three rooms. It includes an immediate inside alarm and an outside alarm that engages 30 seconds later. It is extremely loud.

On top of that we have six security camera around the exterior of the house that record to a hidden DVR in the attic. Cameras are a great deterent and investment. I think we got our system for around $700 and it is more than adequate. You can see one in the pic below. I just took it and it is a bit dark outside but you can get the idea.

The biggest defense we have against theft though is insurance. It is the only surefire way to make sure you do not end up losing everything.

Still, I take the time to make every theft as time consuming and difficult as possible. I bolt things down, look drawers, hide stuff, etc.

cameras.jpg

It seems that nobody read the question part of your post

what else can I do to ensure that any stolen items are returned to me with the least amount of hassle?

I can't really help because I did the same as you with a spread sheet of info and some pics.

Your best bet would be to ask some one who has had to deal with trying to get stolen guns back from the police

My sugestion would be ask an insurance agent who has been through it because lets face it if they can help you get them back then they don't have to pay

I would consider keeping your home inventory / gun collection inventory info in a safe deposit box or store at a trusted friend/family member's house - complete with pics of every room in the house and specific pics of everything that is likely to be stolen.

Also - I know its not much coverage in the $ department, but I believe any NRA membership will provide up to $2,500 insurance of guns/archery equipment. You may also want to consider a rider policy or umbrella policy on your homeowner's /renter's insurance. I believe that the umbrella policy covering up to $1million was costing me about $300 / year and was largely offset by changing the coverage on my auto insurance as they were also included under the umbrella. It also reduces the odds that you will be personally sued in an auto accident that turns out to be your fault with injury or (depending on policy so talk to your insurance agent first) in the case of a self defense shooting on your property. Most will take the insurance settlement of up to $1 million rather than going through with a law suit and attaching your wages trying for more and getting a fairly small monthly payment.

I would consider keeping your home inventory / gun collection inventory info in a safe deposit box or store at a trusted friend/family member's house - complete with pics of every room in the house and specific pics of everything that is likely to be stolen.

Also - I know its not much coverage in the $ department, but I believe any NRA membership will provide up to $2,500 insurance of guns/archery equipment. You may also want to consider a rider policy or umbrella policy on your homeowner's /renter's insurance. I believe that the umbrella policy covering up to $1million was costing me about $300 / year and was largely offset by changing the coverage on my auto insurance as they were also included under the umbrella. It also reduces the odds that you will be personally sued in an auto accident that turns out to be your fault with injury or (depending on policy so talk to your insurance agent first) in the case of a self defense shooting on your property. Most will take the insurance settlement of up to $1 million rather than going through with a law suit and attaching your wages trying for more and getting a fairly small monthly payment.
Just keep your pics and a scanned list of your serial numbers uploaded to a private album on a web photo hosting site. The internet never burns down and you can retrieve the info immediately from anywhere.

PS: The NRA insurance is a HUGE rip off. It will cost you multiple times what just adding a rider to your home owners would cost you. I pay an extra $5 or $6 a month for an additional $25,000 of coverage.

Just keep your pics and a scanned list of your serial numbers uploaded to a private album on a web photo hosting site. The internet never burns down and you can retrieve the info immediately from anywhere.

PS: The NRA insurance is a HUGE rip off. It will cost you multiple times what just adding a rider to your home owners would cost you. I pay an extra $5 or $6 a month for an additional $25,000 of coverage.

I agree that the insurance rider is a better option - I was just saying that if you have a basic NRA membership it comes with a $2,500 insurance policy on your guns/archery equipment. Not sure how well they pay off or if it only kicks in after your other policies are done paying out, etc. not to mention it wouldn't be enough to replace even most small collections. Still - it would be something worth remembering as it might cover the deductible on your other policy.

I take the cylinders out of my revolvers (single action), slides off my semi-autos, bolts out of my rifles, and even the triggering mechanisms if that works best for that rifle. These are all smallest component items and stow them in a different location. It will be obvious to the crook they won't work. Hopefully they will pass on taking what they find. And if not, well the chances of showing up later seem better and they will never be used in a crime. My glock in a pocket is always ready to go as well as another revolver I also carry. My double barrel? That might be the only one I need to worry about the most.

Even if the response time is slow for a home alarm in your area, there is still a good chance the noise will make the thief leave. Some of the newer ones let you monitor them from a smartphone too, so there would be added peace of mind while you are away.

I often take extended trips away from my home, leaving ample opportunity for thieves to strike.

Thanks!

Address please? I'll watch the house for you for free. I will take good care of the house for no payment at all. I will even do a full service for your guns, I will inspect, clean and function check each and every one of them several times using your own ammunition to verify all your rounds fire correctly.
When you return, I will leave you a report on how each of them functioned, and which ammunition functioned best so you may restock your supply in full confidence that you made a wise purchase. :D:s0112:;)

In all seriousness, a good safe, possibly 2, 1 big 1 little that's hidden. The idea of dismantling them when you leave and putting essential parts locked away in another area than the frames is a great one. It's kind of like keeping the faceplate off your stereo, because thieves know it will cost almost as much as buying the gun or be more than they could sell it for to get the parts to make it function.
That and if you can afford it, a house alarm would be a good idea, that way even if you aren't home, there may be a chance that they can catch them or at least scare them off before they take anything while you are out.

PlayboyPenguin gave very good advice. We have a safe, an 8 camera security system, have recorded all serial numbers, and good homeowners insurance. My wife and I just returned from two weeks on Yuma, while there I began to worry, I called my insurance local office and the lady said "Enjoy your vacation, your (large number of firearms) are covered, you don't need to worry.

I told her I had the serial #'s recorded for the quantity of firearms, she really acted as if she hadn't ever heard of any one person owning so many guns. "We'll keep the info about all your guns secret" she said. Haha. She must think I'm a nut job.

Whee. Claymores! If you have a few extra, you can send them to me. Im fresh out..

get them at any gun show according to the Mexican Gov't and our politicians!!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Trade Rating" is low by 3
Not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

The problem with serial numbers can be that there are duplicates so when a gun if found, it can take time to see who's it really is. Try puttin on an additional number, LE calls it an OAN (Owner Applied Number), somthing that is specifically unique to you. But like the others said, they have to be found first.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top