JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Tie between the 10/22 we'd plink with, or the old BB gun that might have been used to sting stray dogs in the butt as they roamed the neighborhood causing trouble.

1928 Colt "The Woodsman" that dad bought at Warshall's in Seattle in 1948 for the princely sum of $24.50.

EDIT: Found a pic.

Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 11.43.21 AM.png

Last Edited:
The old man favored his 8mm VZ-24 sporter, I'll be keeping it forever. He did the work himself, adding Lyman sights HIS dad bought in '47 (but never installed on anything).

It just reminds me of him, a bit too much. I've never shot it, not since he passed. I don't know if I ever will again.

Enfield No. 5 Mk I, aka "Jungle Carbine". Dad brought it home from Europe following his service, post war.
No idea how he acquired it there.
Picture from Wikipedia, as it was stolen in a robbery in ~'74.

View attachment 978124
The only place in Europe that the No5 could be found was in Norway for a very short period between the cessation of hostilities in Europe and the Japanese Surrender. Airborne troops heading for the Far East were briefly shipped to Norway to oversee the German surrender with the Norwegians.

How your dad got it must remain a mystery.

Browning Nomad 22LR pistol. Dad bought it for me in 1971 for high school graduation. Still have it and it's like new. I will pass it down to one of my sons when my time comes.

Absolutely none. My dad was/is an a-hole. Don't worry, the abuse cycle stops with me and my daughter is definitely being taught to shoot. Her interests will form her memory - I'll guess it'll be a 10/22.

This is an easy one. When I was 12 years old, I was packing a Winchester 92 in .32-20 while hunting blacktail deer with Dad. We spotted a buck way over yonder and the Winchester was worthless at that range. We found a stump and used our coats to make a solid rest. Then he loaned me his .25-06 built on a Mauser action. I was familiar with that rifle and managed to get two bullets (out of five) behind that deer's shoulder. Dad had no business in letting me shoot at that deer from such a distance, but he wanted me to get him awfully badly. October will be the tenth anniversary of Dad's passing. So, I'm putting my bow down this year and chasing blacktails with the Mauser that I used to take my first buck 48 years ago.

It's the top rifle with the thumbhole stock in the photo.

IMG_7617.JPG

.243 Winchesters. Top is one my dad built for his dad in the early '60s from a Herter's barreled action and a walnut stock blank. Bottom is dad's .243 Model 70. I inherited both when dad passed away.
243-3.JPG

Last Edited:
Browning Nomad 22LR pistol. Dad bought it for me in 1971 for high school graduation. Still have it and it's like new. I will pass it down to one of my sons when my time comes.
I have a Nomad too.. been in the family for a long time. LOVE that shootah.

The only place in Europe that the No5 could be found was in Norway for a very short period between the cessation of hostilities in Europe and the Japanese Surrender. Airborne troops heading for the Far East were briefly shipped to Norway to oversee the German surrender with the Norwegians.

How your dad got it must remain a mystery.
You called me out on that the last time I mentioned it. Then I researched, and learned that it was a late war design, and probably very rare in Europe.
Never saw him shoot it, and I doubt he had ammo for it.
When I asked, his comment was, "I don't remember." He was 90, so I didn't press.
It is a mystery. Just the same, it's always been a gun I have associated with him.

Since it is the day we honor our fathers, I thought this might be an interesting "trip down memory lane" thread. Is there a firearm that brings back memories of your father? Say his favorite hunting rifle, or a firearm brought when teaching to shoot or hunt, or an heirloom passed down, etc.

Enjoy. :)
Easy. My Cooey Canuck single-shot bolt-action .22LR. My dad put it in my hands 43 years ago under the watchful eye of my grandpa, his father, and I never looked back.

I still have it, sadly the bolt fell apart several years ago and I have not been able to find a replacement. But it is a treasured family keepsake.

You called me out on that the last time I mentioned it. Then I researched, and learned that it was a late war design, and probably very rare in Europe.
Never saw him shoot it, and I doubt he had ammo for it.
When I asked, his comment was, "I don't remember." He was 90, so I didn't press.
It is a mystery. Just the same, it's always been a gun I have associated with him.
Well, I did say that the No5 rifle was specifically designed for use in the jungles of Burma, et al. The sole issue in Europe was, as I noted, to British Airborne troops waiting to go to the Far East to fight the Japanese. They were temporarily used to bolster the Norwegian Armed Forces handling the German surrender in Norway. TMK there were no US armed forces in Norway at that time.

Experience of jungle fighting in 1943 identified that mobility was critical and to that end the weight of equipment carried by the individual soldier needed to be reduced. The requirement for a rifle was a "light handy weapon with good accuracy to 400 yards [370 m]".

The first tests of the rifles took place in 1944 during which a flash hider was added. The rifle was officially introduced into service in September 1944 with 20,000 produced; by end of 1944 50,000 had been accepted for service.

It saw a deal of use during the Malayan Emergency of '47 - '49, but again TMK, none were released for sale to the public - anywhere - until the early 1960's.

Winchester model 1895 deluxe rifle 30-40krag
Winchester model 55 semi auto single shot .22
Winchester model 71 deluxe rifle .348win
Ruger Bearcat .22 revolver
Inland M1 Carbine .30M1

Well, I did say that the No5 rifle was specifically designed for use in the jungles of Burma, et al. The sole issue in Europe was, as I noted, to British Airborne troops waiting to go to the Far East to fight the Japanese. They were temporarily used to bolster the Norwegian Armed Forces handling the German surrender in Norway. TMK there were no US armed forces in Norway at that time.
My dad was in Germany after VJ Day. He never talked much about it.

I have the Ruger Blackhawk 44 mag my grandfather used to (finally) kill the grizzly that charged him with some rifle rounds already in him. The griz died as it fell on him and they both tumbled down a cliff together. I also have the BAR .338 win mag he bought as soon as he got out of the hospital :)

I have the Ruger Blackhawk 44 mag my grandfather used to (finally) kill the grizzly that charged him with some rifle rounds already in him. The griz died as it fell on him and they both tumbled down a cliff together. I also have the BAR .338 win mag he bought as soon as he got out of the hospital :)
What were the rifle rounds?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads