JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Since it is the day we honor our fathers, I thought this might be an interesting "trip down memory lane" thread. Is there a firearm that brings back memories of your father? Say his favorite hunting rifle, or a firearm brought when teaching to shoot or hunt, or an heirloom passed down, etc.

Enjoy. :)

Probably my dad's 'duffel bag' Victory Model S & W I inherited and learned to shoot with.

SampW-1 (1).jpg

Probably my first rifle. A Marlin 783 .22 magnum I/Dad purchased new from Bob Kennedys in Medford back in 77. I think it was $79. I put it on lay a way, then for Christmas of that year Dad paid it off and brought it out after the presents under the tree had been opened.

Ruger Single Six. Dad never did own many firearms but that one went on just about every trip to the woods. I can recall it being used a time or two when problem folks were around and it's presence diffused possibly bad events. Mostly though it was target practice and proof of a trout's size when the camera came out. I asked Dad if he ever felt under gunned and he replied that caliber doesn't matter as long as you can make the other bastard understand he will bleed if the nonsense doesn't stop.

My Dad had an old Remington 510 bolt action 22, it shot shorts to lr shells. I learned gun safety and to shoot accurately with that rifle and was specifically told that if I killed anything with it then I should be willing to eat it…

I miss you Dad.

Colt 1911
Ruger GP100

These are the two guns my dad liked best. In his later years he leaned way more towards the GP and wheel guns in general.

This is my first Fathers Day without my father.

Roscoe... his nickle plated Chief's Special.

Dad wasn't/isn't really a gun-guy. Once, on an undercover assignment, he decided to carry Roscoe in an ankle holster. No internet back then to just order one up, so he made due with his regular off-duty IWB holster and tried strapping it to his calf with several VERY thick rubber bands. He's pretty hairy so getting it on sucked. After about 5 minutes of circulation loss he decided that it was, in fact, a TERRIBLE idea... getting that contraption offa his hairy leg had everyone in the house trying not to laugh hysterically, including him.
Probably took a good 6 months for all the hair that got yanked out to grow back.

Ha, mine too.. and a High Standard double nine with stag grips.
And that 740 shot like sheet.
He had a Redfield 3x9 post and cross hair on it all mounted in a Pachmayr flip-down mount.
The scope mount probably contributed to the inaccuracy of that rifle.
Well, minute-of-deer accuracy good enough for close shots in the Vermont woods.

After getting back from Vietnam, Dad got a 30.06 Ruger 77 tang safety with red rubber butt plate topped with Redfield 3x9 Widefield scope.

My buddy used to like to hunt with us just to watch him shoot, he was fast, snap shooting, buttplate barely touched his shoulder before shooting.

Colt 1911
Ruger GP100

These are the two guns my dad liked best. In his later years he leaned way more towards the GP and wheel guns in general.

This is my first Fathers Day without my father.
Sorry to hear that. Mine passed just before Fathers Day and just before I was getting ready to take finals being back in college. Been many Fathers Days since but of course still makes you miss them. Sad part of living to be old is watching others we care about leave before us :( Hopefully after another dozen or so Dad's days pass the pain does go down a lot but, it never goes away sadly. Sometimes when I am giving advice to "young people" I swear I hear his voice in the background saying the same things to me :D

BB gun was first then a 22 but the most memories are blasting cans with a Mossberg 500,
I really miss him but now its my turn for memories with my Son and Daughter

For me its a 1911 he carried for a decade or so at work that he passed on when he left the country for retirement. That one gets shot a lot. Another is an old German import .25 that his father would drop in his pocket on his way out the door to work. Still remember as a little kid seeing him take that off a high shelf, drop it in his pocket and kiss Grandma goodbye. That went from his father to him, then to me. Need to take that to the range and run a mag through it now that I am thinking about it.

Big shocker here.......

Ruger 10/22.

Every time we went shooting as kids, my dad let us boys shoot the 10/22.

My parents were up from Reno a few weeks ago and my dad and I got a day in a Tri County together. I wish I can do that more often. Shooting with my dad is still one of my favorite things to do in this world.

I look forward to going out with my kiddo more and plinking with him, he will start on a SBRd single shot Rascal! Eventually that will evolve into....

A Ruger 10/22!

Have to vote with @DirectDrive ,the Remington 742. Oil finish on the wood. The old 3x9 Redfield scope. Still use it hunting after 43 years. Missed more than a few animals because the mag wasn't in all the way. All good memories though.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top