JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all! I am trying to hunt down some information as to the laws for storing a firearm outside the home (i.e. gun range) I know the deal with banks and self storage, but what laws are in place for the storage in a gun range? Does the firearm have to be in a certain condition (locked, trigger lock, can be loaded with magazine etc) and I know that may vary based on the ranges policies.

Any help is much appreciated!

Ryan

1) It will depend on your location - you do not specify what state you are in. Transfer laws may come into play if you reside in Oregon, WA or Calif and which state you wish to store it in. I am thinking that if you want to store it outside the state you reside in with an FFL (which most gun ranges are), federal laws may come into play, and even if not, the range policy for out of state residents will probably be different than in state residents.

2) It will most certainly depend on the range policies, probably much less on state laws with regards to the condition (loaded or not), but I doubt any range would let you store it loaded and maybe not with ammo. You could just keep the ammo and mag with you (unless you reside in a state that has restrictions on possession of the mag itself - not sure about Calif. in this regard, but I bet they have said restrictions, and probably on locks too).

3) You do not specify whether the firearm is a shotgun/rifle or handgun - if a handgun and out of state, federal laws may prohibit said storage.

In short, you do not give enough info about what you are trying to do.

I would suggest storing your firearm with relatives (immediate family) if possible. At least in Oregon and WA state, this may preclude any hassle with transfer laws close relatives are exempt from transfer of possession laws.

"Storage" at a gun range in what sense? Like in a locker they might have there? I don't think that'd be a good idea.

Some ranges have secure storage for customer's firearms. When I lived in Bellevue there was a place that had secure storage in a nuclear proof vault for high value items (art, jewelry, etc.). It was expensive but I suppose rich people could afford it - lot's of rich people on Mercer Island not far from Bellevue.

1) It will depend on your location - you do not specify what state you are in. Transfer laws may come into play if you reside in Oregon, WA or Calif and which state you wish to store it in. I am thinking that if you want to store it outside the state you reside in with an FFL (which most gun ranges are), federal laws may come into play, and even if not, the range policy for out of state residents will probably be different than in state residents.

2) It will most certainly depend on the range policies, probably much less on state laws with regards to the condition (loaded or not), but I doubt any range would let you store it loaded and maybe not with ammo. You could just keep the ammo and mag with you (unless you reside in a state that has restrictions on possession of the mag itself - not sure about Calif. in this regard, but I bet they have said restrictions, and probably on locks too).

3) You do not specify whether the firearm is a shotgun/rifle or handgun - if a handgun and out of state, federal laws may prohibit said storage.

In short, you do not give enough info about what you are trying to do.

I would suggest storing your firearm with relatives (immediate family) if possible. At least in Oregon and WA state, this may preclude any hassle with transfer laws close relatives are exempt from transfer of possession laws.

Apologies for the lack of specifics. I am referring to in state resident in the state of Washington for a handgun. I am also thinking of custodial custody or temporary transfer as per: RCW 9.41.113
(c) A temporary transfer of possession of a firearm if such transfer is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to the person to whom the firearm is transferred if:
(i) The temporary transfer only lasts as long as immediately necessary to prevent such imminent death or great bodily harm; and
(ii) The person to whom the firearm is transferred is not prohibited from possessing firearms under state or federal law;
(d) A temporary transfer of possession of a firearm if: (i) The transfer is intended to prevent suicide or self-inflicted great bodily harm; (ii) the transfer lasts only as long as reasonably necessary to prevent death or great bodily harm; and (iii) the firearm is not utilized by the transferee for any purpose for the duration of the temporary transfer;

and
18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2): INTERSTATE CONTROLS
18 U.S.C. 922(b)(3): INTERSTATE CONTROLS
18 U.S.C. 922(t): TRANSFER TO UNLICENSED PERSONS
18 U.S.C. 923(g)(1)(A): REQUIRED RECORDS
27 CFR 478.124: FIREARMS TRANSACTION RECORD
27 CFR 478.125: FIREARMS RECEIPT AND DISPOSITION RECORD

The temporary assignment of a firearm by an FFL to its unlicensed employees for bona fide business purposes, where the actual custody of the firearm is transferred for a limited period of time, and where title and control of the firearm remain with the FFL, is not a transfer for purposes of the Gun Control Act, and, accordingly, the FFL need not contact NICS for a background check, record a bound book disposition entry, nor complete an ATF Form 4473. The temporary assignment of a firearm by an FFL to its unlicensed agents, contractors, volunteers, or any other person who is not an employee of the FFL, even for bona fide business purposes, is a transfer or disposition for purposes of the Gun Control Act, and, accordingly, the FFL must contact NICS for a background check, record a disposition entry, and complete an ATF Form 4473. Revenue Ruling 69- 248 is superseded and ATF Ruling 73-19 is modified. Industry Circular 72-23 is no longer in effect.

In that case, I think any range with an FFL that offers storage services would be more informed on the law than I or most people here would (unless somebody here is an FFL that offers such services).

If you are in the greater Seattle area, one of the larger ranges like Wade's might offer such services. You could call or email them.

We (I speak for me) are not lawyers. Perhaps you might call several gun ranges to start with. It wouldn't be a bad idea to talk to your sheriffs office as well. At the rate things are changing from state to state it might not be a bad idea to talk an actual attorney who is well versed on 2A issues.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top