JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Looking at the lack of usage of the firearm-specific sub-forums (semi-automatic pistol, revolvers, bolt action, etc.), it's apparent that they're not getting used much. In order to reduce clutter and save server resources, we'll be moving the threads back into the 'main' sections and removing these sub-forums. Additionally, we'll be moving the black powder section to the main forum list (yay for @AndyinEverson :)).

I'm just glad the black powder postings aren't going to go "Up in smoke" so to speak...and still can be found and read...:D
( Can we keep the stickies , as stickies ...some good information there , if I say so myself... )
Andy

I just glad the black powder postings aren't going to go "Up in smoke" so to speak...and still can be found and read...:D
( Can we keep the stickies , as stickies ...some good information there , if I say so myself... )
Andy

Absolutely! Nothing within the BP forum changed, but you can now see it on the main forum list :)

Separate out a "Military Weapons" sub forum from the "Rifles Semiauto" and "Pistols" so the Military could cover HGs and Military Style Semi auto Rifles & Carbines and include Milsurp Bolt Actions ?

We actually went the opposite direction, condensing the sections due to inactivity ;)

Back to the same issue we had before we separated them out. Now we have to go back to weeding through 100 AR threads to find the bolt action thread.

I don't know how this site works from your standpoint Joe, if it's more work to have low use sub-sections, but if it's not more work, then this seems like a step back in my opinion. If it is more work, then I guess whatever makes it easier. I'd rather have it without the subsections than not at all.

But then again, I'm one of the few that seemed to frequent the bolt-action thread, so I'm biased.

Back to the same issue we had before we separated them out. Now we have to go back to weeding through 100 AR threads to find the bolt action thread.

I don't know how this site works from your standpoint Joe, if it's more work to have low use sub-sections, but if it's not more work, then this seems like a step back in my opinion. If it is more work, then I guess whatever makes it easier. I'd rather have it without the subsections than not at all.

But then again, I'm one of the few that seemed to frequent the bolt-action thread, so I'm biased.

Bolt actions...who needs 'em?

Man I'm sure excited to pick up my Tikka T3 in 6.5CM tomorrow!

Whoops! :p

I'll admit not having a specific bolt action/semi auto etc. section for rifles is a bit harder to navigate....

I'll admit not having a specific bolt action/semi auto etc. section for rifles is a bit harder to navigate....

I agree with you and MountainBear. Other sites I frequent, have these segregated into groups, such as: left handed rifles, black powders, rimfires, pistols, Ar and Tactical rifles, gunsmithing etc. etc. This helps to navigate through threads a lot easier. You'll find that there are different groups of people that generally stay on each of these separate forums. At this other site, I really like to hang out at the "Winchester Collectors" forum. Like minds thing, I guess.. Not that we want to segregate people. For instance, we know Andy would always be on the blackpowder forums. However, I'm just pointing out how other sites do things...

99% of the times I visit this site I click on the "New Posts" button and see what's new. Don't even really care what section the posts are in. I'm curious how many others read this way.

I'm with MountainBear, I likes having the Sub sections like Bolt action, when I'm looking for something, I already know I want a bolt action, or a semi auto, and I don't like having to wade through the others to get to what I am looking for! Some sections don't need this, but for the Rifles and Pistols, I think its better to keep them separate by type!

To my eye the site looks cleaner.
With that said and a more detailed search for topics and such...
Looking for a specific type of rifle , say information on Winchester model '70s ....it gets kinda difficult to weed thru all the postings in the rifle section.
Yes you can use the search bar...not sure how many visitors or even members do that ....rather than just look in the section Rife Discussion ....

Maybe as MountainBear , BSA and Ura-Ki suggested some more sub forums...
Bolt action rifles , semi auto rifles , lever action , rim fires etc....
Yeah we all know my "first love" here ...but even before becoming a Mod , I did check out other sections...so I don't think that we will lose folks this way....

I understand that bandwith was / is a issue and that the sub sections took up space and such...
( forgive my lack of knowledge here , computers are "magic boxes " and I just don't get 'em )
So what has been suggested sub forums vs. sub sections may not make a difference in bandwith and such....

Just tossing out a thought after a longer look ...
Andy

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Initially I really liked the idea of splitting everything out into sub-forums for the exact reason you've mentioned, finding what one is looking for all in one place (revolvers, bolt actions, etc). The issue is that since we implemented the change a couple years ago, many of these sub-forums had fewer than 200 threads. The reason for this is because there were multiple places you could post a thread and technically it wouldn't be the wrong section. What we end up with is numerous sections with less than a hundred new threads each year. Say I have a question about a Ruger GP100, I could post it in General Firearm Discussion, Handgun Discussion, or Revolver Discussion. If I post it in Handgun Discussion someone looking for GP100 info might go into the revolver section, not find what they're looking for, and assume there's no info when there actually is. This actually makes it more confusing, more cluttered, and difficult to find the info you're looking for.

A better way to do this is to focus on both search engine improvements and also the utilization of tags when creating posts. Our tag management hasn't been great here, mainly due to lack of me educating our members and moderators on proper tag usage. If we properly tagged all GP100 threads, they'd show up on this list here. One click and a person would find all related threads pertaining to exactly what they're looking for regardless of where it's posted on the site. No, I don't think this is the best system out there, but I do think it's worth exploring. I'm going to think on this a bit more.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Initially I really liked the idea of splitting everything out into sub-forums for the exact reason you've mentioned, finding what one is looking for all in one place (revolvers, bolt actions, etc). The issue is that since we implemented the change a couple years ago, many of these sub-forums had fewer than 200 threads. The reason for this is because there were multiple places you could post a thread and technically it wouldn't be the wrong section. What we end up with is numerous sections with less than a hundred new threads each year. Say I have a question about a Ruger GP100, I could post it in General Firearm Discussion, Handgun Discussion, or Revolver Discussion. If I post it in Handgun Discussion someone looking for GP100 info might go into the revolver section, not find what they're looking for, and assume there's no info when there actually is. This actually makes it more confusing, more cluttered, and difficult to find the info you're looking for.

A better way to do this is to focus on both search engine improvements and also the utilization of tags when creating posts. Our tag management hasn't been great here, mainly due to lack of me educating our members and moderators on proper tag usage. If we properly tagged all GP100 threads, they'd show up on this list here. One click and a person would find all related threads pertaining to exactly what they're looking for regardless of where it's posted on the site. No, I don't think this is the best system out there, but I do think it's worth exploring. I'm going to think on this a bit more.

Good points Joe. I agree, the search function needs improvement, and that would probably be the biggest help in finding any content folks want to read. For now, it's still iffy that you'll find what you're looking for each time.

As for tags, I use them, I know their value, but yeah, not everyone may be aware of how helpful they can be when they post a thread.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top