JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
Hello new to forum. First post so please forgive long winded question. I was recently introduced to a gentlemen (call him Joe) Now Joe has fallen on very hard times (Homeless, unemployed, and heavy drinker) and recently pawned a handgun here in Oregon. One week later Joe gets denied attempting to retrieve said handgun after failing a background check. Apparently he was convicted of a misdemeanor last year and as a result is prohibited from owning or possessing firearms until 2020. The Background check also mentioned Joe attempted to purchase a firearm in Eugene, OR 6 months prior but was denied for the same reason. Point being, Joe knew he wasn't allowed to own a firearm before he even pawned the handgun in question.

So not only did Joe lose this gun but he may also be guilty of 3 counts of unlawfully purchasing a firearm (2 failed background check and act of possessing the gun he pawned). For whatever reason Joe decided to give me the actual pawn ticket for this firearm before leaving town for who knows where. Which finally brings us to my question.

Now that Im in possession of the original pawn ticket can I purchase the gun buy simply paying the loan amount back?

From what Ive found online Oregon law states "Any Holder of a Pawn Ticket is Presumed entitled to Redeem"

Welcome to NWFA, personally I'd ask the Pawn shop in question.
Getting legal advise of a public forum may not be your be the best course of action...My two cents.

call the pawn shop be vague. like you are here...

Ive never pawned but spent time in the Pawn shops, if you have the ticket you own the item once paid-off .

Last Edited:
Oregon requires a BGC on all firearm transfers.

We here at NWFA aren't lawyers or otherwise.

Consult an attorney who specializes in firearms.

Thread closed.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews