JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am in possession of firearms that were given to me by my father who recently passed away. They were not left to me in a will, simply given to me with a verbal agreement. I wanted to make sure that I am "registered" as the legal owner of these firearms now (one rifle, two handguns) so I called the Marion County Sheriff's Department and was told that Oregon does not register guns of any kind.

My questions are,
is this true?
how can I document that I am the legal owner of these firearms?

Thanks in advance for all help given...........

I don't know about deaths but if he were to have sold them to you when he was alive there is no, zero paperwork filling or notice needed by anyone. You do not need a paper trail to own a gun. Unless he was in a different state.

I would make sure that if there is any other family that they agree to the way you say it is and maybe get it in writing for later when they forget. But that's the only thing you need to worry about.

Good question. Write yourself a receipt or make a statement of ownership and have it notarized? Heck--how do you prove that you own anything that doesn't have a paper trail?

As Kimber Custom said, they are yours. Again, write down serial numbers and photograph the serial numbers and the gun.

I would then call OSP and have them run the serial numbers to verify they are not stolen, so you are not caught off guard if LE contacts you in the field and runs them.

If you are certain they are clear, like your father bought them from a store, then you are probably fine, but if not sure, then call OSP. Call OSP dispatch and they can help you out. 503-375-3555.

I hope this helps.

They are yours. Photograph them and jot down the serial numbers for insurance purposes and then take them out and use em.

This is a great idea. I'll remember to do this on all of my guns as well. There is no registration in oregon. if you buy a gun new from a store then there is technically a paper trail but it's used for protecting the gun store rather than registering your weapon. Some argue that this is technically a registration. However, if you bought through a private sale or attained the weapon through a deceased family member than you should be fine.

Good question. Write yourself a receipt or make a statement of ownership and have it notarized? Heck--how do you prove that you own anything that doesn't have a paper trail?

I've recently learned, in dealing with my late brother's estate, in Oregon, Notaries can only notarize certain types of documents, and a self written letter isn't one of them, and it varies from state - to - state. You've heard of the old saying; "Possession is 9/10 of the law?" In this case, that would be true. If you wish to document ownership, perhaps putting them, by serial number, in an insurance policy may work.

You don't have any need to register your TV, or any other posession except you car. If I had firearms off the books, I would keep them off the books. Why make confiscation easier?

+1000

You do not need anything to prove ownership. If you are really concerned about it, take a digital photo (time stamped) burn it on a CD and put it in storage. List it on your home insurance policy.

You don't have any need to register your TV, or any other posession except you car. If I had firearms off the books, I would keep them off the books. Why make confiscation easier?

Exactly! I always live my life with the notion that I was not born a product of the government, I am a free man and I am not servant nor do I have a master so I don't consider what is good for the government over what is good for me and my own family.

Maybe we should delete this post then?

Thanks to all for sharing your opinions and suggestions. Now that I know I am not legally required to register any of my weapons, I will simply document ownership by photographing them, documenting serial numbers for each, and add to list of possessions on my Homeowners Policy.

Mr. Monk, have anything to add other than a suggestion to delete a post that at least generated SOME discussion? Or were you just being sarcastic?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top