JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In all the years I have purchased firearms this is the first time something like this has ever happened to me. I wont name the dealer because it was an honest mistake on their end and it ended up having nothing to do with me, but I am more curious on how this would actually play out if it was a real situation.

I moved to a new area a few months ago and I ordered a rifle from a dealer I have never been to before. It came in last week and I picked it up on Saturday morning. I filled out the background check paperwork and he called in for the approval. After 10 minutes or so he hung up the phone and told me I was approved and good to go. Fast forward to yesterday. I get a call from the dealer and when I answer the phone he says I need you to return that gun I sold you. I was confused and asked him why, I was actually assuming there was design flaw with the firearm and it was a safety recall or something. He then told me that my background check was reversed and came back as denied and I needed to return the firearm. I told him such a thing has never happened to me before and he asked me if I had any felonies that would be an issue and I said nothing this is the first time anything like this has happened to me. He said well let me look at something really quick and then he suddenly said he made a mistake and called the wrong person it was a person with a name similar to mine and he made a mistake and we are good and nothing to worry about.

Has anyone else had this sort of thing happen before? I was honestly somewhat shocked that a background check can get approved and then would be reversed days later. I had nothing to worry about as I had nothing to hide but isn't the point of the background check to keep firearms out of the hands of the criminals? Handing a criminal a gun and then asking for it back a few days later seems a little backwards to me? But who knows maybe this is more normal than I think?

In all the years I have purchased firearms this is the first time something like this has ever happened to me. I wont name the dealer because it was an honest mistake on their end and it ended up having nothing to do with me, but I am more curious on how this would actually play out if it was a real situation.

I moved to a new area a few months ago and I ordered a rifle from a dealer I have never been to before. It came in last week and I picked it up on Saturday morning. I filled out the background check paperwork and he called in for the approval. After 10 minutes or so he hung up the phone and told me I was approved and good to go. Fast forward to yesterday. I get a call from the dealer and when I answer the phone he says I need you to return that gun I sold you. I was confused and asked him why, I was actually assuming there was design flaw with the firearm and it was a safety recall or something. He then told me that my background check was reversed and came back as denied and I needed to return the firearm. I told him such a thing has never happened to me before and he asked me if I had any felonies that would be an issue and I said nothing this is the first time anything like this has happened to me. He said well let me look at something really quick and then he suddenly said he made a mistake and called the wrong person it was a person with a name similar to mine and he made a mistake and we are good and nothing to worry about.

Has anyone else had this sort of thing happen before? I was honestly somewhat shocked that a background check can get approved and then would be reversed days later. I had nothing to worry about as I had nothing to hide but isn't the point of the background check to keep firearms out of the hands of the criminals? Handing a criminal a gun and then asking for it back a few days later seems a little backwards to me? But who knows maybe this is more normal than I think?

The way he is calling you, the wrong person, makes me wonder if he did not screw something up and let a gun go that was delayed, that then came back declined. It sounds like he is not doing a very good job of keeping track of what he is doing.

He did tell me the name that he was looking for and it wasn't exactly similar but it would of been probably right next to my name if they filed paperwork alphabetically.

I don't get it. Is he batch processing BGCs and has a list he consults? I mean really, whenever I've bought a firearm, I fill out the paperwork and the dealer uses that to fill in the BGC request. Or is he saying the Staters did it wrong?

I don't get it. Is he batch processing BGCs and has a list he consults? I mean really, whenever I've bought a firearm, I fill out the paperwork and the dealer uses that to fill in the BGC request. Or is he saying the Staters did it wrong?

I filled out the form and he called in the BGC on the spot. He was on the phone for a while before telling me I was approved.

When I got the call yesterday he said the approval was reversed and I was now denied. So either what he was telling me was not exactly correct or that means that BGC's are audited within a couple of days to ensure they are correct? Meaning some approvals slip though that are not correct?

I would of asked these questions while on the phone but I was honestly shocked I wasn't really thinking until after the phone call ended.

Not sure I would give the full reason on the phone. I want a denied person to come back with a weapon.

Why are they denied? if a felon, then I want the police dealing with it. Will that cause the seller problems you bet.

Turned out to be stolen? Again, I need it to come back to the shop, and why aren't the police the better solution?

I can just imagine too many bad outcomes.

Some other reason, like I smeared the S/N and I can't take your word for it/photo, have to inspect in person.

maybe someone committed a felony or got a protection order against them and same day went out to buy a gun?

in that case could have been a couple day delay in NICS being updated with the new information making it approved one day and denied the next?

Just my WAG at it. (Wild Arse Guess)

Many many years ago, my brother who is now 70yrs old, plead a non-violent charge down to a misdemeanor. 30 years later he buys a handgun and takes it home, only to receive a phone call the next day demanding that he return the gun or he will be arrested. After a bunch of follow up it turns out that the Asst Director of the BATF determined that since his crime would have been a felony, that he is indeed a felon. No chance of appeal unless he wants to take it to a judge... he doesn't think a judge would reverse the Asst Director.

But that's an example of them making an arbitrary decision that reverses a BGC approval.

He did tell me the name that he was looking for and it wasn't exactly similar but it would of been probably right next to my name if they filed paperwork alphabetically.

John Smith.....

John Smithe.....

Jon Smith.....

Jon Smithe.....

Juan Smith.....

Many many years ago, my brother who is now 70yrs old, plead a non-violent charge down to a misdemeanor. 30 years later he buys a handgun and takes it home, only to receive a phone call the next day demanding that he return the gun or he will be arrested. After a bunch of follow up it turns out that the Asst Director of the BATF determined that since his crime would have been a felony, that he is indeed a felon. No chance of appeal unless he wants to take it to a judge... he doesn't think a judge would reverse the Asst Director.

But that's an example of them making an arbitrary decision that reverses a BGC approval.

The crux is being CONVICTED of a felony, or qualified misdemeanor.... if he wasn't CONVICTED of a FELONY then the authorities have no standing to deny someone their 2A rights.

If everything you said is true, I'd eat the BATFE AD for lunch in the courtroom based on that AND sue for damages...

The crux is being CONVICTED of a felony, or qualified misdemeanor.... if he wasn't CONVICTED of a FELONY then the authorities have no standing to deny someone their 2A rights.

If everything you said is true, I'd eat the BATFE AD for lunch in the courtroom based on that AND sue for damages...

The Asst Director was intransigent. Wouldn't budge. Insulted him and talked down to him. And apparently she is the last on the ladder that one can make a case to outside of a judge.

Agreed. But, my brother thought that the gov has deep pockets and he doesn't so... I tried to get him to find a group or a lawyer that would take it pro-bono but he just gave up, didn't think that at his age it was worth the fight.

The Asst Director was intransigent. Wouldn't budge. Insulted him and talked down to him. And apparently she is the last on the ladder that one can make a case to outside of a judge.

Agreed. But, my brother thought that the gov has deep pockets and he doesn't so... I tried to get him to find a group or a lawyer that would take it pro-bono but he just gave up, didn't think that at his age it was worth the fight.

Well hopefully he went out "big" and told her to "eat a Richard"! o_O

Be aware this is a scam that can be used to put your gun in the hands of a prohibited person. Not saying that is the case, but sketchy FFLs have done it in the past per the internet, for whatever that is worth.

He probably gave you your gun and then someone with a similar name came in and failed his BGC. The other guy never got the gun beut the dealer , now confused, thought the other guy was you and was crapping his pants.

Prohibited persons have many other ways of getting guns than getting sneaky with a dufus dealer.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top