JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have never bought a firearm from private party. I live in Oregon and I am looking for AR9. I see some that interest me from Wa. Can I go to Wa. and purchase a firearm? If so do I need to do anything special? Any insight would be appreciated.

If a Oregon resident see if sell (WA resident) would travel to Oregon for transfer. Been some time but used to make things better/easier.

The cost and hassle since its an "Assault Weapon" here now would make it FAR better to just look in your own state. I doubt you will find anything here that would be such a good deal that it would be worth the expense and bother. Is there some certain maker of AR9 you are after?

ASSUMING no one wants to ship.

Figure the distance between the both of you.

SOMETIMES......a deal can be made where the WA seller might just be willing to meet with you in Portland, OR (since you live in Salem). Of course the transaction still takes place with the "help of an FFL".

And the same could be said with handgun transfers.

Think of it as.......
To avoid headaches......
The buyer wants the transaction (at the FFL's place of business) in the buyer's home state.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
The cost and hassle since its an "Assault Weapon" here now would make it FAR better to just look in your own state. I doubt you will find anything here that would be such a good deal that it would be worth the expense and bother. Is there some certain maker of AR9 you are after?
No specific brand. 7"-10" barrel, reliable and has last round bolt held open. Want to stay under $1000. Thanks for the reply

No specific brand. 7"-10" barrel, reliable and has last round bolt held open. Want to stay under $1000. Thanks for the reply
There has been a real panic on guns but they are starting to come back now. So you want an AR pistol. Even more reason to not waste much time trying to buy one from WA while you are in OR. If you want to go SBR FAR better to do it in your own state. If you want to take an AR pistol and put a brace on it? Then you can just buy an AR lower and build it out. Several nice uppers that come complete ready to just pin on your lower. Should be easy to put one together in your 1K budget. Primary Arms is where I bought my last complete upper in 9 with a 5inch. Foxtrot Mike brand. Been super happy with it. Take a look at them and some others who sell this stuff and you can see whats out there. Stern makes a NICE adapter to use a standard AR lower with a 9 upper and gives you the LRBHO option. They are not cheap but are well made. Have one I bought from Primary couple years ago I have not used yet that is calling to me :D
In any case trying to buy a handgun AR from WA the seller would really need to be willing to come to OR to transfer at your FFL. The WA resident could send it to your FFL there but by the time you start paying for this stuff it gets hard to find a deal worth it.

Look for Aero's EPC9 sales.
This. There's an epc-9 blem on sale for $105 right now. I picked up a cerakote FDE blem for 95 over thanksgiving.

Lowers are super easy to put together and I'd recommend doing that - buy every part on sale and you can get one done cheap.

If building isn't really your thing, then buy a pre-assembled upper in the barrel length and hand guard style of your choice.

I have never bought a firearm from private party. I live in Oregon and I am looking for AR9. I see some that interest me from Wa. Can I go to Wa. and purchase a firearm? If so do I need to do anything special? Any insight would be appreciated.
As already noted, WA law says no.

Federal law says 'yes' IF you use an FFL and the transaction meets the laws of all the states involved - state where the FFL is, state where the seller is resident, state where the buyer is resident.

18 USC 922 (b)(3) - https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml...granuleid:USC-prelim-title18-section922&num=0

As already noted, WA law says no.

Federal law says 'yes' IF you use an FFL and the transaction meets the laws of all the states involved - state where the FFL is, state where the seller is resident, state where the buyer is resident.
Turns out he is looking for a handgun not a long gun. So it is a whole new bunch of trouble. There is no Assault Weapon hoops since what he is looking for is not an AR9 rifle but rather a pistol. So its either seller goes to him, or seller sends the pistol to an FFL there. Very little chance a deal will be so good it will be worth the trouble and or expense.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews