JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It has been a nice, lazy Sunday. I've been thumbing (or mouse-wheeling rather) through old copies of Guns magazine from 1955 — 1971. It has been neat reading the old articles, taking in the vintage advertisements, etc. Some firearms terminology was different, while others pretty much the same. Some things obviously caught on, while others faded away.

Anyway, it got me to thinking: is there a particular time period or era of firearms you find particularly interesting and/or collect? I realize the answer for many would be "all of them", but I mean a particular one that holds your interest, be it a life long study, or more transient interests.

Enjoy! :)

Last Edited:
Honestly, civil war. The transition from black powder to cartridges is a huge step forward and the results were gruesome

Thats a hard one! For me, my favorite era has more to do with cartridge introductions. The late 40s to early 60s saw a flood of new hunting cartridges. Many of my favorites were released during that timeframe. 243 Winchester, 280 Remington, 7mm Remington Magnum, 300 Winchester Magnum, and 338 Winchester Magnum to name a few. Not to mention several of Roy Weatherby's cartridges like the 257 WBY and 300 WBY.

Generally I have a preference for firearms dating from World War I through the 1950's.

1903 Springfield - particularly the target models
Early N-frame and K-frame Smith and Wessons
The various hunting rifles and cartridges from between the wars - 25/30/33/35 Remington, etc.
Winchester model 97/12/37 shotguns
Winchester model 52/74/75 rimfire

Great topic. Probably the 50's/60's when I could get my own guns. Didn't have to ask Dad, though
he was generous. But it always came with a lecture. Some of that period still hangs with me today.

I had to split these two in my own mind:

• As a history nerd: the arms of the conflicts of the Interwar period (e.g., Chaco War, Second Italo-Ethiopian War, Italian invasion of Albania, Spanish Civil War, Japanese invasion of Manchuria, et al.) through the Big One.
  • As a shooter: probably the 1980s. Good hunting rifles could be had, one could still paper new machine-guns (before May 9, 1986), milsurp was still a thing, Bush import ban wasn't in place yet, and there were various wacky offerings then. (Though admittedly the latter featured some real junk.)
Though, to be honest, us shooters have it pretty darn good these days. :)

Late 1800's to early 1900's have piqued my interest lately. Both firearm and automotive advancements seemed to happen at a torrid pace back then. The fact that we still use most the technologies developed in those periods today speaks volumes.

Last Edited:
40s-60s…I've been pretty nostalgic for my dad and uncles' rifles from WW2 & Korea like 03-A3, Garand, and civilian hunting version BAR, and some of the awesome big revolvers that came out then like the S&W 27, 28 & 29s.

Not so much a particular gun era, but more of a time period. What I wouldn't give to walk into a well-stocked hardware store with the back walls lined with the best lever actions of the time. Winchester Mod. 76's, 86's, 92's and all the popular handguns. ALL NEW and priced for the time. Damn, makes my mouth water.

I like the old Lawmen and the guns they carried. Men like Jelly Bryce who killed some really bad criminals useing his revolver. The old Texas Ranger that took on Bonnie and Clyde and their gang, Hammer was his name.

I like to follow the stories of good men with guns.

1920's and 30's. The guys that experimented with them new fangled bolt actions and did silly wild cat stuff. AO Neidner, Charles Newton, Col Whelen, etc.

In my lifetime its back just before the 90s era assault weapons ban, when you could walk into a gun show and buy all the authentic imported AK47s you want. Had I known,, I woulda bought hundreds of them prebans to sell today...

Cool thread. I love anything Cold War-related so anything from that era... Standouts are -- obviously -- the Kalashnikov, Beretta M12, The M14, Ma Deuce, The 1911, and the Uzi. Closest I get to owning these gems are the two 1911s I currently own and my Ruger Ranch Rifle.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top