JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking for a cleaning solution to replace Hoppes—something that can be used when I've thoroughly disassembled a pistol for cleaning (or at least using a toothbrush to get into all the crevices and springs).

Every single bottle of Hoppes I've ever had has leaked out in my range bag or in my filing cabinet drawer. I'm sick of it and the smell.

What's new and effective-and that comes in a bottle with a good seal that I can take in my range bag? Can anyone point to any meaningful tests of the newer/different clean/lube options?

I know people who used to swear by Frog Lube—and now it is proving to break down over time if it hasn't gunned up actions while in storage.

Lots of people have recommended CLP, but I don't quite understand how something can clean (i.e. break down and strip all the old lube/grease/crap off) and lubricate at the same time.

I like G96 for a spray on a bore snake for cleaning and also to get down into the crevices. If it's really dirty, good ol' carb or brake cleaner works for me followed up by G96 and a wipedown.

For lube I like Tetralube & Tetra grease.

I've used those products for years and had no negative effects.

I still use Hoppe's #9 because it works great on revolver cylinders and parts where seepage isn't an issue and anyway, you could probably dunk the gun in it and it would function.

YMMV :)

I have been in the same dilemma too many times. Hoppes never lives in a range bag, for the reasons you discovered. so, for the road, I compromise with a cleaner/lube product, and hold off on my serious cleaning til I get home. And even there, my Hoppes bottle resides in a tip-proof wooden block that I made expressly for this purpose, as Hoppe's likes to leak out just as easily at home, if it tips on its side.

Butch's Bore Shine is even more of a stinker (in my quest to replace Hoppes)
I need to give that stuff away.
I transfer the Hoppes to a low, wide-mouth jar and it sits upright in tool box adapted for gun cleaning products/tools.

BreakFree CLP..... it's all I've ever used since '85-'86.... on 1911's, M9's, M16's, M203's, M60's, MP-5's (etc, etc)... in the forests, in the jungles, on the beaches, in the spring, in the summer, in the fall, in the dead of winter.

Do it. o_O

;):D

If you like CLP, Eezox looks like a good one...
eezox-rust-test.jpg

Can't really prove this, I've been using break free CLP for a good chunk of time and the pistols I've used it on from the start tended to show a lot less finish wear on the barrel compared to other brands I've tried. My gen 4 g19 looks like it has less wear than my gen 4 g33 or my G45, both of which I've been using other stuff on. So I'd say break free is a solid bet

Edit: the g19 is several thousand rounds old, the G45 and 33, several hundred each

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top