JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've been using Ed's Red for years and have made up batches for many of my friends. I've tried many of the others but always come back to this one.

Same here. I'm a cheap bastage, but my guns are clean. :D

ETA: I haven't bought a commercial bore cleaner in over 20 years.

Last Edited:
Hoppes makes a less smelly version. Never tried it. But the OP might want to?

I want to say it's their Elite branded stuff

My go to is "Ed's Red"
I have Hoppes, Ballistol, CLP and some foaming stuff in my stash too.
Lube, I have some Aeroshell 18, Valvoline red grease, and some tetra floating around.
My carry gun gets a small amount of Valvoline...yup, wheel bearing grease....dab on the rails and a touch on top of the barrel. Works great, doesnt run everywhere.

Eliminator does what CU+2 does and cleans out carbon. You will need to avoid brass jags -- both of those solvents leave a blue stain on the patch when copper is present but because brass has copper in it, any brass parts in your cleaning gear will give you a false positive.
Found this little chart...
s-l1600.jpg

I'm looking for a cleaning solution to replace Hoppes—something that can be used when I've thoroughly disassembled a pistol for cleaning (or at least using a toothbrush to get into all the crevices and springs).

Every single bottle of Hoppes I've ever had has leaked out in my range bag or in my filing cabinet drawer. I'm sick of it and the smell.

What's new and effective-and that comes in a bottle with a good seal that I can take in my range bag? Can anyone point to any meaningful tests of the newer/different clean/lube options?

I know people who used to swear by Frog Lube—and now it is proving to break down over time if it hasn't gunned up actions while in storage.

Lots of people have recommended CLP, but I don't quite understand how something can clean (i.e. break down and strip all the old lube/grease/crap off) and lubricate at the same time.
The only thing I've ever used is Outers 445 Gun Oil.

s-l300.jpg

Takes a little elbow grease, but it can clean mildly crusted and rusted parts.
However, I took a look at the site and what do you think about Outers Tri-Care
A4P0_1_20161028255886701.jpg
Listed as a "3-way gun treatment", it says it cleans, lubricates and adds a layer of rust/corrosion protection.
Sounds like just what you're looking for.

Dean

I'm looking for a cleaning solution to replace Hoppes—something that can be used when I've thoroughly disassembled a pistol for cleaning (or at least using a toothbrush to get into all the crevices and springs).

Every single bottle of Hoppes I've ever had has leaked out in my range bag or in my filing cabinet drawer. I'm sick of it and the smell.

What's new and effective-and that comes in a bottle with a good seal that I can take in my range bag? Can anyone point to any meaningful tests of the newer/different clean/lube options?

I know people who used to swear by Frog Lube—and now it is proving to break down over time if it hasn't gunned up actions while in storage.

Lots of people have recommended CLP, but I don't quite understand how something can clean (i.e. break down and strip all the old lube/grease/crap off) and lubricate at the same time.

Reason you are "sick of the smell" is that decades ago Hoppes had to change from Frank's Wonderful Original mix to something less harmful to environment. No one - no man anyway - could get "sick of" original Hoppes' aroma.

If you like CLP, Eezox looks like a good one...
View attachment 583455
Also eezox is ester based and leaves a slightly basic residue that resists fingerprints. Also it's a dry lube. It leaves a slippery dry film (as does ballistol). If u give it time to work it's a very effective cleaner of gun powder residue.

The 4 oz can has a flip up lid and doesn't leak. I haven't tried the other types of cans.

5B854BD1-6380-4E8F-8036-E8D566C81C40.jpeg

Last Edited:
What do you guys use for leaded up barrels. My grandson has been useing the single six alot with Remington Thunderbolts. I ran a brush thru it at the ranhe this morning and it has a lit of lead in the gruves.

I had to run into the big city today and get some expanding foam to seal some leaky spots in the roof, when I ran across something labeled "DOW GREAT STUFF PRO GUN CLEANER".
I was surprised to run across a gun cleaner at a large "box" hardware store and was gonna ask you guys if you'd used this one....

DowGunCleaner_1.jpg

….then I noticed it said Cleaner for Professional Foam Applicator Guns.
:oops::rolleyes:

…..never mind. :p:D:s0140:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews