JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I start with a bit of this stuff: Bore Tech Eliminator Bore Cleaner | The Best Gun Cleaning Solvent From Bore Tech Get everything well coated and let it sit for 10 minutes or so. Then clean with some more poured on patches, then dry patches. It's seems pretty spendy to me but it really cuts through everything and has basically no smell at all -- it's worth it to cut down on the scrubbing. I don't know what the base is, but it seems like soapy water to me.

Because it does seem watery, I follow that up with a thorough cleaning with Hoppes to help drive out the water. Then after that CLP everywhere and on a few parts, like take-down pins, the barrels of rotating levers, bearing surface on rails, a very very thin coat of grease.

But I do that all at home. For the range I just have some bore snakes and little tubes of some random CLP which I can't find anywhere -- tiny little squeeze containers that won't seal but are so small I just toss them. It would be nice if there was some CLP that came in something like ketchup packets for single use. Anyway, I suppose an aerosol wouldn't spill.
This ^^^
Bore Tech Eliminator seems to be the crowd favorite.

Not Ed's Red but ……

I've been using this mixture for at least 30 years. Of course start with a squeeky clean gun to make the change to any new cleaner.

I use this like a "pressure washer". In a one quart spray bottle mix 50% kerosene, 50% mineral spirits (odorless) and then add 40:1 ATF.

Yes It's similar to Ed's Red but I've been mixing this stuff since way before anybody ever heard of his stuff.

Of course ATF is, by it's self a great gun lube. (Lubriplate 105 is just about the best light grease, similar to Wilson's)

The main advantage is economy and that you use it to flush the "smutz" completely out into a separate container like a square cake pan.

When I used to travel a lot to shoot matches I didn't keep cleaners in my range bag. Cleaning stuff was kept in a separate "tool box".

Smiles,

I start with a bit of this stuff: Bore Tech Eliminator Bore Cleaner | The Best Gun Cleaning Solvent From Bore Tech Get everything well coated and let it sit for 10 minutes or so. Then clean with some more poured on patches, then dry patches. It's seems pretty spendy to me but it really cuts through everything and has basically no smell at all -- it's worth it to cut down on the scrubbing. I don't know what the base is, but it seems like soapy water to me.

Because it does seem watery, I follow that up with a thorough cleaning with Hoppes to help drive out the water. Then after that CLP everywhere and on a few parts, like take-down pins, the barrels of rotating levers, bearing surface on rails, a very very thin coat of grease.

But I do that all at home. For the range I just have some bore snakes and little tubes of some random CLP which I can't find anywhere -- tiny little squeeze containers that won't seal but are so small I just toss them. It would be nice if there was some CLP that came in something like ketchup packets for single use. Anyway, I suppose an aerosol wouldn't spill.
I'm with yer, cept it's Hoppes no. 9, dry patch, BreakFree CLP, dry patch through the bore, dry frame rails and inside of slide rails. Then apply a thin coat of white lithium grease... Work the slide, work it all in, a quick external ipedown with CLP followed by a silicone cloth...

Leaves 'em looking like new, all
Clean and shiney :D

I'm looking for a cleaning solution to replace Hoppes—something that can be used when I've thoroughly disassembled a pistol for cleaning (or at least using a toothbrush to get into all the crevices and springs).

If you are looking for a general cleaner, not a bore cleaner, I use this. Pump spray bottle, no odor, non-irritating, effective. Especially good for cleaning the inside of ARs.

p_945700008_1.jpg

Read the reviews https://www.brownells.com/gun-clean...egreasers/solvents/gun-cleaner-prod23147.aspx

Eezox is great as a protectant and rust preventer, but I don't use it as a cleaner. I coat the outside of my guns with it and I use it on the last patch I run through the bore after the bore is clean to prevent rust.

Someone gave me these as gifts but I haven't tried them yet.

liberaltears-penetrator-bundle.jpg
Liberal Tears Brand

I'm afraid they might be so salty they will cause rust instead of preventing it. :p

Last Edited:
For solvents, I've switched over from Hoppes to Breakthrough Clean and have been VERY happy with it. It's almost odorless and non toxic...which is a huge change from Hoppes...

https://www.amazon.com/Breakthrough-Clean-Technologies-Military-Grade-Solvent/dp/B073PYY6Z7

For lubricants, I'm a fan of Wilson Combat's Ultimalube products. They've got a lite oil, regular oil, Universal...which is heavier than the regular oil but not as heavy as grease, and grease.

Not Ed's Red but ……

I've been using this mixture for at least 30 years. Of course start with a squeeky clean gun to make the change to any new cleaner.

I use this like a "pressure washer". In a one quart spray bottle mix 50% kerosene, 50% mineral spirits (odorless) and then add 40:1 ATF.

Yes It's similar to Ed's Red but I've been mixing this stuff since way before anybody ever heard of his stuff.

Of course ATF is, by it's self a great gun lube. (Lubriplate 105 is just about the best light grease, similar to Wilson's)

The main advantage is economy and that you use it to flush the "smutz" completely out into a separate container like a square cake pan.

When I used to travel a lot to shoot matches I didn't keep cleaners in my range bag. Cleaning stuff was kept in a separate "tool box".

Smiles,
Lubriplate #105 or Microlon......both engine assembly lubes and similar.....are great for breaking in the rails on a Polymer 80 build. It's a light grease, white-ish in color.
I have a dedicated artist's brush for painting it into the slide grooves on all my pistols.

Oiling pistol rails seems ghetto after you start doing the above.

I started out with hoppes... Then my dad got me using CLP when I was around 10 years old and I used that most of my life.

For light cleaning I now waffle between CLP and slip 2000. Then I ran into this gunsmith that recommended wipe out brushless bore cleaner. I found the wipe out works pretty good for copper fouling, so I use it once a year for a deep clean.

I have a good supply of these bottles.
My range bags all have one of these bottles full of CLP.
View attachment 583722
I haven't tested Hoppes (or any thin viscosity) in them.

Another good applicator choice, an oiler for sewing machines ;)
sewing machine oiler - Google Search
View attachment 583738

Love these bottles, they will hold just about anything. Usually LDPE and pretty resilient, I've got them filled with Hoppes, CLP, isopropyl alcohol, and one with dry lube.

I've tried 2/3d's of the ones previously mentioned in this thread to replace Hoppe's No. 9 - none of em cleaned worth a damn.

Yes, they smelled better, but actually do a good job removing what they need to remove, nope.

"Smell better than Hoppes' 9" A lot of things smell as good, some better maybe, but I guarantee you that perfume a beautiful woman wears won't clean your rifle like you like!

There was a Gunsmith training course produced by Lassen Community Collage in Northern California.
I was amazed watching their Master Gunsmith using "Simple Green" on fully dissembled firearms. Of course followed up by protectant oils to displace the water.
o_O

I've been using Breakfree CLP for cleaning. Especially the really dirty, baked on carbon from AR and AK use. My AR is a piston gun and that regulator and piston can get really dirty. Breakfree CLP works well for that stuff. After a good scrubbing with CLP, I usually spray them all down with MPro7, wipe them down good, a little lube here and there in the right spots, and back into the safe until next time.

I like the mpro 7 cuts well, no smell, but it is in a pump top plastic bottle this doesn't seem like it was meant to be loose in a range bag...

If you are looking for a general cleaner, not a bore cleaner, I use this. Pump spray bottle, no odor, non-irritating, effective. Especially good for cleaning the inside of ARs.

You can add me to the club. I only use three products for my regular cleaning:
- Mpro7, by Hoppe's (if you have that brand loyalty)
- CLP
- Gunslick Foaming Bore Cleaner

Mpro7 is fantastic for cleaning carbon and grime. No smell, fantastic properties. Between that and CLP I can get everything clean enough for my tastes. If something is really stuck sometimes I'll give it an overnight Hoppe's soak. (Looking at you, fouled AR bolt)
For cleaning bores, I use CLP and Gunslick Foaming Bore Cleaner. I'm not satisfied with CLP in the bore (I'd love suggestions here) but the gunslick is stellar, not too aggressive and again, not smelly.
I'm trying to get away from the smelly, caustic stuff where I can, and after realized Hoppe's No.9 was mostly kerosene, I grew out of it.

474487.jpg
Gun-Cleaners-Thumb.png
Still find getting the bore clean a challenge.
Still hate cleaning the star chamber behind the lugs.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top