JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok so during a recent conversation about logging firearms we got into a debate on if gun service providers run the guns to see if they are stolen or not.

He claims that when you bring a firearm in to a gunsmith or say to have the Cerakote Finish applied that they must or do run the numbers on the firearm to see if it has been stolen.

I say this is not true.

Now Yea I can see if you are going to pawn/sell sure but during normal services?

Now I must say I can't be 100% on my response as I just don't know. Maybe someone here does?

Anyone???

An FFL has to log in firearms that they will take into their possession - i.e., when you leave a firearm with them.

But that is their FFL log, and this has been the case for decades.

I do not believe that they need to run the serial number against a DB or anything else. I could be wrong, but until someone cites a law that specifically states otherwise, that is my assertion.

If the person who states that they have to run the numbers is so sure, then they should be able to provide a cite of the relevant law - right?

No,stores or gunsmiths don't have to check guns to see if they are stolen. But years ago,a pawn shop owner told me he had to do this.
Don't know if it still is that way

It is still that way. I've never heard of any gunsmith that did that (myself included) nor is there any law requiring that to happen. Pawn shops are required to do so.

Criminals don't typically bring in their stolen hi-point for a nice Cerakote job ;)

An FFL has to log in firearms that they will take into their possession - i.e., when you leave a firearm with them.

That's close, but not exactly correct. I do engraving and am an FFL-01. I only have to log firearms into my bound book when/if they stay after normal business hours. If you drop it off and pick it up on the same day then there is no requirement for me to log it in. If you pick it up tomorrow then it gets logged. Be aware that if you drop it off and someone else picks it up, I have to do a 4473 and a background check on whoever picks it up - it's technically a transfer at that point and needs paperwork.

As far as checking to see if it's stolen or not? No, not that I was told anyway.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top