JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
News Release from: Oregon State Police
ADVISORY: FIREARM BACKGROUND CHECKS TEMPORARILY ON HOLD DUE TO NATIONAL INSTANT CHECK SYSTEM PROBLEM
Posted: June 3rd, 2013 9:19 AM

Currently, the National Instant Check System (NICS) is unavailable and firearm background checks cannot be processed until this service is restored. We will provide and update when the system will be available so we can resume firearms background checks.

The Oregon State Police understands how frustrating this unexpected disruption is for those who rely on this service. We will work hard to complete any outstanding requests as soon as possible.

### State of Oregon: Oregon State Police ###

Received this email at 9 this morning... and just like that, all gun sales could be stopped.

Once any of those Universal BG Check laws get on the books it would be as simple as throwing a switch and the legal transfer of firearms would effectively cease to exist. This is just one of the many reasons why we must continue to oppose any new infringements of our 2A protected rights.

News Release from: Oregon State Police
UPDATE: ADVISORY: FIREARM BACKGROUND CHECKS RESUME FOLLOWING NATIONAL INSTANT CHECK SYSTEM PROBLEM
Posted: June 3rd, 2013 9:35 AM

The National Instant Check System (NICS) was unavailable and firearm background checks were not processed until the service was restored as of approximately 9:30 a.m. The Oregon State Police appreciates everyone's patience because we understand how frustrating the unexpected disruption was for those who rely on this service. We will work hard to complete any outstanding requests as soon as possible.

### State of Oregon: Oregon State Police ###

You may resume your regularly scheduled firearms transactions.

I have never understood why those who hold a CHL should have to undergo a back ground check every time they buy a gun. Probably just a fund raiser for the state.

I have never understood why those who hold a CHL should have to undergo a back ground check every time they buy a gun. Probably just a fund raiser for the state.

I thought CHL were exempt from NICS, but they still had to fill out a 4473 which gets called in to the state police. For the last pistol I purchased the clerk had me approved on the computer before I finished filling out the 4473.

Once any of those Universal BG Check laws get on the books it would be as simple as throwing a switch and the legal transfer of firearms would effectively cease to exist. This is just one of the many reasons why we must continue to oppose any new infringements of our 2A protected rights.
That ain't the only thing they can control with the flip of a switch. Pretty much all communications.

I thought CHL were exempt from NICS, but they still had to fill out a 4473 which gets called in to the state police. For the last pistol I purchased the clerk had me approved on the computer before I finished filling out the 4473.

Nope, in that time they ran the NICS background check and you were approved. In some other states, you don't have to do the background check with a CHL. But in Oregon, the CHL does not exempt you from the NICS check. Their reasoning behind this is because you may have done something that would prevent you from owning a firearm between the time you got your CHL and buying the firearm.

Nope, in that time they ran the NICS background check and you were approved. In some other states, you don't have to do the background check with a CHL. But in Oregon, the CHL does not exempt you from the NICS check. Their reasoning behind this is because you may have done something that would prevent you from owning a firearm between the time you got your CHL and buying the firearm.

Same in WA, the only thing a CPL does is let you take your purchase home the same day instead of the required cooling off period.

I think the whole thing is plainly stupid. After undergoing a single background check you should be exempt from further checks for life. What's to keep a person from shooting someone with the gun he already has ? So what if he owns one or fifty. A " cooling off period " is moot if you already have one.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top