JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just opened my primary bob, to see how many way to make fire are in it, because i'm old and tend to forget things.

1 magnifying glass
2 ferrocerium rods
1 dozen cotton balls sealed in mre hot beverage bag
2 bic lighters sealed in plastic mre hot beverage bag
1 pack of large stoormproof matches sealed in plastic mre hot beverage bag
1 pack of wind & waterproof safety matches sealed in it's own container
magnesium bar and striker
6 packs of wetfire
30 + large trioxane bars
1 tube of chapstick, which burns like vaseline
1 altoids tin, with cotton strips inside. which is for cleaning firearms, but i could make charred cloth with it.
1 otis universal cleaning kit, which is full of cotton patches and 3 tubes of otis 085 ultra bore, which is very flammable.

Then i opened my med kit.
2 large cotton compress bandages
12 alcohol swabs
1 doxen q tips
1 cotton 36"X36"X51" triangular sling/bandage
1 dozen antibiotic ointment packs, which i am sure are flammable

2 rolls of TP, vacuum sealed in plastic

Holy cow, i had no idea i had so many ways to make fire in that bag.

Fir tree sap, which is every where around here and burns well, even when wet.

I do not smoke but carry a cheap calico lighter I get at walmart in pants pocket every where I go except on an airplane, I used them on the Appalachain Trail, I have washed them accidentally and they worked fine afterwards, I keep several in my truck, day pack, back pack, bug out bags.

they have them at walmart in a five pack for $1.50 on the tobacco aisle Jeweltones Lighters ? Calico Lighters :: Calico Brands, Inc.

Oh yeah these inexpensive magneium bars work well to and very cheap, I have one thos in each of my bags as well

and a few esbit or choglans fuel tablets great for jump starting a fire when its wet or cold out and you do not feel like fooling around

I just opened my primary bob, to see how many way to make fire are in it, because i'm old and tend to forget things.

1 magnifying glass
2 ferrocerium rods
6 packs of wetfire
30 + large trioxane bars
1 altoids tin, with cotton strips inside. which is for cleaning firearms, but i could make charred cloth with it.
1 otis universal cleaning kit, which is full of cotton patches and 3 tubes of otis 085 ultra bore, which is very flammable.

12 alcohol swabs
1 doxen q tips

That's a lot of sources of ignition, I counted 8. And around 10 tinders, wow. Have you ever found fatwood out in the woods?
I ask because once I learned how to find it (it's all over) I didn't need to carry as much tinder. I'll keep a larger amount of fire related material in my S&R bag but, in my GHB (get home bag) I tend to carry less different types and quantities of ignition and tinder as well. I guess I'm thinking tactically about fire giving away my position when I want to remain more hidden.

1 magnifying glass
2 ferrocerium rods
6 packs of wetfire
30 + large trioxane bars

12 alcohol swabs
1 doxen q tips

That's a lot of sources of ignition, I counted 8. And around 10 tinders, wow. Have you ever found fatwood out in the woods?
I ask because once I learned how to find it (it's all over) I didn't need to carry as much tinder. I'll keep a larger amount of fire related material in my S&R bag but, in my GHB (get home bag) I tend to carry less different types and quantities of ignition and tinder as well. I guess I'm thinking tactically about fire giving away my position when I want to remain more hidden.

Yes, fatwood is great. It is water resistant and burns very hot. If you do not have an axe or knife, you can smash fatwood, between rocks to make tinder.

For me personally, i really do not need very much. But, i carry enough for my family to share, should the need arise and it adds very little weight to my pack.

I also forgot to mention, that i carry a wood and bone saw in this bag as well. For me it is much easier to saw wood, than chop it, plus it is much more quiet.

9v + steel wool + shoping bag=fire (also have all the other stuff but thought Id add something new)p.s.9v,steel wool can be switched for 2 letter batteries(aa,aaa,d,c) + blade from bic razor

What wood were you using for the hand drill?

How long did it take you?

I've never even made a real attempt.

I've seen it, and, wow. impressive

It's been a while since I made one and honestly can't remember what wood was used. I will try and look through some old notes of mine and hopefully I actually wrote something down about it. Think it was cedar for the hearthboard and a hardwood for the spindle/drill.

+1 SIG, I have some that my Mom made 40-45 yrs ago and they still burn like fire! She added a string wick for convenient lighting.

No Matter how wet it gets, Duct tape burns wonderfully. The adhesive burns hot and for a long time. I use flint rod or blast match to start petroleum jelly cotton balls. Loosely wrap duct tape wound small twigs or sticks and away ya go!

Duct tape........sounds interesting. These should compliment vaseline cotton balls & striker stored in a ziplock.

Regarding road flares : I've carried these for years in all my rigs and hunting packs. They work great if they are DRY.

I found out the hard way that the striker end can get mushy and cause your once great solution to become worthless. All my flares are now new and stored in ziplock bags.

PS....If you have not tried the vaseline cotton balls & striker solution, do it.
My first thought was, "seems a bit hokey but I'll give it a go"......AMAZING.

i think everyone here has forgotten about the fire piston. it was the first fire trick i learned for starting a fire without matches or a lighter. also those smokers forget a cigarette is a helpful tender if you dont have any thats dry.

Grew up in the coast range and have carried thermite with me ever since I saw a junior high school science teacher demonstrate its properties to us one day. ANY wood wet or dry and you have fire in an instant. I use a magnesuim bar to light it.

I don't smoke but always have a Zippo. I've got the old Magnesium/Flint bars and waterproof matches as well as a blastmatch I just picked up. That thing is absolutely amazing.

I forgot to mention in my previous post that my wife and I have the glass from old camera lenses in our gear. Cheap and readily available at thrift stores, they are much superior to "magnifying glasses!" Really concentrates the sunlight to a pinpoint! Fun to tear the lenses apart too, hacksaw anyone?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top