JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Let's NOT get in the news this summer! I don't want to hear, or read, about a fire that was started by target shooting. I certainly don't want to be the one responsible for it either! None of us do. So go prepared each and every time.

FIRE SAFETY IN TARGET SHOOTING on public lands...

ALWAYS take your fire suppression gear!!! It's part of our everyday recreation tools.

BECAUSE YOU ARE THE FIRST RESPONDER!

• Fire Extinguisher
  • Extra Water
  • Shovel
I like to also take an axe and a machete just for kicks (the machete is Full-Auto!).

Display that gear where everyone can see it. It shows we are responsible shooters and reminds others to start doing it right. NO FIRES IS OUR GOAL!

For more about fire prevention in recreational shooting visit: Fire Safety in Target Shooting

Fire at the target not forest.jpg

Great reminder Bill. A shovel, a gallon+ of water, and a fire extinguisher are always in our car anyways but getting them out in plain sight while shooting is a great idea to set a good example for passers by.

looks like "large capacity" fire extinguisher and water container. and that collapsible shovel qualifies as an Assault tool designed to be used only by certified personnel. Looks a lot like someone is planning on performing an action with out the proper environmental impact study. untrained subjects must be limited in their ability to scar the environment:rolleyes:

looks like "large capacity" fire extinguisher and water container. and that collapsible shovel qualifies as an Assault tool designed to be used only by certified personnel. Looks a lot like someone is planning on performing an action with out the proper environmental impact study. untrained subjects must be limited in their ability to scar the environment:rolleyes:
lol. And foaming agents, aka "kegs" are to be used only after all practice equipment has been stowed.

C8924DC5-B0F6-4450-9199-8DCAC03046B4.jpeg Our ranch fire wagon. What used to be common sense (and the law) has gone by the wayside with too many uncaring urban people. Shovel, axe and bucket were manditory for rural travel. It is part of the same issue as leaving trash at a shooting sight. We are really headed down the road of making shooting in public lands during the summer or fire season illegal the same as they have with fireworks. We are just finishing a similar slip in fire unit to sell.......fiberglass tank, 20 hp pump, hose reel, 100 foot hose and nozzle. Also fun in a water gun fight.

Last Edited:
Do they still have the regulation regarding shovel size? It was (IIRC) blade at least 8 inches dia. and handle at least 26'' in length. An ODFW guy told me this 7-8 yrs ago and told me that a small folding shovel could get you a ticket if some one wanted to screw with you.
It's still at least a 2 1/2 lb extinguisher as far as I know.

Do they still have the regulation regarding shovel size? It was (IIRC) blade at least 8 inches dia. and handle at least 26'' in length. An ODFW guy told me this 7-8 yrs ago and told me that a small folding shovel could get you a ticket if some one wanted to screw with you.
It's still at least a 2 1/2 lb extinguisher as far as I know.
I don't see anything different, so, I'm sure that's still the rule.

The info I found is from the Oregon Department of Forestry Fire Protection District, says:

https://www.oregon.gov/ODF/Fire/FirePreventionDocuments/2017 Fire Season Requirements.pdf

FIRE TOOLS, EXTINGUISHERS FOR TRUCKS
(ORS 477.655, OAR 629-043-0025)
Equip each truck driven in forest areas for industrial purposes with:
  • 1 round pointed shovel at least 8 inches wide, with a handle at least 26 inches long
  • 1 axe or Pulaski with 26 inch handle or longer
  • 1 fire extinguisher rated not less than 2A:10BC (5 pound).
But it doesn't say specifically about target shooting. If you find something more specific, please post it here!

Thanks

Bill

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews